main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge 13th Annual (2019) Non-Denominational Winter Holiday fic-gift exchange! Fic-gifts due January 12

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Dec 1, 2019.

1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    It's that time of year again (well, it's actually a little bit later than normal, but it's been a wild few months, so forgive me), it's time for the...

13th Annual Non-Denominational Winter Holiday fic-gift exchange!

[​IMG]
    Sorry, I know this is X-mas based, but it was too good not to use!

We've got quite a few new people around this year, so let me give a little explanation. Long before I was a mod, I started a fic exchange loosely based on secret-Santa gift exchange, but I wanted it to be inclusive and about fanfic so the fic-gift was born. But because everyone has different tastes and I wanted people to get a story they'd like to read, I made it so that you tell me what story you'd love to read, someone else writes it and then posts it as a fic-gift for you. It is not a mod challenge so no colors, no rewards other than getting a story you'd love to read. See some previous years here: 2018 |2017 | 2016 | 2015

I'm a bit long winded in this opening post, but after 13 years of doing it, I know most of the questions that come up so I want you to have your answers. It's also gotten more complicated after Disney changed canon.

How to Participate

Send me, mavjade a PM with the following:

1. The era(s) for which you would like to write
    2. Three things you would like in your fic-gift
    3. One thing you don’t want in your fic-gift
    4. The main characters you want in your fic-gift (no more than three - there are exceptions, see FAQ)
    5. A character you don’t want in your fic-gift
    6. The era in which your fic-gift should take place

Example PM:

I will write in Saga (Prefer OT and ST) or Beyond (Canon or Legends)

I would like a story in Saga (OT or ST) or Beyond Legends with:
    1. The phrase “I know you are, but what am I?”
    2. A verbal fight that ends in a hug
    3. Han and Leia slow dancing on the Falcon

I don’t want Luke in the story
    I don’t want: anyone dying

Characters: Han, Leia, R2​

ERAs

Due to the ever changing universe of Star Wars, it gets harder and harder to make sure people get to write the stories in the era in which they prefer.

In order to do this I need everyone to be as specific as possible, but also flexible. So…

• If your request is in SAGA please indicate if it should be in PT, OT, or ST as defined by the era classifications for stories (in the spoiler tag below). If your story could be in multiple parts of the Saga and you want to allow the author to choose which part of the Saga the story takes place in, please put those eras in your request as shown in the example above.

Saga Eras:
    PT- Stories that take place from The Phantom Menace up to A New Hope
    OT -Stories that take place from A New Hope up to The Force Awakens
    ST- Stories that take place from The Force Awakens through The Rise of Skywalker

** If you are writing in Saga, please feel free to tell me which parts of Saga you would prefer to write (PT, OT, ST) and I’ll do my best to stick with that, but please know it may not be possible.​

• If you want your story or want to write in the old Expanded Universe or the video games -now known as Legends- you need to include “Legends” in your request. So your request for the story or to write should say Before Legends, Saga Legends, or Beyond Legends, otherwise the Nu-canon continuity will be assumed.

• You may include SW TV, books, comics, etc. in your requests, but please know that not everyone may have watched/read all of the media. If you'd like to include what TV shows you'd be willing to write for in specific, that is very helpful to me!

Note: It is very difficult to trade fic-gift requests once they have all been sent out, so please think carefully about what era’s you agree to write in. If there is a character(s) you refuse to write, let me know, but please do so sparingly.

So I’ve send my request, now what happens??

After the deadline for requests passes, I will send you someone’s request and you will write the fic-gift for them. Another writer will be sent your request and they will write your fic-gift for you. Your request will not necessarily be given to the person for whom you are writing, but it has been known to happen.

In order to keep who is writing the fic-gifts a secret, I ask that if you have a question about the request, you send the question to me and I’ll as the person and get back to you as soon as possible. That way, everything stays a surprise.

Once you’ve finished writing, you post the fic-gift in the story boards for the person, and everyone else to read.

Deadlines/Posting:

Fic-Gift Requests: Must be PMed by 11:00 am PST, Saturday December 14th 2019

Final Deadline for your fic-gift to be posted: 11:59 pm PST, Sunday, January 12th, 2020

Other Rules/Needed Info

• Please put in the title bar “Fic-Gift for___” and then put a link and for whom the fic-gift is here in this thread. It is also fine to tag the person (@User_Name_Here) in the thread.

• Please post the story in it’s own thread. This is so that the person can easily find the story written for them and can find it easily again in the future. It also makes it more like a gift for them and not just a story you wrote. You may link to it in a short-story thread if you have one, the prolific writers thread, or post it anywhere else you post fanfics.

> Please remember, this isn't the Dare Challenge! You don't want to make your request so complicated that it's hard for someone to write. If I think your request might be overly complicated and therefor hard for me to make sure it gets written, I may PM you and ask you to simplify.

> There is no minimum word count, but please keep in mind this is a gift for someone, a story they really want to see! So while you may be able to get the elements into a mini-story, maybe try to add a bit more. I know people are often excited to post, but you've got time. Don’t worry, it doesn’t have to be an epic either!

> If you have not posted your fic-gift approximately two weeks before it is due, you will receive a PM from me just checking in, and as a reminder.

!!> I can always use pinch-writers to write a fic-gift that someone can’t fulfill. So if you would like to do this, please let me know! It’s a huge help!

Non-Star Wars FanFic

We've done a NSWFF exchange the past two years and it seems to work well, so we'll be doing it again this year!

If you would like to do a NSWFF fic-gift, post in this thread what fandoms you are willing to participate in. If there is someone else that wants to do the same fandom, that person should reply to you and then you can use the fic-gift request template to exchange fic-gift requests.

You can then post a link to your NSWFF Fic-Gift here in this thread like you would the SW Fic-Gift.

I can’t guarantee that everyone who wants a NSWFF fic-gift will get one because I can’t know which fandoms people will be willing to do. Only SW fic-gifts will absolutely get a fic-gift.

Example:

Luke Skywalker states he’d be willing to write a fic-gift in Star Trek, Babylon 5, or Duck Tales.

Han Solo quotes or tags Luke and says he’d be willing to do a Duck Tales exchange.

The two of them then trade requests via PM.

They then follow the instructions for posting/deadlines for the main exchange.

[​IMG]

FAQ
    Can I include more than three things I want/three characters I want in my request? Less than three? Do I have to include a character I don’t want?

You may include more that three wants/characters in your request, but the author is only required to use three of them. If you put more than three, the author is allowed to pick which three (or more) that they want to use. If they want to use them all, they can, but they don’t have to.

You may pick less that three wants/characters, it just means the author has more control over what happens.

Really the only REQUIRED elements are what era(s) the story should take place in and what era(s) you want to write. If there isn’t a character you want to exclude, it’s perfectly fine to leave that out.

Does my request have to be holiday related?
    Nope! This is whatever you want, it doesn’t have to have anything to do with a holiday unless you want it to.

Can I request a fic-gift with my Original Character?
    No, sorry. I've allowed this in the past, but it requires a lot of work on the part of the author, especially if they don't follow your story. It also can create hurt feelings when someone doesn't write your character correctly. The only exception to this is in NSWFF because you can have a discussion with the person writing your story, so you may ask if they are willing if you know they follow your stories. If they would rather not, please respect that decision.

Can I request characters from the Non-Star Wars Fandoms?
    For the main Star Wars exchange, please don’t request a character or story line from a fandom outside of Star Wars. There are so many fandoms out there and it’s hard to know what who know which fandom and it wouldn’t be fair to make someone do that much research.

Can I do both the Star Wars and NSWFF exchange?
    Yes, you may do both exchanges, and more than one exchange in NSWFF, but please do not volunteer to do more than you can reasonably deliver by the deadline.

You may only do one SW fic-gift, unless you want to ‘pinch-hit’ and write a second if someone can’t finish their story.

I missed the deadline to submit my request, can I still participate?
    Sorry, not in the SW fic-gift exchange. I’ve tried to do this in the past and it just made things way too complicated. If you would like to do a NSWFF exchange, you could do so.

Can I write a multi-chapter fic?
    Sure! But please make sure to include the elements requested before the deadline.

Whew! That's a lot of info! If you have any questions, please feel free to ask here in the thread because others may want to know as well. But if you'd rather PM me, that's fine, just make sure to say "question" in your title because if it just says something about the fic-gift exchange, I might not open it for a few days as I only open the request PMs when I know I have time.

I hope you have a happy holiday no matter what you celebrate and I appreciate each and everyone one of you!
    ~Mav

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  2. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Master Story List

Star Wars

Surprise, It's You!
    | Beyond-Legends - L/M | by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha for Jedi_Lover
    Brothers In Arms | Saga-ST - Finn, Poe | by Jedi_Lover for brodiew
    Snowballing | Saga-PT - Anakin, Ahsoka, Obi-wan | by devilinthedetails for Mira_Jade
    Something Unexpected | Beyond-Legends - Han/Leia | by Raissa Baiard for WarmNyota_SweetAyesha
    Happy Life Day! | Saga-OT - Kanan/Hera, Erza | by Nehru_Amidala for Raissa Baiard
    Even Ground | Beyond-Legends | Ben Skywalker/Vestra, Luke | by brodiew for devilinthedetails
    Still, You Give | Saga-OT -Zeb Orrelios, Alexsandr Kallus, Rhiannon Hektor (OC)| by Mira_Jade for Nehru_Amidala

Non-Star Wars

Great Time Had By All | Star Trek - Ensemble | by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha for Mira_Jade
    Hearts Entwined | Tolkien - Galadriel/Celeborn \ Melian/Thranduil | by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha for Mira_Jade
    The Worlds Your Hands Touch | Star Trek: AOS| by Mira_Jade for WarmNyota_SweetAyesha
    The Confidant | The West Wing | by Briannakin for mavjade

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  3. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Love this idea. Really will brighten up the winter season to have gift fics around here!:D

I'll send a PM about the Star Wars fic later.

For non-Star Wars, I do write in the Harry Potter and Tamora Pierce fandoms, so if anyone is interested in doing a gift exchange involving either of those fandoms, I'd love to swap stories with you:cool:

4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    I've already sent in an SW PM. [face_dancing]

Mira_Jade , mavjade , brodiew and 2 others like this.
  5. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    My request is in and I already wonder if I provided enough detail to it. Story me now! [face_nail_biting] [face_whistling] [face_hypnotized]

6. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    You don't really have to worry about providing enough detail, it just means the writer has more ability to do what they want to write. If that's fine with you, it's perfectly fine. But If you want to add or change your request, you can do so before the deadline. (Also when I open it, I can take a look and then PM you back with what I think, if you'd like.)

7. TheRynJedi

TheRynJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 20, 2018
    Hmm. Want to participate, last year's was fun. Now I have to decide what to request...

8. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Ah, gift exchange season has begun again! :D This is always such a fun challenge... though I have to think for a bit about whether I'll be able to take part, because the busyness is starting to ramp up again. I'll let you know. :)

9. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Yay! It's that most wonderful time of year again. I need to put on my thinking cap for a request, but I'm really looking forward to participating. This is such a special traditions that I love we still carry on, and it's always exciting to see what people both request and come up with in return. [face_love] [face_dancing]

Then, as always, I would love to write a gift or two on the NSWFF side of things! (Though I honest to goodness have to keep it to vignettes this year for my own sanity - I may have started one too many WIPs last time around. :oops: [face_blush] :p) When not dabbling in SW, I adore everything in Tolkien's world, Star Trek, and Stranger Things. I've also written for Hamilton, Voltron, A:tlA, Doctor Who, and the MCU, amongst several other fandoms. So, erm, I'm versatile if there's something in particular you have in mind. :D [face_mischief]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Happy wriggles, I also do Tolkien and Star Trek. [face_dancing]
    And I am willing to pinch-write. :D

11. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    Sent my request; I hope someone can have some fun with it!

12. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Despite the fact that I think my SW muse might be peaking out again, I'm not going to submit a SW request - I'm traveling over the holidays and I don't think I'll have my laptop so I'll be limited in what I can accomplish. Mav and I are doing our (now traditional) West Wing exchange. I thought about putting out another NSWFF request (I do want to foray into some Harry Potter fic-writing) but I just won't have the time over the holidays (and my muse is being fickle as it is). But I am up for pinch-writing if I'm needed afterwards.

Anyways. Which brings me to my dilemma. I was pretty sure of the request I wanted to send Mav and had my heart set on it but I was brainstorming some other ideas juuuust incase my request didn't tickle her muse... and now I love one of my back-up requests and I really want to see it written. Now I just don't know what to send her. I can't make a decision!

13. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    As I posted in my away thread, I'm going to be gone for the next week. I purposely set the deadline for Saturday knowing I'd be gone until then. Continue to send your requests to me, just know you'll get that weird auto-response after I've been gone for a few days.

If you have any questions, Bri and Mira have known how I run this long enough to probably answer you with a pretty high degree of certainty.

I hope to have the requests out to everyone on Saturday!

14. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Aw geez, I’m late! Can I still submit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Yes, it says right in the title that requests are due Dec. 14. Mav is away until then so you are going to get an auto reply.

Nehru_Amidala likes this.
  16. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Requests for Star Wars are now closed. I'll post again once I've sent PMs to everyone with the story they are to write.

Non-Star Wars requests can still be done at any time in the process so long as you feel like you can get them done by the deadline.

17. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    Yay! Excited to see what kind of request I’ll get! :D

18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
  19. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Same here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
  21. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    I would love to do a in NSWFF fic-gift exchange. I am happy to write in Star Trek 2009 Stranger Things, The Rookie, and Star Trek Discovery.

I would also be willing to request a fic in the same fandoms. Shoot me a PM to discuss.

Brodie

Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  22. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    I want to do a NSWFF as well. Willing to write a NSWFF too.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    Kahara and WarmNyota_SweetAyesha like this.
  23. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    My greatest apologies, I was working on the requests yesterday when I got a massive migraine and I couldn't look at a screen any longer. Also despite having the fewest people participating in the SW exchange at 7, I can't help the feeling that I've done something really stupid like sent someone their own request or sent someone a request that they said they didn't want. [face_worried]

However, all of the requests have been sent out. Please let me know if you didn't receive one if you submitted one.

24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  25. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004