main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social Hooper McFinney's RPF Bar & Grille 7.5 - "Loving the lens flare since 1977!” -!

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Penguinator, Feb 8, 2013.

1. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    Most of it is probably to be answered by @Sinrebirth and @Corellian_Outrider as Mods, but the rule was the "Two Games Rule" with a third on permission, I believe. I have struggled with it once when SotS was divided into two games. Mods might say more about it, but it seems abandoned.

I actually think "the move" not counted we have a smaller RPF than ever before. Same players everywhere, divided into three groups of players entertaining a number of games each.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    DarthIshyZ, HanSolo29 , Bravo and 4 others like this.
  2. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Who is this '@Sonrebirth' speak of? I do know of a @Sinrebirth :p I tease because........well it's what I do! :p

DarthIshyZ, Bravo, QueenSabe7 and 2 others like this.
  3. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Mr @Bravo, kind sir.

It’s an interesting point in the RPF, I would definitely say. While yes, the most obvious change is the removal of the two-game rule, and indeed the overall interest in Star Wars recovered in the build-up to Episode VII, (for good and for bad, depending on your POV), but what I like to think has happened is that the RPF consolidated itself.

As we grew smaller, we grew more close-knit, and formed franchises rather than one-offs - be it a long running single game, or a series of interconnected games. Many of us have repeat actors, or have had long-term players. The family, indeed interconnected and interrelated families, at the heart of the RPF is what forms the bedrock of the community. I imagine our demographic is on average a bit older for it, but we do have newer members also.

We still have a group of thirty plus players rolling through several games to varying levels, and when you came down to it I like to think many of the current group are people who were always the Core, even in the past heyday. We’ve had some Big Names move on from the RPF, but we’ve also had other names rise up. I imagine the Core group hasn’t changed its numbers all too much, but I am probably one of the new(er) names, having only really started GMing fifteen years ago.

Shrug. It’s happened, and I am sure the perhaps belated relaxation of the 2 game-GM rule has some raised some eyebrows, but I do like how active we are, and that we have franchises led by GM’s such as yourself, Fins, @Bardan_Jusik, myself and so on. It’s a solid cast and reading along is always exceptional fun.

That being said, @DarkLordoftheFins, I would certainly have released that rule more formally and directly if asked. 100%. Not sure if I was RPF Mod then, mind you. I’ve been a Mod for so very long now.

Similarly, even though the rule has been relaxed, it would still be frowned upon to open and abandon several games at a time, which was what the original rule was aimed at in my eyes.

In very short; it’s you guys which have done this, not the rules or the Disney (zombie?) Resurrection. But after the Prequels ended there is no doubt in my eyes that we were struggling, especially with the books/comics taking a darker turn, so whether it’s Disney or merely that we have Sequel films at all that has helped, I can’t say.

(Disclaimer: I am HYPED for TROS.)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  4. LordTroepfchen

LordTroepfchen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2007
    Oh when SotS went up ... that was years before you became RPF Mod, Sinre. Xany had just been appointed.

By that point it was two games. I remember we advocated as a GM duo to not be forced to work around that rule by having proxy GMs start threads and I remember we got a just and fair Mod ruling that if it was for capacity management reasons Games get split, that is not a violation. All good.

I personally appreciate the rule is gone. It made sense at it's time. Times have changed again though.

DarthIshyZ, HanSolo29 , Bravo and 4 others like this.
  5. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    The RMF may be smaller indeed---it just seems bigger because of all the activity.

I got spooked at the "kind sir" opening. I was looking for a ban of me. [face_rofl]

I like you saying that the RPF is more interconnected as a community; I noticed that when I was surfing through a few games the other night before I posted my question. As for the two game rule---traditionally, I like the limitation and the argument of quality verses quantity or similar accidental look-alike repeats of older games by the same GMs (when running multiple games at once). In light of that, however, the ditching of the game rule has clearly helped, so I won't argue with it being gone. I think @LordTroepfchen said it perfectly, the rule had its place and times have changed for it no longer being needed.

6. greyjedi125

greyjedi125 Chosen One star 6

Apr 29, 2002
    Re-establishing my neglected relationship with the EDIT feature. [face_coffee]

7. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    Well, tbh I felt that rule made sense. It divided attention equally. Two were probably a bit too few. But a rule of three or five would probably make sense. If one or two more GMs decided to go down that route and post ... let's say ten games ... these boards would probably look very different and pretty strange.

8. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    *swigs a drink, bemused*

9. QueenSabe7

QueenSabe7 Chosen One star 6

Mar 23, 2001
    *joins, chuckling softly*

Sinrebirth and darthbernael like this.
  10. SirakRomar

SirakRomar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2007
    *laughs and winks*

darthbernael likes this.
  11. QueenSabe7

Mar 23, 2001
    *winks and laughs*

darthbernael likes this.
  12. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    * Stares confused and drinks *

darthbernael and QueenSabe7 like this.
  13. QueenSabe7

Mar 23, 2001
    *shrugs, drinks more, too*

darthbernael likes this.
  14. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Is this some kind of gigglefest? [face_hypnotized]

darthbernael and QueenSabe7 like this.
  15. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
  16. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    So says the madman.

DarthIshyZ and darthbernael like this.
  17. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Says the pot calling the very clean and shiny kettle black................. :p

Sinrebirth and DarthIshyZ like this.
  18. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    He might've called me the madman. I have been recently enteched.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    Sinrebirth likes this.
  19. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Really? That's gross, and I wouldn't even wish it upon you........@Sinrebirth maybe........I dunno......[face_thinking]

darthbernael and Sinrebirth like this.
  20. Kalio_Dynkos

Kalio_Dynkos Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 17, 2004
    Ahh...the bar never changes.

21. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Never, ever.

darthbernael likes this.
  22. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Always someone trying to get @Sinrebirth Enteched ;) Usually me..... :p

darthbernael likes this.
  23. The Jedi in the Pumas

The Jedi in the Pumas Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2018
  24. greyjedi125

greyjedi125 Chosen One star 6

Apr 29, 2002
    Welcome Jedi in the Pumas!

25. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Blu?