main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lucas felt betrayed by Disney

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by KING_KENOBI, Sep 24, 2019.

1. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    There was no intent to embarrass you. The conversation was moved because it was off topic but interesting.

Outsourced likes this.
  2. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    1. Not sure what you mean by that? How do people treat Lucas?
    2. That's subjective. I love all of his creative decisions.
    3. While it would have been amazing to have 4 billion dollars, I really don't wanna start thinking about what kind of regrets or pain I would need to go through in order to get that money, so I cannot relate at all. If I made a discovery and deserved a Nobel prize for it but instead I was offered to receive 4 billion dollars for someone else to get all credit, that would kinda suck as a dilemma. George Lucas won't take the 4 billion dollars in his grave you know, so it is perfectly acceptable in my opinion for him to have strong feelings about his legacy and the work he's leaving behind. If I ever created something as big as Star Wars has become, I surely wouldn't want for it to down in history as something that might not express who I am and what I wanted to communicate with my work.

3. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I'll say this for George... he made the decision to sell to Disney instead of hire executives to manage Lucasfilm for him, put his kids(probably Katie) in powerful positions as his personal representative, and make the movies he wanted to make while hiring younger directors and writers to do the job. He could have done that. He could have bankrolled it. He didnt need to sell to Disney.

I think he did that largely because of this fanbase. We raked him over the coals for the PT. A subsection of us, myself included, got angry with him for not respecting his licensed contracted stories in video games, comics and novels. Everyone that hated mention of midi-chlorians would have lost their minds at his sequels. And the avid readers of the Expanded Universe would still have felt slighted by his ejection of it as well.

George knew from the start thay selling his baby to the Hollywood machine might be bad. That's why he retained merch and sequel rights way back in 77! Now he gets $4 billion dollars and a bit of redemption with segments of the fanbase that talked poodoo about him for the price of letting someone else take over what he built.

Maybe it would have been better to have George keep SW and LFL but put others in charge. Who knows. I'm still enjoying the Star Wars we are getting. It not being exactly what George wanted doesn't finish that.

If his sequel conception and the midi-chlorians stuff was going to lean into the Yoda arc of TCW, that might have interested me. If it was basically Innerspace, I think he would've lost the plot. Either way, it's just as much a crap shoot as what came with Disney. I still would have initially been pissed off to lose the Thrawn trilogy from canon.

Sorry he feels betrayed. But his sense of betrayal(and my understanding is this was more over TFA being *extremely* safe SW than it was TLJ) doesn't necessitate my feeling betrayed in solidarity. After all, George sometimes made me feel that way as a fan of the EU.

IG: @jedisufism

Shadao, Jamtia1, heels1785 and 3 others like this.
  4. AllTheSingleMaras

AllTheSingleMaras Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 16, 2019
    Well said, and I do agree with numerous points. It’s like... I get it George, but you chose to hand it over so... spilt milk.

I’d still like to meet him and geek out about his vision and behind the scenes. I’d have the patience to listen to an old man rant.

Dawud786 and Tython Awakening like this.
  5. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    I wish Lucas could have held on to SW and interacted with the fans into his retirement.

AllTheSingleMaras likes this.
  6. Eike Starseeker

Eike Starseeker Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 1, 2019
    Is betrayed really the right word?
    I think regret is more fitting.
    He should have known what happens if he sells Star Wars to disney.
    Disney can do now whatever they want, they can extent it, remake everything or ruin it completely,.
    I believe George Lucas now regrets it really, I would.

7. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    he's like Lando. "This deal is getting worse all the time." :vader::lando::p

8. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Disney is like the emperor and GL is vader. Everything has proceeded s theiy have forseen.

cratylus likes this.
  9. Clankers in pyjamas

Clankers in pyjamas Jedi Youngling

Dec 3, 2019
    George should have sold star wars for much more.

Tython Awakening likes this.
  10. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    He sold it for what it was worth. It was worth what someone was willing to pay for it.

Which was a huge monkeyload of dough.

11. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    Ugh "free" economy [face_sick]

wobbits and Tython Awakening like this.
  12. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    I Agree @clankers

Let's not forget Lucas sold Lucasfilm, an entire company. There are forgettable tech startups that have sold for more without mentioning names. The price was a surprise. Lucas selling out was a surprise.

I haven't seen any signs that Lucas shopped around or bargained for the price. He set it up as a sweet deal for Disney.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  13. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018

Quotation marks are for Soviets.

Jeez.

14. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    Ok boomer?

15. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    [face_laugh] God that phrase is obnoxious.

Thanks...Woodrow Wilson, or something.

Tosche_Station likes this.
  16. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Ok Boomer.

17. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    Has it proceeded in the manner you describe? Your Vader (Lucas) is retired. Is Bob Iger the Emperor leading a massive imperial bureaucracy (Disney)? He is set to retire one day as well. The best laid plans of mice and men.... You speak to aggrandizing power in the entertainment and arts world as if it was deserving artistic merit on its own. That is sad to me. :( ;) We need independent thinkers. We don't need more corporation-sellout automatons.

DarthFixxxer likes this.
  18. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    Better refrain from using the personal computer or cell phone you're on then, chief.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  19. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    [​IMG]

Tython Awakening likes this.
  20. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
  21. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    The whole real effects stuff bantha poop, each prequel by themselves used more practical effects than the entire put together. One of the largest and longest running threads on the PT boards here is a catalogue of all of it.

22. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    Plus both JJ & Rian have a respect for the prequels, so...

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  23. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Could've fooled me.

wobbits, Shadao, Veloz and 6 others like this.
  24. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Luke's arc in TLJ has pretty clear ties to the Prequels. The whole fall of the Jedi Order as orchestrated by Darth Sidious marks a clear failing in the Jedi's teachings that opened them up to that kind of corruption. Luke pretty much says as much.

25. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    And Luke embarks on a course of action that literally does nothing to ameliorate that and has nothing to do with that plot point whatsoever. In a trilogy that tries its damndest to not be the prequels to the detriment of its own story in just about every narrative choice it makes. OK.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019