main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The EPISODE IX - Rise of Skywalker - Thread - Untagged Spoilers Allowed!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ghost, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    Ignoring track titles, I've listened to the score. Its extremely generic, aside from at least two returning themes from the OT. The promise of having a lot of familiar Prequel music is not here, it follows the trend of the Sequel Trilogy scores being incredibly forgettable. I actually like the scores for Solo and Rogue One, and its ironic because those are the ones NOT done by John Williams, and we know him as the one who made Star Wars alive through music. Third movie in, its been lacking. Extremely so.

2. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Bearing in mind it's not the actual soundtrack album we'll be getting next week. The For Your Consideration versions have tended to miss out established themes before, to focus on the original material. I believe there've been issues in the past with things like Black Swan not being eligible for "Best Score" because it was derived from previous material to such an extent. I'd say that's partly why there's no Main Theme or Finale on the FYC score, and certainly there's other tracks/themes missing.

John Williams's brother already confirmed several themes we've not heard on this, and it's only 50 minutes in total, too; so we've got anywhere up to another 90 minutes of music yet to hear.

Daneira and PCCViking like this.
  3. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    Hopefully. I mean, just because I don't like the ST as movies so far doesn't mean I don't want to see a great movie in RoS and listen to a great soundtrack in relation it. So hopefully none of my worst fears get realized in regards to this movie.

4. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    The FYC soundtrack is not complete. The main theme isn’t even in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Nor is the eight-minute reprise of The Adventures of Jar Jar, sadly.

6. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I think it's the opposite for me. Whenever there's a movie I'm looking forward to, I just sorta put it to the back of my mind, let the hype stew, and I start to think that it'll never be released. Then when I'm sitting in the theater and the lights are going dark, I'm all thinking "Ahhh! I'm not ready for this."

JediFett10 likes this.
  7. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012

(Palpatine) I have been every voice (Snoke) You have ever heard (Darth Vader) Inside your head

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  8. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    McDiarmid is fantastic

Barriss_Coffee and Jedi Ben like this.
  9. boomx2sjk

boomx2sjk Jedi Master star 2

Nov 9, 2012
    So per that clip, Palps has been manipulating everything behind the scenes with Ren. The Vader thoughts. Snoke. Everything. I dig.

10. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Who let Sinre write the screenplay?!

PCCViking, HEDGESMFG, Sly442 and 7 others like this.
  11. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Wait.

Snoke is Palpatine?

Are we really going to just accept this?

What are these last three films about? Kylo's journey of redemption or Rey's journey towards becoming a Jedi while overcoming her dark past? Don't say both because you can't have two primary journey arcs in a film series without it becoming unfocused at the end. As someone pointed out, there was no attempt at forming a relationship/rivalry between Rey and Palpatine. It's just going to look like it comes out of nowhere because it mostly does( except for TLJ comments about her going towards the dark)

Here's a shout out t oall those 2015 Snoke theories: Snoke IS Palpatine. lol

I feel like Belloc after they opened the Ark and all that was in it was sand. Hope we don't all melt next.

lol so awful.

canuckmuse and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  12. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I continue to be delighted by everything coming out about this movie.

Jedi Ben, Trip and AusStig like this.
  13. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Palpatine isn't Vader, but Palpatine's also taking credit for Kylo hearing his voice. Perhaps wait and see the full context, because...there is more context.

14. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013

Woah... I love how that place looks... I hope its not always too dark but with every lightning flash we saw giant statues and impressive locale. I wonder how ancient it is and how it ties to the history of the galaxy, Jedi, Sith, Ach-To and else. Definitely got Mortis vibes there!

also I think the leaks that talked about a giant floating cube are half right only... this thing looks to me like the Mortis Monolith, not a cube. During one lightning flash I can see the angled sides. Need to get a screenshot to proof it but definitely convinced me that it is some site/temple with a floating Tho Yor / Mortis Monolith on top!

15. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Okay, Palpatine is terrifying. I feel like ever since Disney took over, they've really gone out of their way to just make him so much more of a sinister presence. His appearances in Rebels were terrifying, the whole Contingency **** and now this creepiness? This dude needs to get ****ed because he's WEIRDING ME OUT, MAN I CAN'T TAKE IT.

Jedi Ben and ColeFardreamer like this.
  16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I agree that the lack of any development between Rey and Palpatine is a major issue here. The "your relative was evil so maybe there's evil in you" trope has been done to death, and Rey's shown even less inclination of going dark than Luke did at her age. There's no suspense or revelation there.

Rey's obsession with anonymity in the previous film was unique. The found the mirror scene to be very eerie. Rey (and the audience) expects some answer to her heritage, maybe a revelation that she's someone important, and just sees herself for eternity. Her past present and future are only what she sees in the mirror looking back at her.

Fighting Palpatine is too easy. Nobody's fooled Rey could become Palpatine. If Rey showed the tendency to be a diabolical creep sometimes, sure, maybe there would be a chance she could go dark. Then she'd have something in common with Palps. But right now there's nothing. Especially because Palpatine put all his persuasion eggs in another basket...case. (which does make me think this is ultimately more Kylo's story than Rey's in the end)

Jedi Ben likes this.
  17. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Imagine Ian McDiarmid in a Star Wars theater play live on stage... the music, light effects and atmosphere... lots of hidden speakers may make it sound as it his voice is close to you or could come from any direction.

18. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    and he still gets layed and makes Rey's father with a woman

19. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    It sure is Kylos story all along... Rey was just distraction, misleading JJ style. I told people that since TFA and nobody listened to me. Nobody believed the hero would be the villain. Or vice versa.

Like with everyone thinking Poe is part of the new Big Three... he is not, that is Kylo, Rey and Finn. Poe was slated to die in TFA and saved due to being too cool. Like Han in the OT.

20. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013

[​IMG]

So certain are you that was how it happened? There are many ways to.. get offspring... some considered to be unnatural!

HEDGESMFG and Gamiel like this.
  21. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    It's not Kylo's story and never will be. Poe is a member of the New Big Three, old drafts aren't canon. Kylo is hated by almost everyone on here and most fans in the real world. Even the poster you're responding to hates him (I think). Just a few pages ago, @Barriss_Coffee expressed her desire to have Kylo beaten to a pulp by 9's villain, and I literally had to explain why that makes no sense in-story and that such a scene would .

Vialco likes this.
  22. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    come on we both know how many woman threw themselves at sheev in legends :p but u might be on to something

ColeFardreamer and Gamiel like this.
  23. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    The Darth Plagueis novel did portray young Palpatine that way. I always felt that the Sith dealt with their hormones quickly and early on (also Githany in the New Sith Wars with Kiel Charny, Darth Malgus with Eleena Daru, the Krath, etc.) so that later on their hormones had no control over them because they already dealt with it to excess, and they moved on to more important things in life like the Dark Side (the only thing worth living for to a Sith as Darth Bane put it).

Because the Jedi keep suppressing their hormones with their stupid rules, they end up in a constant state of confusion and a mess of repressed desires. Note how quickly Anakin flips out when Padme falls off a ship on Geonosis. If that happened to a Sith's boyfriend/girlfriend, they would be like "I had tons of lovers already, not a big deal".

Darth Corydon likes this.
  24. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    Palpatine definitely spoke to Ben through the Vader helmet, and I'm still betting that Compass that Luke had. Palpatine influenced and turned Ben from afar using Snoke's voice, and that was the darkness Luke sensed in the hut that made him overreact. This is what I predicted, and now they've virtually confirmed it. I am very, very happy with this.

Also, Snoke is a puppet, be it a clone, apprentice, or even just a husk. Doesn't matter. This is what I have speculated ever since April when Palpatine's return was confirmed.

Vialco and ColeFardreamer like this.
  25. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013

Something bittersweet:

What if Snoke IS Plagueis... all that remained from him a shell, after Palpatine attempted to kill him he kept the body. Or Plagueis bodyhopped into Palpatine but kept his old body around as a tool.

Vialco likes this.