main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars (2020 Post-TESB Series)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Oct 4, 2019.

1. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    I am currently watching The Freemaker Adventures on DIsney+ (It's pretty funny)
    In it, Lando sends the Freemakers to Cloud City to retrieve his clothes, specifically his cape.

Barriss_Coffee and Iron_lord like this.
  2. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Tie up this guy's story arc already. I really appreciated his character until him and his squad were turned into the fodder of the week. Now that Luke has grinded his XP with Yoda, have Luke dispatch him, take the saber, bond with the kyber crystal and eventually construct a new one. It works well. Better than just happening upon a new crystal.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    Ventrix, BigAl6ft6 and chrcharcor2 like this.
  3. The Raddinator

The Raddinator Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2017
    To my mind the best that the Marvel SW comics have been is still Gillen's initial Vader series; a tight 25 issue run focused on bringing the character from where he was in one movie to where he was the next time we saw him. The first 12 or so issues of Aaron's SW, the first 3 arcs of Gillen's SW, and maybe especially Soule's Vader have all done bits and pieces of that too, although IMO each less successfully for different reasons. I really hope that the new SW and Vader can replicate that format by keeping things tight and focused, keeping to a plan in advance.

Part of the reason those early 2015 issues were successful was also that they were able to hit BIG moments that we know must have happened but hadn't directly seen - most obvious Vader finding out Luke's identity. Wondering what similar moments there are for the ESB / ROTJ frame. Off the top of my head:

-Luke building his lightsaber (as discussed above)
    -The Rebels regrouping from their post-Hoth scattering
    -Vader going from 'join me and together we will rule the galaxy!' to 'I MUST obey my master!"

And of course there are also new challenges; above all, how do you justify Luke not going back to Dagobah and the gang not going to Tatooine for Han right away....

Vialco, Darth Caliban and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Luke going from "Nooooooo!!" to "There's still good in him, I can feel it" between ESB and ROTJ was always a pretty big leap that never got covered in Shadows of the Empire, hopefully Soule shows us how Luke came to that conclusion. (I still think there's room for another post-Bespin/pre-Endor Vader/Luke confrontation, meeting, whatever to get Luke to that point)

FS26 and Darth Caliban like this.
  5. Gantarat

Gantarat Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 19, 2019
    I want lumiya/shira back to canon.

ArindaRise likes this.
  6. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Ya all like Shadows of the Empire? Here's a really fun thirty-four minute retrospective of it by a lovable Australian fella.

7. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    So my guess is this series’s will give us the mission where “many Bothans died to give us this information” and the Death Star 2 location?

JediFett10 likes this.
  8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Aw I was hoping they were going to save that for their next Oculus game, like a secret mission. Where you play Palpatine of course, not the Bothans. And kill all Bothans. Palpatine Immortal. Bothans not.

9. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    Bothans are hidden in nu canon for a reason . They don't even say the legends design is what the canon Bothans look like anymore

10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    How can they when there were, like, 7 designs?

Jeff_Ferguson likes this.
  11. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    By Closing their eyes and picking one of the 7 :p

12. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    Pretty sure there was in the Charles soul Vader run in the background.

13. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    When I was a kid I used to imagine that the reason we didn't see the Bothans in ROTJ was because they were so bizarre and strange that the makeup and effects of the time couldn't make them a reality. The Bothans that lived in my head were ten foot tall translucent humanoids that could blend into their surroundings like chameleons (which is the sort of thing that ten year old me thought would make an excellent spy). Compared to what I'd imagined back in the day, the various Legends designs we ultimately got felt... a little bland, I guess. I'm not asking for tall translucent aliens or anything, but if we're going to finally see canon Bothans in this rebooted series I'd love for them to be very exotic. Go a little nuts and create something entirely different from the types of designs what we've seen previously. You have my permission, Jesús Saiz! :)

BigAl6ft6 and darthzac14 like this.
  14. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I would like to see something similar to their Legend designs, TBH. But yes, all in all, Bothans have been treated like Boba Fett by the new canon so far.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  15. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    Given how poorly most of them were written, I have no problem with this.
    But yes yes yes, give me more lead Luke stories. ESB to ROTJ is his time to shine.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    The Bothan design from Legends has already appeared in canon. It's just that we don't know if that design = Bothans, or the Legends Bothans are called something else in canon.

[​IMG]

PimpBacca likes this.
  17. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Until I started reading Legends I figured Bothans were shapeshifters.

18. JLG

JLG Jedi Master star 1

May 11, 2005
    I know Pablo hates it when people reads into stuff he says (which is part of why he stopped using social media publicly in the first place), but a few years back on Twitter he agreed with me when I said I always thought these little weirdos were supposed to be Bothans, so I wonder if LFL is slowly adopting that view as official for a reveal at a later date:

[​IMG]

Barriss_Coffee and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  19. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Nah, Dressellians have appeared in tons of canon material. I think it'd be a bit too late to try and reclassify them as Bothans now.

Sturm Antilles likes this.
  20. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Did you guys watch ROTJ on D+? Mon Mothma now says "Many Maclunky's died to bring us this information." so we don't have to discuss Bothans anymore.

21. JLG

JLG Jedi Master star 1

May 11, 2005
    Hey, maybe Bothans are just Dressellians from a planet called Both, lol.

BigAl6ft6 and Commander_Andersen like this.
  22. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Also, Orrimaarko (Prune Face) is described in Resistance Reborn as a "battle strategist", not a spy, so there's that, too.

I think the whole Bothan thing with new canon is that Disney/LFL were probably hoping to make a "Rogue Two" anthology film at some point, showing how the many Bothans died, and they didn't necessarily want to be limited by Bothans being weird dog people.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    ^ that's probably it, so I'm guessing they'll hold off on the DSII plans for this book. Maybe. I mean, I always figured Ben to Ren would happen in a movie or miniseries and we're getting a comic. (I had a wacky idea back when the canon reboot happened that they can make "Bothans" like a super secret spy agents. Agents of B.O.T.H.A.N.)

To be fair, LFL probably held off on post ESB time period for years for Marvel because maybe they had a plan to do another big Shadows style project for that time period but eventually after 75 issues Marvel asked to move to that period and LFL said hey why not.

Anyway, Bothans can't be Prune Face, he already has his own story

24. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Luke doing a pilgrimage across the galaxy to uncover information about his father would be cool.

going to various planets from The Clone Wars, where locals tell him about how Anakin affected their lives in a positive way.

EDIT: is the term “bothan spy” ever even used in ROTJ? Now that I think about it, “many bothans died” is all I can remember.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    "The Empire has made a critical error and the time for our attack has come. The data brought to us by the Bothan spies pinpoint the exact location of the Emperor's new battle station."

Noash_Retrac and BigAl6ft6 like this.