main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The EPISODE IX - Rise of Skywalker - Thread - Untagged Spoilers Allowed!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ghost, Mar 1, 2018.

1. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    I'm sure Mr. Webb would have been a fine actor in the role, but Ian's fantastic performance and the coincidence of his age allowing him to return for the prequels, things worked out for the best as far as I'm concerned with Palpatine casting.

2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Ian is such a joy to watch that even if the movie is meh, seeing him reprise Palpatine with dramatic theatrics one more time will be worth it. Preferably seeing him open a can of whoopass on Kylo. Like I don't care if he fights Rey or Luke's resurrected clone cyborg or whatever, I just want to see him give Kylo the force spanking he deserves.

3. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Strictly speaking in-universe (real world opinions of Kylo Ren aside), why would Palpatine do this? Kylo wiped out the New Jedi trainees and converted the rest to Knights of Ren, destroyed the Republic capital, and forced Luke Skywalker to die in a Force projection gone wrong. He also killed General Han Solo who helped destroy Palpatine's Death Star 2.

Yeah I get Palpatine's not really the grateful type, but come on. Kylo did 90% of Palpatine's work for him leading up to this film (whatever happens in this film itself) and Palpatine presumably (we don't know his mental state in the film, so I'm extrapolating) still has enough sense to acknowledge that.

In-universe, leading up to this film Palpatine has no reason to beat up Kylo other than to satisfy some people on another planet called Earth who really hate him. And Palpatine doesn't answer to them. :emperor:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    Gamiel likes this.
  4. ImpKnight

ImpKnight Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2008
    They knew it was Episode 6, so maybe planning for the future?

5. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    (Not speaking for Coffee here, but situations where I could imagine such happening: )

In the case of Kylo turning on Palpatine, should that happen? (E.g. siding with or defending Rey in a two-way or three-way showdown, or wanting her as his own apprentice instead of Palpatine's, if they're trying to sway her to the dark side.)

If Palpatine decides he doesn't wanna bother convincing a turned Kylo to bow down again, or that Kylo is interfering too much with whatever his intentions are for Rey, he could very well zap him like Zeus.

Sure, having an obedient Kylo would be useful to Palpatine, but maybe Kylo is for whatever reason now too belligerent to bother with, or now useless (e.g. cut off from the Force, maybe? I dunno, I'm not very imaginative, and I haven't been closely following spoilers on Kylo's fate.)

I'll agree here -- leading up to this film. But who knows where Kylo's character arc might go in this film. (Someone's gonna say "the leakers/insiders" lol but again I haven't been keeping up on those deets.)

vncredleader and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  6. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    I guess I'm thinking more along the lines of when Megatron-turned-Galvatron returned from his near-death stint in the original Transformers movie and ousted Starscream.

I'm sure there's a better analogy, but that was the first that came to mind. Kylo and Hux are kids at play, and Palpatine shows up and does the hold my beer meme.

7. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    no

8. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Like this?[​IMG]

IG: @jedisufism

9. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    "Megatron is that you ?"
    "Here's a hint"

Such a great line =D=

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    Revanfan1, DelRiego, AusStig and 2 others like this.
  10. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Palpatine: The great Darth Vader was a sick man in an iron mask!
    Kylo: Yeah, well I'm a healthy man in an iron mask! :kylo:

(audience groans)

11. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Rey: You STABBED your father, you are anything BUT healthy

Gamiel and Jedi Ben like this.
  12. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    MASSIVE SPOILERS, I'M NOT KIDDING. If you don't mind read anyway to get the joke (yes it's spoilery).
    Kylo: You're about to stab your grandfather so that makes us even.

Gamiel and ColeFardreamer like this.
  13. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013

[face_rofl]

Rey: I hope this isn't hereditary...
    cue a little kid stepping around Rey looking at Kylo: Mommy is that my father?
    Kylo's puzzled face... worth billions: But we only held hands!
    Rey: This is family friendly Star Wars, what did you think holding hands means in this galaxy?
    Palpatine taking his great grandchild on his lap playing with the kid meanwhile as its parents fight it out...

14. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Kylo's coronation, when Palpatine comes in and blasts stuff

Kylo: Who disrupts my coronation!?

Palpatine: Coronation Kylo, this is bad comedy.

15. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    @ColeFardreamer not a quoted reply since we had too big a spoiler there.

I don't know if your last joke was a spoiler or just a Reylo joke, but I'm pretty sure Reylo won't happen. The majority of fans hate the idea, and I think after the TLJ Reylo mishap and how poorly that was received, they're going back to the original take of Kylo being a stereotypical hateful incel (even though him and his physique don't really reflect incels and the focus on the violent ones ignores the peaceful incels who do need help--the most accurate peaceful incel portrayal I've seen in sci-fi fiction is Geordi La Forge, who never got a girlfriend despite being a good man and fine officer. In the end, his disability hindered all attempts at romance and he was forced to deal with hormones via holodeck.)

16. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013

Don't worry it was a joke ;)

If shipping anybody it'd be Kylo with an as of yet nonexistant redhead girl from his youth in the Jedi Academy ;)

But Disney's reactionism to the ever changing backlashs and moods annoys me and is really no great way to do stories. I prefer Lucas artistic vision. It too changed over time and adapted but he did not bow to fanoutrage. His way was far from perfect but solid. Disney does great movies, I loved TLJ as way better than TFA, which I had problems with but it grew on me over time. But overall Disney lacks some coherence Lucas always maintained. Hard to put in words, Disney has continuity and more but it lacks something.

sidv88 likes this.
  17. Xammer

Xammer Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2009
    I felt the same with FOTJ vs LOTF. LOTF was more like hey, this is our vision and we want to realize it, we don't care what you think about it. FOTJ was like okay, you didn't like that, what would you like, maybe a slavery subplot.

18. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    If Kylo cut off Rey's arm would it make you more ok with reloy or less?

Gamiel likes this.
  19. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013

Neither works... but if you want to sell the idea of Reylo, she has to cut off his arm. He is the Prince of (New) Alderaan after all!

Bonus points if they reveal he only dyed his hair black to fit his mood and armor and he actually is a reddish-blonde beneath!

PS: I could probably rant on for hours about how Reylo is genderbend Jacen/Tenel Ka... Jacen Solo in icedrill Vongship in Vector Prime mirrors how Rey squeazed into the Falcons excape pods in TLJ. Kylo teasing Rey and showing his workout figure in TLJ Forcescype is just like well trained Tenel Ka teasing lovesick Jacen in YJK. Now all that is missing is that Rey dies to protect him as he continues to rule the galaxy as Surpreme Leader slowly transforming the victorious First Order into an orderly and benevolent good government proper. Long may he reign! (For to finish what Vader started, may be to rule the galaxy as Vader asked Luke to join him doing in TESB? Imagine Vader had ruled after the Emperors demise and turned the entire Empire around to a benevolent version with adding more democratic elements.)

SWpants and AusStig like this.
  20. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    So, only a week or so away. I’m both excited and nervous :)

21. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Actually the closer we get, the less exited and nervous I get. I am not one for hypes and especially in stressful December, I get more and more glad it soon is over and known. Debates and various interpretations of the movie may take years... and until April delivers us the Art book and novelisation and bluray specials we got another wait anyway to get the official take on it all. In fact fanlife is to live from one countdown to a movie to another to the novelisation to another to the next tv show or next movie or next book...

The crazier social media and media presence gets, the less I take part in it. Bascially every movie release, celebration or otherwise social media explodes. I am too old for this.

canuckmuse likes this.
  22. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Some posters just want to watch the net burn!

The Internet, 10 days from now:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  23. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    I'm sad we won't have this thread to speculate crazy stuff in anymore.

One week until the Glove of the Dark Empire Prince, starring Matt Smith, a giant prophetic baby head, and a knockoff Mortis dagger.

24. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    and some weird demon face and Someone (Dark Rey) having Fangs

25. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    One of those got cut and its not him ;)

Hey we got new stuff to crazy speculate about then... like the Kenobi series. If they pull a Last of the Jedi younger reader book series inspiration into it, Kenobi might save a fellow Jedi and have him/her infiltrate the Inquisitorious to save and find more survivors... given no Ferus Olin in canon yet and Ahsoka busy elsewhere as Leia's guaridan, maybe Kenobi saves Barriss Offee to have her be his double agent within the Inquisitorious?

They could even sprinkle in some TFU vibes and have her trained by Vader as he did with Starkiller and Lumiya... and have her loyalities ambigious like a true double agent... so she can become the new canons Lumiya ultimately?

See, I need no movie to do crazy speculation!