main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mandalorian 1.05-Chapter 5-Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Jedi Master Scorpio , Dec 4, 2019.

?

Grade the Episode

Poll closed Dec 13, 2019.
  1. 10

14.2%
  2. 9

23.0%
  3. 8

25.7%
  4. 7

13.5%
  5. 6

15.5%
  6. 5

4.7%
  7. 4

2.0%
  8. 3

1.4%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Justus_Cade

Justus_Cade Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 31, 2002
    Really enjoyed chapter 5, gave me a SWG vibe when you would wander into Mos Eisley and team up with some unknown person and go on a mission together.

The swoop bikes were pretty cool to see, Chalmun's Cantina has seen better days. I guess that is the result of Jabba being dead, there isn't much reason for anyone to go to Tatooine now.

So does Mando usually just leave his boarding ramp down?

Telling us what planets we are going to would be nice, I am fine as it is, but have been watching with others who get confused on where we are at. My dad says it feels like he is on the same planet most of the time.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Baby Yoda seems to have lowered the ramp. Hence the steam/ smoke coming out from the sides.

3. Justus_Cade

Justus_Cade Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 31, 2002
    Will have to watch again, I thought baby Yoda only opened the closet he was in.

4. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    When he walks down the ramp, I see steam/ smoke rising from its sides. Which gave me the impression that Baby Yoda had lowered it. But I could be wrong.

TheYodaPagoda likes this.
  5. Darth Droid

Darth Droid Jedi Master star 2

Jul 4, 2013
    I don't need anything to tie into the grand story, but I want the story I am watching to be interesting. For me at least, I don't have a reason to care at all about the Mandalorian as a character. If Baby Yoda wasn't so cute, I honestly think the show would have almost nothing going for it. I would be fine with "adventure of the week" if the adventures or characters were interesting. But really there's nothing to sink your teeth into. There's hardly stories at all. Mando goes to planet, fights some people, leaves. He doesn't really grow or learn anything, and we just don't know enough about him for me to be compelled by a character with no face just aimlessly wandering around.

It feels like you're watching a video game. In fact many Star Wars videogames with "mission" structure had more compelling characters and storylines than this show (*cough* Kyle Katarn *cough*).

Given the talent involved in this I'm utterly shocked by how bland the writing is. Filoni had never failed me before this show.

6. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    I'm pretty sure The Mandalorian leaves the ramp down, which boggled my mind. I'd think he did that so Peli Motto could do any servicing inside as well, but Baby Yoda did definitely open the hatch he was hidden in.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  7. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    And Probably about 6 more we don’t know about

8. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I like the larger story

Bor Mullet likes this.
  9. aewhistory

aewhistory Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 17, 2019
    After this week’s episode with the sand people.... errr, sorry.... Tuskens I started to think how Favreau and Filoni are making more species appear on different planets. So that made me rethink a moment in episode three: remember when Greef Karga refers to the bounty hunter that he “fires” as a ‘sand breather’? The hunter seemed to speak Huttese, which would be in line with someone from Tatooine. He is also dressed covering his head and had some sort of equipment for his face specifically. Could this be an Tusken that was living on Nevarro? (I think that was the planet name?)

The hunter wasn’t dressed exactly as previous Tuskens, but we’ve never seen them outside of their Dune Sea area, so it stands to figure they’d dress differently in different places. A bigger problem is that we never see Tuskens capable as verbalizing like most other aliens, so I want to think that this dude in a Tusken, but his ability to speak ‘normally’ might kill that theory. What do you folks think?

Ps- when you guys try to type Tusken does your autocorrect relentlessly try to ‘fix’ it and change it to Turkey? Or Tuskegee? I hate my autoINcorrect.

10. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Tuskens. Just checked and my “predictive” text on iPhone predicted Tuskens instead of anything else.

aewhistory likes this.
  11. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    [​IMG]

Plenty of things to be excited about coming up

TheYodaPagoda and aewhistory like this.
  12. aewhistory

Nov 17, 2019
    So my autocorrect really is a POS. Clearly Apple is out to annoy me personally.... thanks for corroborating my paranoia JKF. ;)

13. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I think it might be with how much you type words for instance if I type Coruscant it now automatically knows what I want to type

14. aewhistory

Nov 17, 2019
    Ah, yea, good point. That’s a somewhat more plausible explanation than a major, multi-national corporation expending resources just to annoy one of its minor customers..... and yet....

Seriously though, I’m sure that’s it. Thanks.

Dude, when is the release date!? You can’t tease us like this and then not let everyone know when we can see this cinematic masterpiece. This is the story we’ve all been waiting for since ANH!

I hope they follow this up with a Porkins trilogy.....

Sarge likes this.
  15. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Then it’s the most beautifully realistic, mythically resonant, humorous and heart-stirring video game I’ve ever seen!

In any event, I couldn’t disagree more.

16. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I just want good Star Wars...it can be big pictures stories like the movie or minor side stories...as long as it is GOOD.

17. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    Watching it again last night, I completely agree with what you said. If you were to pause the show at these two random times (15 min 50 sec and 30 min 20 sec), it shows exactly what you have said in the above about the rounds that are strapped just below his right knee; the same thing that I noticed last night too. The Mandalorian has the rounds and the person at the end doesn't.

Also to me, the armour pieces covering the legs look more Mandalorian - so unless Cad Bane has Mandalorian armour pieces on, sadly, I think you could probably rule him out too. For me then, its either Fett or Vanth - with a strong preference towards Fett for no other reason other than to watch him go up against another bounty hunter on-screen. Well maybe one more.... because he is a really cool and awesome character.

A fight between the two would be a heavyweight championship match; with each deploying their full range of gadgets and weapons to get the upper hand win. But because our Mandalorian is the star of this show, the audience and fans may have to come to the realisation that another iconic OT-character in Fett will die; unless they end up sparing each other under the agreement that they will avoid each other.

18. KSennia

KSennia Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    I'd like to see Baby Yoda help his dad fight Fett, and have him use the force to toss Boba around a bit, just enough to give Mando the upper hand to take him out. Or alternatively, Mando and Boba could be best buds and Boba could become the reluctant uncle. :D

19. aewhistory

Nov 17, 2019
    Wasn’t there a storyline in the EU where Fett and Han Solo became allies after years of Fett hunting Han? I ask this because I suspect that Favreau and Filoni are mining the EU for ideas and it would be easy to start with Fett as an adversary only to have them eventually come together. This would make for an interesting story AND keep the fans happy (especially us butthurt Fett fans who never have really gotten what we wanted..... or maybe that’s just me) without screwing with the overall thread of the show.

They do need to be careful about how Fett is used if/when he is brought in. As I’ve argued, I don’t want them to mess the character up any more than he has been already but this is Mando’s show. I like Mando’s character a lot and I don’t need want this show transformed into The Bobalorian.

20. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Right. Like the Mandalorian. :)

By the way, it seems to me that the Jawas on Arvada-7 may have gone “offworld” because Tatooine was no longer a hot-spot of black market activity, and other planets were seeing more action. I bet they’re gonna get some attention in the new EU.

21. Darthur C. Clarke

Darthur C. Clarke Jedi Master star 3

Jul 8, 2016
    In the old EU, Fett and Han kinda team up once. During the Yuuzhan-Vong war, Fett's band of remade Mandalorians attack the Vong on a a station where they were attacking the New Republic, and Han and co. were backed into a corner with little odds of survival. When Fett's group attacked, it allowed them to fight their way free as YV Warriors flocked to fight these 'worthy warriors' for honor. As they left they exchanged not quite pleasantries by radio, with Fett telling Han that there was no intended animosity, he was never anything but a bounty; and Han replying that Fett was likewise never anything but a nuisance.

Later, though, Jaina Solo would work side by side with him and learn non-standard ways to fight force users.

I don't think that what we'll see in the Mandalorian will be similar to this at all; but we'll see!

22. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I thought the same thing about Coruscant. Turns out coruscant is is a real word. It means: glittering; sparkling. That's how spell check knows it.

23. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    So I just watched Chapter 2 again and I don't hear any spurs when Mando is walking through the pass at the beginning. All I hear is the sound of him walking through mud.

TheYodaPagoda likes this.
  24. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I’m hearing spurs. Anyone else?

Maybe I have spursitis, and hear spurs where there are none.

That all said, I still think the dude at the end of chapter 5 being Boba is plausible. But if that’s the case, I bet it won’t pay off for at least another season.

Demon4x4, TheYodaPagoda and KSennia like this.
  25. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    If it's actually Fett, I'm out.

Not even kiddin'. Full militant 2019 annoying fanboy pouty mode engage. [face_laugh]