main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The EPISODE IX - Rise of Skywalker - Thread - Untagged Spoilers Allowed!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ghost, Mar 1, 2018.

1. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    That's just whataboutism. Disney wants a profit, LucasArts wanted to make a profit, George Lucas wanted to make a profit, they were called Ewoks.
    None of that changes the fact that some of the more extremely vocal segment of the Star Wars community have a vested financial interest in complaining as loudly and frequently as possible to generate controversy, which fuels clicks, which directly goes into their pockets.
    And that's the issue, people are already breaking up into camps without actually seeing the damn movie. Yes, you have a 50/50 coin flip on if the reports will be accurate, and suck, or not, but it doesn't change the fact it's still hearsay, and the individual impact on the viewer will be just that, individual.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  2. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    If Disney wants profit they'd just have Baby Yoda appear out of nowhere and walk past Rey and Kylo at the climax of Episode IX and win the day singlehandedly... not AOTC battle Yoda style but cutie-staring-contest that every enemy looses and jumps down a bottomless shaft willingly!

Cue final scene of Forceghost Luke looking back and forth between Baby Yoda and Force Ghost Yoda who snickers and says the last words of the movie: "Love you make, not war. That way win you do always!" (and yes Luke facepalms at every redhead he ignored for Jedi celibacy :p)

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  3. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Are we sure Luke ignored the redheads or they were ignoring him in Canon? I mean, we have no indication Canon Luke is the ladies' man his Legends counterpart was.

This is the same guy who Camie wouldn't even look at in favor of Fixer (yeah Legends Luke had the same problem but his dating situation changed rapidly. No indication so far things changed likewise for Canon Luke).

4. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Legends of Luke Skywalker and few other books have ladies interested in him, even in Marvel comics he is flirtmaster!

5. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    his girlfriends have mostly always been black in nu canon he also had eyes for aphra but she's a lesbian

6. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    So, people see those crazy video titles...and they actually click on them?

7. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    I mean, have you seen their view counts? The last I saw was something like, "EPISODE 9 DISASTER" and it already had a few million hits.
    And its a self-reinforcing cycle, the Youtube algorithm feeds off negativity and controversy, the more you watch, the more you're exposed to similar content. It's practically the Star Forge at this point. It's not something just confined to Star Wars, but it's been especially noticeable of late.
    I remember specifically just clicking on Last Jedi content like reviews or comedy videos a few months after its release, I would constantly get those "feminists at Disney ruined my childhood" in my suggested videos, even though I never watched them, and even down voted several which were especially click-baity.

8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yep, if there is a real life dark side YouTube's algorithm is an excellent contender.

masterskywalker and Gamiel like this.
  9. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    The latest tv spot shows the dagger in closeup with visible writing on it... is it only me or did they use "The Old Tongue" McQuarrie runes on it instead of Sith kittat?

I like the use, but nobody should make the error and retcon it into being a Sith script given Jedi places use it too. I elaborated on this just yesterday/last night in my other topic before said spot hit us!

https://boards.theforce.net/threads...-times-and-the-origin-of-forceusers.50052098/

10. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    So did the leaks talk about a a dagger?

Cause here is a new tv spot with a dagger in focus.

ColeFardreamer likes this.
  11. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Yes, they did. This lines up exactly, as Jason Ward has pointed out on Twitter.

AusStig likes this.
  12. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010

So does this mean

It's true all of it? (I couldn't find a good meme)

Be funny if doom-guy was right after all.

13. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Doomcock's stuff is all nonsense; Jason Ward (of Making Star Wars) and JediPaxis on Reddit have been on the money so far (and they first brought up the Sith dagger being a MacGuffin). These trailers and TV spots have increasingly been lining up with their leaks (though people think that's because those two have only actually seen the promo material and are basing their leaks on that). Either way, some of the leaks are panning out.

Gharlane and AusStig like this.
  14. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Then jediPaxis is truth :p

Still is interesting that some leaks are true.

15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    this all feels very spoilery lately (even I've been shutting down on ads so far) so Ima gonna bow out for a bit. Definitely going to rewatch Mortis arc on TCW though what with that dagger and all. But, yah, see you all on the flipside! Love you all, Force be with you, etc. etc.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  16. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Ian's voice in these trailers is very interesting. He makes Palpatine sound so much older, which is certainly on purpose - remember his "Roll it again" from Celebration in its full classic throaty Palpatine prime. So this could be a really sick feeble Emperor (who never died and wasn't cloned) that's like 118 years old or whatever.

17. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Why would someone who's literally 118 years old want to retake the galaxy? Would someone that close to the end of natural life (even a darksider like Palpatine) care anymore? It would only make sense if Palpatine had life extension methods (technological or Force based) available.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    Nom von Anor likes this.
  18. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Ian played a lot with the timbre of his voice in ROTS and ROTJ, that's probably just what he's doing here. We're getting these deep gravelly snippets, but I bet he'll speak more naturally as well.

19. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    What else could he do? Palpatine doesn't strike me as the kind of person who would enjoy any kind of retirement. If he's alive he's going to be doing something. Something evil and unnecessarily complicated.

Though the idea of Palps at a senior's home zapping other old folks with lightning when they beat him at canasta and then shuffling off to supper at 4pm amuses me greatly.

Sent from my SM-G390W using Tapatalk

20. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Palpatine probably would have his scientists working daily on rediscovering that Plagueis life extension technique, with him zapping under-performing scientists.

In his free time, he will then meet with younger supporters for a Sith holocron study group, then go and post on his holotwitter:

Emperor@imperial.emp -- Fresh news today that criminal, usurper, and cult leader (of the Jedi cult I personally outlawed years ago) Luke Skywalker tried to cut down his own nephew and student! Thankfully he survived and led a righteous protest against his psychotic uncle. See the headlines at www.holonetnews.com . I myself have never forgotten the countless brave Imperial officers Luke slaughtered at Yavin. Is this the man you want running your galaxy?

JediFett10 and Gamiel like this.
  21. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    He's the Emperor, not ****ing Trump.

JediFett10 likes this.
  22. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    So Ian was in his 30's when he did ROTJ right? Why'd they take a young guy and put all this makeup on to make him look old, as opposed to just casting an old guy?

23. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Probably because they were filming in the UK and he is a very good actor. Also most of the 'baddies' in the OT were British.

PCCViking and Jedi Ben like this.
  24. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    The story was they saw him in a play, convincingly playing an older man in makeup. They wanted an actor who could do the demands of the role (including getting hoisted up and thrown down the pit) so Ian's youth was a factor there.

From rumors I heard (I can't find a link now) Ian was actually ROTJ director's Richard Marquand choice and Lucas needed to be convinced at the time to go with him. Marquand is probably the one to ask this question of, and unfortunately he's not around anymore to answer them. :(

Of course Lucas came around to Ian's performance and cast him in the prequels and has repeatedly praised Ian's acting in them. :emperor:

25. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    There was an elderly actor cast before Ian McDiarmid: His name was Alan Webb