main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph HBO's Watchmen

Discussion in 'Community' started by Adam of Nuchtern, May 8, 2019.

1. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I can't help wondering if Redford will turn up in a cameo.

Mortimer Snerd and solojones like this.
  2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    It must be very weird for him lol.

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I think Lindeolf said they didn't even bother asking him because they were working on it when Old Man and the Gun press tour was "Last Robert Redford movie ever!!" (and then he showed up in Avengers: Endgame hahaha)

Great episode, very much like The Constant on Lost or International Spy episodes on Leftovers where it uses a trippy device to drop into another character's life. Also I loved the slow-down speed ramping shot to show Angela's POV when Julie showed up, and it also seemed like a stylistic shout-out to the Synder movie (cuz you really can't do a slow motion shot in Watchmen without thinking of the Synder movie) But Old Man Hooded Justice has a brain controlling flashlight! Maybe him and the clock lady are going for a mass hypnosis killing spree or something. And Ozymandais will return to save the Earth from the mass casualties (maybe he is okay with mass casualties but only on his own dime). It's really hard to say that Hooded Justice killed Judd for "just" reasons, he could have been assuming a hell of a lot (also as a young man he said he idolized not going for mob justice which he is totally doing at the end). Also when did Judd get beat up before he showed up to Hooded Justice's tree? I don't think we've seen that part yet.

Oh and I kept squinting to see Comedian and Sally in the background of Hooded Justice's press conference, which they are there. And Captain Metropolis came off as a much more insensitive jerk than I thought (wasn't he the one who got all sad when Comedian burned his map?) and the American Hero Story flashbacks are pretty hilariously trashy, I guess that and the Ozzy plot are the interlude "pirate comic" storylines in the show. Although the Ozzy plot seems related to the main plot, but there's also a theory that the pirate comic in Watchmen is basically Ozzy's origin story, metaphorically speaking.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  4. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    What a great episode. All of the little nods to Will having once been Hooded Justice were paid off in a very satisfactory way. Bass Reeves (the marshal in the silent black and white serial that kicked the series off) was the inspiration for the Lone Ranger. The black man behind the white man behind the mask. Will had the same relationship to HJ, just all contained within a single individual.

Lindelof is really nailing this series.

5. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    Was there a Bass Reeves adventure serial?

6. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    There was not. The name of the silent film young Will was watching was called "Trust in the Law" which was created for the show but Bass Reeves was very much a real person.

7. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Ok. That one I did not see coming. But I should have.

The minute Lady Trieu said Manhattan was in Tulsa living as a human, I knew it was Cal. I knew the accident they kept talking about was a clue to something, but I sure did not expect him to be Jon. And now that we know Lady Trieu was the one answering prayers, that explains the car dropping in front of Laurie so quickly.

It's clear that Cal fooled Laurie as well- she wouldn't have been in the phone booth. What I want to know now though is how Will learned of this plan and how Trieu is helping.

I am not surprised that Bian is a clone of Trieu's mother and the subtle comment about her father being there soon implies Eddie is her father- not sure how they plan to tackle that.

This also then goes to the whole Adrian storyline though. The only two people powerful enough to imprison him are Jon and Trieu. My guess is Jon did it before he left, but that doesn't make sense if you take into account how long Cal and Angela have been together? Veidt implied he was imprisoned for about 4 years. That makes far more sense for Lady Trieu to be behind the imprisonment- though maybe she did still use a place Jon had created?

Ultimately, Will still has more answers for us. How did he learn of the cyclops plan? How is he still alive? (Also, RIP to poor June- just as she finds her family!)

Also, I LOVE Jean Smart's Laurie "Please don't tell me your plan" It's perfect for someone who dealt with Veidt's "I did it 30 minutes ago".

I am thinking Petey and Looking Glass might rescue Laurie. Unless Angela beats them to it.

Crazy job of weaving things together tonight and yet still so many questions. Almost forgot about the trial- that was certainly some defense. More important though is that a year has passed since his escape. If that is the case, then do we presume a year is passing for each episode we have seen? If so, it's now 8 years that Adrian has been a prisoner. Which begs the question of how long exactly he's been captured and imprisoned. Perhaps he hasn't been missing as long as we suspected?

8. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I still think the car was primarily dropped for Angela. Laurie being at the right place at the right time could have prompted Lady Trieu, her half sister, to drop the car at just the right moment.

Did Cal fool Laurie? She kept calling Cal good looking and seemed to go out of her way to talk to him privately. She's a smart cookie. Is it possible she had those private chats because she wanted to talk to John without him knowing her or their history?

The mother is the woman who the Comedian shot right? What sort of reunion does Trieu have planned for her parents? Do we really think her mother lived to become an old woman? Or is the clone mother seeing memories of other people she appeared in?

Was the purpose of Adrian's imprisionment all for him to feel remorse? What his crying at the end of the trail the intended result?

The one Calvary member found maskless in the bunker - Looking glass took his mask to go under cover right? He's already infiltrated the Calvary's base when Laurie is brought in. Looking Glass may have even been in the background of this episode.

Mortimer Snerd likes this.
  9. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
    Did everyone catch the awesome HBO logo after the show?

[​IMG]

They are absolutely KILLING it with how good this show is. So Cal is Dr. Manhattan. Fine. Ok. I guess. But how? What's with the metal version of his hydrogen atom logo embedded in Cal's head? Also Excalibur....Ex Cal Abar...I dunno. There's a lot to process here and I'll be watching it again at least once while I'm at work today.

VadersLaMent likes this.
  10. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    The next episode is titled
    A god walks into a bar.

A god walks into abar.
    A god walks into Abar.

11. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
    This is pure speculation of course but I just thought that the "D" in Veidt's message might stand for "daughter." Aaand Lady Trieu being that daughter.

12. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    Heh! The elephant in the room.

13. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
    So the elephant...I mean, it's true that elephants possess strong memory function, right? So they're using that power to the regenerative benefit of a mind that may have taken a bit of a beating by overdosing on Nostalgia. I can't imagine it's any more complicated than that but it did make for a great weirdo moment...speaking of which we're gonna need some closure on Lube man.

Edit: Check out the Trieu logo. It's an elephant!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    Yodaminch and VadersLaMent like this.
  14. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Adrian's trial was so The Prisoner it just blew my mind. Patrick McGoohan would have approved, I'm sure.

15. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I've been enjoying everything the show has to offer, including the Peteypedia materials, which sheds much insights into the characters, circumstances and mysteries. Laurie's memo reads exactly how the character talks on screen and gives a clue that will probably help her out in the next episode.

I'm just really hoping the show sticks the landing when the finale is done. I'm sure there will be an open ending element or two, like the comic book series where...

Rorschach's journals is discovered in the crank file.

[​IMG]

16. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Interesting comment from the showrunner

It's a tad spoilerish so
    We’ve got two weeks left to see how it all plays out, but in terms of legacy characters, it looks like we’re tapped out. Lindelof tells THR that Dan Dreiberg aka Nite Owl II won’t be making an appearance this season.

But the important part is 'this season".

17. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    People have mentioned how aha it now is after the numerous Laurie comments but now it’s also an aha thinking back to
    Angela showing hostility to Laurie with her over done shiver at Judds funeral

18. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I had seen someone correctly predict this week's big reveal all the way back in episode 3. I wish I hadn't :p

Anyway, I think if we do get another season, it won't be until 2021 unfortunately. Lindelof also says this is a closed story, so he'd have to come up with something else worthy of another season. It probably will work well as a mini-series.... I'm just really selfish and want this show to keep going :( Most of the shows I love are on their last seasons and it would be great to have another good show up and running. But I'm not holding my breath at this point.

And hey, we gotta find out in this next episode
    where the hell Looking Glass went after he killed all those Seventh Cavalry folks. My guess is he'll rescue Laurie.

19. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I loved how Laurie was legit annoyed with the senator's Big Reveal Monologue because that lady has sat through THE supervillain monologue to end all monologues so anything else would be trite by comparison. Trap door bit was great.

21. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Trieu. Had she not spoken with Angela then she would not have brought forth the hidden Jon. So Trieu is manipulating her to bring Jon out. So, it appears to me two villains are at work here, the politician and Trieu and both might be after the same thing.

22. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I guess we will see if Trieu is a villain. But her mentor is the ultimate anti-hero, so I would guess it's something more along his lines.

23. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I get the feeling that Trieu's father is Ozymandias, mostly because I don't know how she could bring The Comedian along for the big reveal. But since this was a lot of revelations, I get the feeling episode 8 will be pretty flashback heavy as to how Angela married Doctor Manhattan and all (and probably with the flashback/flashforward structure like Doc's spotlight issue or, y'know, Lost). As for Doc taking on a different form of a different person, we haven't seen him do that before, which I believe the show pointed out, but like Doc said reassembling his physical form was the first trick Osterman learned, so I Can buy he pulled off another one.

24. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    Regarding Trieu’s father:

There are some who believe the ‘statue’ of Ozymandias that Trieu has is actually Veidt himself. The scenes we have seen of Adrian happened years ago- this would fit with how we have seen time used both in the comic and the series for far. In the past, Adrian was imprisoned and perhaps this statue is his sentence. There are some who believe HELP ME D- was HELP ME DAUGHTER.
    They then believe that the item that fell to earth while Lady Trieu was purchasing the land was the statue and not the car. This makes sense if we consider that Lady Trieu received Laurie’s prayer and it was likely her that had the car dropped- especially given it was her planes that took the van with William in the first place. So if that’s the case, why would she care about the item falling from the sky- unless she was observing her handiwork? Or, unless she was expecting it to come and that is why she bought the land.

Given that she also said her father would also be present with her mother for the activation of the Millennium Clock, the statue would then make sense.

25. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Where was that at? i thought the bodies said "save me" or did I miss something?