main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends "Widened Circles" for OTP City/Country Mouse Challenge

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, Dec 11, 2019.

1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Title: "Widened Circles"

By: WarmNyota_SweetAyehsa

Pairing: Luke/Mara

Genre: Mush and Humor

AN: This is for the OTP "City/Country Mouse" challenge.

Scenario: Each person is in the other's millieu and adjusts somewhat ;)

------

Leia could not help but see how deliriously happy Mara made Luke, as was plainly evident during a family supper when the two of them could not keep their eyes off each other, and the kids unanimously and enthusiastically welcomed Mara with hugs and pleadings for 'bedtime' stories. Mara was a little stunned by the affectionate displays, but it was obvious that she was touched by the sincerity of it all.

Today, Mara and Leia were at a family-owned restaurant and Mara was insisting that any wedding plans be as non-ostentatious as possible.

Leia was all too sympathetic with such sentiments, but Luke's public role demanded some pomp and fuss, unfortunately. She had discovered that in the case of her own nuptials.

"I'll handle it," she assured Mara, "I'll make sure to strike the balance between elegant and comfortable, if there is such a thing!" Her eyes laughed.

Mara smiled back gratefully, feeling a surprising ease in Leia's company. She had thought that perhaps Leia was just being diplomatically courteous to her because of Luke and her long-ingrained training, but in this informal setting, it was clear that Leia was genuinely willing and ready to accept Mara for Mara's own sake, and Mara felt a flush of gladness ... of belonging.

During a celebratory reception held aboard the Wild Karrde, Luke and Aves struck up a friendly conversation about surprise run-ins with nefarious types like bounty hunters, fringe pirate gangs.

Faughn and Shada teased Mara shamelessly about her 'conquest'.

Ghent shyly congratulated the couple on their betrothal, and Karrde was his usual genial self.

A game of sabacc followed and lasted well into the night with much laughter and jocularity. Luke won more than one hand, having learned from one of the best players around. By the end of the night's festivities, Luke found that he had gained a whole new circle of friends.

end

+++

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  2. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Kawaii! Just so cute all the way around. Of course Luke learned how to be a card shark from Lando.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    What a sweet contribution to the challenge! Both Luke and Mara have their moments of nonplussedness as they meet each other's friends, relatives, and associates, but thanks to their essential goodness at heart they each find ways to fit in and enjoy themselves and feel welcomed—which is so much of what their own relationship to each other is about, after all! Very nice work, and thanks so much for sharing and being part of this! =D=

4. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    This is adorable! I love the bonding between Mara and Leia. They are so different but they are sisters at heart. Leia, as usual, steps into the leadership role and takes the reins on this "diplomatic mission" to create a tasteful, elegant, and above all controllable wedding ceremony. Of course Mara is at first suspicious, then delighted to discover that Leia's intentions are completely genuine. She sincerely likes Mara and is happy for her.
    Then we see Luke with Mara's "family" and how they bond, fitting in with shared tales of adventure and card games. Just like any family would!
    Lovely scenes and a great answer to the challenge. :D@};-

5. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Excuse me, but who won the Millennium Falcon playing sabaac? I think Luke learned how to be a card shark from Han.

6. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Aww. Talk of weddings always warms my heart, and I love how Mara senses and appreciates Leia's desire to help with the arrangements for Mara and Luke's wedding. Weddings require so much planning that family support is always appreciated!

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Thanks for the marvelous reviews. LOL I did have Han in mind for the sabacc expert. I do think of Luke and Mara having a surprisingly rewarding experience blending into one another's 'families' as they find affection and acceptance :)

8. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    A great entry to the challenge! A nice girl bonding moment here with Leia and Mara and the latter feeling accepted into the family :D

9. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    great moments before the wedding with both winning friends

10. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh, what a sweet and beautiful glimpse of these two integrating their lives for an even larger and happier family! [face_love]

I will never get enough of Mara bonding with the Solo children - especially Jaina! Of course they have nothing but open hearts for their new aunt. Leia reaching out for a relationship is just as special in its own way. I love the potential for a deep friendship between these two woman, and reading about it in its earlier stages here was just beautiful. [face_love]

Ha! Loved Faughn and Shada's teasing. [face_mischief] [face_tee_hee] And Ghent! [face_love]

Oooh, I especially liked the idea of Luke being a wicked sabacc player; he did learn from the best, you're too right! I don't know why I never thought about that before, but now I am totally adopting that head-canon as my own. :D

Thank-you for sharing this fun and heartwarming piece with us, my friend! It was a perfect response to the challenge. [face_love] =D= [:D]

11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Thanks all for the great reviews. I love the idea of Mara getting used to being enfolded in a family & Luke ... his natural warmth and affable personality would make it comfortable in most settings. As for sabacc [face_laugh] [face_mischief]

12. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Mara spent so much time alone and isolated, must be a breath of fresh air to 'belong'. Nice work.

Kahara and AzureAngel2 like this.
  13. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Nice story, liked the bit with Mara being affectionate with Leia´s kids, really show her becoming a part of the whole family instead of "just" Luke´s girlfriend.

14. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Thanks for keeping the Mara & Luke romance alive in yet another great story of yours. Always a yummy treat to read them.

Kahara and WarmNyota_SweetAyesha like this.
  15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    My unending pleasure and fangirl indulgence :D

Kahara likes this.
  16. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    You know how much I love Luke and Mara! Nice little glimpse into their lives!