main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dev_Binks, Jul 29, 2004.

1. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    It was fun! The subject was Star Wars pinball machines.

2. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @pronker That sounds awesome.

Oh, and I know I'm a fanfic author because I have all these ideas spiraling in my head and currently lack the time to write them. Boo.

pronker and darkspine10 like this.
  3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    PLEASE PLEASE find even a smidge of time because as a reader, I am growing ever fonder of the PT-style goodness. =D=

YKYAFFW ... when random observations need to get written into a fic and when [face_dancing] [face_love] You combine a fic-gift with a challenge entry :cool:

4. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I love that tweet @pronker

Some RL inspirations are too much hassle to turn into full-on fics.
    One idea I had recently, came from protesters climbing onto a tube train roof in London.

I fancied the idea of a star destroyer spying the remains of a tent on the command tower of a sister ship, having lifted off without realising it was up there.

devilinthedetails and pronker like this.
  5. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    When you're trying to get the words down and you liken the process to how cake artists feel trying to pipe icing when the bag is clogged..

6. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    The idea of a fanfic gift exchange fills your little fanfic writer's heart with joy. [face_love]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    mavjade , pronker and brodiew like this.
  7. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    When you start comparing how long it took you write a certain project with your current work since you feel like you're taking longer this time and start to become less sure of yourself, even though you know you're writing longer and more complex instalments that obviously take longer to complete in a satisfactory way.

Also when you have to put a chapter on hold because you're agonising over what birthday presents it would make sense to give to of the characters :p

8. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    you get annoyed when someone reviews an older fan fic and criticizes the fact that a character wasn’t where they were in Canon because you made some assumptions about where said character would be after that many years.

*sighs*

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

pronker likes this.
  9. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    If fanfic has taught me anything, it's that even readers sometimes don't read where/when something takes place, that it's an AU etc. It can be pretty annoying.

10. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    YKYAFFWW you believe Christmas came early because your RL (TM) job gave you yet another fandom-related topic to write about.[face_love]

11. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    ....the other half of a ‘ship demands a chance to give her perspective on what was supposed to be a one-shot. :p

12. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    ....the next story in your queue is about a Gand Findswoman but you’re still in the headspace of an angsty teen Mando.

13. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I got a complaint once that my OC was acting out of character. lol! That is the bad thing about instant feedback. If I was reading a novel and a character was acting strange I would think, "Hmmm...I wonder what the reader doesn't know." And I continue reading. No, I had an upset fan and I have to tell them, "There is a reason he is acting that way." o_O It is called FORESHADOWING!

pronker and Lady_Misty like this.
  14. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    When the desire to write and the proper available time are harder to match up than they used to be.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  15. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    When you keep going back and forth on if you should bring your laptop when you go away for the holidays or not. On one hand, air travel is hard enough, let alone with a laptop - and I could just bring my tablet. But what if inspiration (or pure boredom) hits? For some reason, writing on anything but my laptop isn’t conducive to my creativity.

pronker and devilinthedetails like this.
  16. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    When you are posting here at 3:00 AM.

17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    When you just have to read a word - carbonite for instance [face_laugh] and a ficlet arises. [face_mischief]

~
    When a bowl of raw batter in one story inspires your own. [face_laugh]

18. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    ...when TROS is bouncing around your brain looking for fic opportunities.

pronker likes this.
  19. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    ...when you are struggling how to research how US cops carry or transport their sidearms on domestic flights.

All I have to go by, is a scene in the pilot of NCIS, where there is confusion about being LEOs (which I fully intend to adapt, BTW).

...you get TROS plot bunnies without even having to see the film.

20. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    ...you find a recipe for tiingilar (aka Spicy Mandalorian Stew) in your Galaxy’s Edge cookbook and you have to make it, because you’re writing a story about a character making tiingilar. Oya Mando!

21. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    When you wonder if not enough people have seen the movie or the fic just wasn't that good.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  22. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    ...when your first reaction to unsubstantiated SW rumors is "I guess I'd better hurry up on that fanfic story then". :p

23. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    When you stay up WAAAAY past the time you intended to go to bed because you FINALLY AFTER FOUR STINKING YEARS figure out and have the motivation to finish the scene that was giving you massive writer’s block. It’s not a well written scene but hopefully now I can get on with the rest of the story!

Exeter, Sith-I-5, Thumper09 and 5 others like this.
  24. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    YKYAFFWW a respected author on another site corresponded via PM and review replies from March-November '19, has published 2x weekly since then per usual practice with your regular reviews, and now upholds radio silence since December 1 ... [face_dunno]and a valued pal to pingpong ideas with seems kaput ...

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    brodiew and devilinthedetails like this.
  25. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    ... When you have fits and starts. fits and starts. [face_dunno]

pronker likes this.