main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters ♡ The OTP & Pairing Thread ♡ | Challenge #33 is up: How They Met! (1/28, p. 90, #2231)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Captain Rakkaus, Oct 5, 2015.

1. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @brodiew If you write Siriwan again, I'll definitely read it. Siri is by far my favorite romantic partner for Obi-Wan. Maybe because she was the first person I had ever seen him paired with or just because I really love her personality and how it contrasts but also complements Obi-Wan's in such interesting, dynamic ways.

Thank you for the offer to help me with future Han/Leia ideas and scenarios. I really do love the community aspect around here where everyone is always so supportive and willing to offer suggestions. It really inspires my best work. That's a great tip about making Han and Leia find something small to argue over and then letting the argument fizzle into a moment of intimacy. That really fits my mental image of Han and Leia's relationship.

I think it was what was done with Ben/Vestara in the EU Fate of the Jedi series, which is why they are really the only Jedi/Sith pairing that works for me, and maybe that is why I'm afraid I'll somehow mess up their dynamic that I love if I write about them. Ben and Jysella Horn could make an interesting pairing, and I could see them bonding over shared traumas in many ways. I'd definitely read Ben/Jysella Horn stuff from you if you end up writing any since really anything about Ben will make me sold.

2. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    My two cents on attempting Ben/Vestara is tapping into Vestara's struggle to fight her Sith nature. How to her feelings for Ben conflict her Sith training and what she would she have to do to compensate for rigidity of that training.

Conversely, as in the books, Ben would need to overcome his innate distrust of the Sith and his vision of them as inherently evil. I think this could make for some fun, as @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes to say, misunderstandings that do not have to have galaxy shattering consequences. My two cents.

3. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    @brodiew Oh, yes, I like those ideas. Vestara's struggle against her Sith nature was a big part of why she was so fascinating to me in the Fate of the Jedi books, and Ben needing to overcome his innate distrust of the Sith makes that and their relationship all the more compelling. I really do need to write at least one story about them as a couple one day. There really is a story there. I just have to write it.

Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  4. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    3. Make Poldo canon! Though TBH, if they did, it would probably end up being FUBAR.

gizkaspice and Kahara like this.
  5. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    3. Which SW pairing do you wish had gotten more 'air time'? E.g., would you like to see even more fanfictions about?
    Rare pairings, hmmm.....Let's see...

1) Huxma :p not romantic though, but more like BrOTP. Plus, there are some hints in the expanded material if you look for it, but...uh...don't do it.
    2) Poldo
    3) Poe + BB-8--Wait...pretty sure that's canon already :p

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    Kahara and Nehru_Amidala like this.
  6. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    1. Who are your top 2-3 pairings and why?
    Of course I am going to say Mara & Luke. I also like Corran and Mirax.

2. What about them is easiest/hardest to write, as individual characters and also as a couple?
    I think the hardest thing to write would be them having a bad conflict because I don't want those two couples to have conflicts. Maybe they can have spat that result in a lot of makeup sex...but no divorce level conflicts. The easiest thing to write is the snark and teasing between the two.

3. Which SW pairing do you wish had gotten more 'air time'? E.g., would you like to see even more fanfictions about?
    Hey, that could be a future OTP challenge as well. Rare pairings

This is not a pairing but I would have liked to see Talon Karrde with a love interest. He is by far my favorite Star Wars character after Mara and Luke. I don't know why. I think it may be his personality reminds me of somebody I would get along with and like to work with. Unfortunately, having characters with spouses and kids complicates things. Writers usually don't give their characters such 'baggage' unless it fits into a particular story arc. So poor Talon, Aves, Chin are single men for the entire EU.

Another person who I think should have found love is Jax Pavan. In the Coruscant Nights novels he did find love...off screen and when the new book came out we discover he is in a relationship...and she dies in chapter one. What the...?? Didn't the TV show Bones do that? Either that or I missed a season. You have them as friends and then next season she is suddenly pregnant and the audience learned that those two consummated their relationship between seasons. Sorry, back to Star Wars. Anyway, I wish Jax Pavan found a love that didn't die almost immediately.

I hear a lot of people say Poe/Finn should get together. You know, to be honest those two guys have chemistry together and I can see a bromance forming. It doesn't have to be romantic...just a bromance. TLJ really dropped the ball on that. I think the writers may have wanted Rey and Finn together, but decided their chemistry wasn't good. So then they have to give Finn another romantic partner in Rose. Ack. None of them have any chemistry. I cringed when I heard, "You got a boyfriend? You got a cute boyfriend?" Ack! This is supposed to be a soldier. They wouldn't use the word 'cute' unless it was said sarcastically. I'm sure it all makes sense if you read the books. Unfortunately, I don't like having to do reading homework so I can understand a movie.

Another character I like is Eli Vanto from the Thrawn novels. I don't know if he gets a romantic partner in the cartoons, but there is a little Chiss navigator female that has her eye on him in the books. I hope future novels touch on a possible romance.

7. Captain Rakkaus

Captain Rakkaus Jedi Master star 2

Oct 4, 2015
    Now onto something a little different for our next challenge:

OTP Thread Challenge #13: City Mouse, Country Mouse

Many of you probably know the eponymous fable, about the two mouse friends from completely different backgrounds and environments, and the challenges and changes they face while visiting each other's homes. As many of you probably know, couples very often have to do the same kind of adjusting in the course of getting to know each other, too.

With that in mind, write a story where the two members of your couple visit each other's home turf, family, typical hangout, environment, etc., and face challenges and adjustments. Said challenges and adjustments can, of course, lead to increased understanding and the strengthening of bonds—or not. This can be the familiar "meet the folks" scenario, but it can equally well extend to any situation where the members of the couples come to an environment known to the other member but not to themselves. (And yes, it has to be both members of the couple visiting each other's environments, not just one of them visiting the other one's environment. That's part of the challenge. :D )

Please note that this challenge is going to run for eight (8) weeks instead of the ten (10) used in previous challenges in this thread (just for experiment's sake for now, but it may become our regular timeframe if it works out well). The deadline for entries will be January 22, 2019. A two-week voting period will follow.

Enjoy, and happy writing to all! :)

Challenge Index:
    Widened Circles by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha (featuring Luke Skywalker and Mara Jade)
    Indoor/Outdoor Cat by gizkaspice (featuring General Hux and Captain Phasma)
    Two Worlds Colliding and Conjoining by devilinthedetails (featuring Ben Skywalker and Vestara Khai)
    "We Claim Our Own Landscape" by Mira_Jade (featuring Han Solo and Leia Organa)
    From Slavery to Aristocracy by Anedon and Adalia-Durron (featuring OCs Adrian Malek and Marie Firestone)
    Meet the Aliit by Raissa Baiard (featuring Kazuda “Kaz” Xiono and OC Wren Ordo)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    Kahara, mavjade , gizkaspice and 9 others like this.
  8. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    This looks tempting. And whoever had the idea, whether it's you or somebody else, LUVVIT.

9. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    @Ewok Poet is back! You vanished so suddenly.:D

10. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    In order not to go OT, I talked about it in social. :)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  11. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    This IS a very tempting challenge! What a cool idea! Think I'm gonna actually submit something for the first time; it's probably going to be horrible though (or not, I dunno) :p

Kahara, Ewok Poet and Mira_Jade like this.
  12. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    I know how I am going to do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kahara, Ewok Poet and Mira_Jade like this.
  13. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Had yesterday an idea for this while at work. Might get it written somewhen this month.

14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  15. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    I have an idea for this, however I have so much going on with the roleplaying, that I am not sure if I will get around to addressing this.

16. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
  17. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    I am having computer issues.

The lights are on, but if the monitor is any guide, nobody is home.

18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    ACK! ACK! :(

19. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    The first chapter of a Ben/Vestara story set in Legends continuity after Fate of the Jedi: Apocalypse. I do intend to have the remaining chapters up by the deadline. If I fail, I will disqualify myself but at least be happy that I produced anything for Ben/Vestara, which I've never tried to write before so baby steps to success.

Two Worlds Colliding and Conjoining

I hope some people besides myself have a soft spot for Ben/Vestara:)

Edit: I did manage to finish the story before the deadline. Yay[face_dancing]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  20. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Can this be a joint story, almost like an RPG where two characters from different worlds meet and it gets complicated when the see how different they are yet are still attracted? By two authors?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
  21. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    I am all too happy to have started a story for the challenge! Mine is also chaptered, with four parts in total if all goes right, and I have high hopes for finishing by the deadline. :D

"We Claim Our Own Landscape" is part of my Song!verse, and features Han/Leia. [face_love]

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
  22. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Answering as myself since on mobile. Yes, a collaboration of that sort would be perfectly fine. :)

23. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    See that @Anedon !!! We're good!! Let's get started!

24. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
    Kahara, Mira_Jade , divapilot and 3 others like this.
  25. Captain Rakkaus

Captain Rakkaus Jedi Master star 2

Oct 4, 2015
    Thanks, everyone! I've updated the index—wow, five entries already, just like that! This is swell! :D