main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Rise of Skywalker Discussion Thread **UNTAGGED SPOILERS WITHIN**

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Dec 16, 2019.

1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    If you want to remain unspoiled from The Rise of Skywalker turn back now!

[​IMG]
    December 16th is the world premier of The Rise of Skywalker, so soon there will be people who have seen the movie. ​

Normally discussion not specifically related to fanfic belongs in the social thread, but since people will be seeing The Rise of Skywalker at different times and we don't want the social thread to be a mass of spoiler tags we've made this thread to discuss the movie while the spoiler period is in effect.

The spoiler period (as in, the time that discussion of something is considered a spoiler) for movies is 2 weeks, so this thread will remain open until at least January 3rd, 2020, though it will probably remain open a little longer.

This thread is only for discussion of The Rise of Skywaker, any other social discussion should remain in the social thread. This is the only place in fanfic you should discuss TRoS until the spoiler period is over. (You may talk about when you are seeing the movie and how many times you've seen it in the normal social thread.) If you want to post a fanfic that has spoilers, please see the FanFic Spoiler Policy for rules on how to post a spoiler story.

You do NOT need to use spoiler tags in this thread.

Please remember that everyone is here because they are a Star Wars fan, but opinions on this movie will vary, so be respectful.

Have fun!

2. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Eight more hours to go. Please, don't tell me that I'm the first again, like I was the last three times around (for all films but TFA). [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
  3. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I am confused by the reviews. I guess if you liked TLJ you will hate TROS. I'm not sure what to expect.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I changed my mind, since I saw that yes, indeed, there are 2D projections starting tomorrow. And that's better for my strabismus, my head won't hurt. Tomorrow is st. Nicholas (sveti Nikola) and we'll be with our extended family that celebrates it, but I'm going in about 46 hours.

I like 'em all. Not good at hating things, this one is. But yeah, gonna yeet from this thread for the next two days. ;)

5. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    I did not like TLJ, but TROS was much more to my likings. Still too much "copy from other movies" thing but in this one I tolerate some "copyism" from other SW films. After all it is "The End" of the saga.

6. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    That is good to hear. I'm not planning on going opening week. I am working a lot during the holidays. I may just wait until it comes to Disney+. I purchased the plan and then realized the only thing I wanted to see was The Mandalorian. It's not that it doesn't have great movies...its just that I have seen them all. I am looking forward the the Obi-Wan Kenobi live action series. Ewan McGregor still is a very handsome man...and Tatooine is so very hot. I can imagine a shirtless scene somewhere along the way. :p

7. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    Lurking in this thread mostly to find out if/how the title makes any sense....

8. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    They were stuck with the title because they announced it during Celebration. Meanwhile the movie supposedly had a bunch of reshoots and alternate endings until the title probably didn't really apply to the story anymore. But what were they going to do? There was nothing they could do but try to put something in that made it...maybe, sorta, make sense.

Jedi Knight Fett and Tarsier like this.
  9. Tarsier

Jul 31, 2005
    Interesting.... you mean the most recent Celebration, right? I mean, Rise of Skywalker sounds to me like a prequel title, not an end of series title, especially not when I assume the last Skywalker will die in it without children.... But I've only barely been paying attention to the Disney canon, maybe I missed something....

10. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Yeah, the title was announced April 2019 during the Chicago SW Celebration.

Jedi Knight Fett and Tarsier like this.
  11. CaraJinn

Jan 8, 2018
    The title actually makes sense, in a weird way.

JediMaster_Jen and Lady_Misty like this.
  12. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Having seen the film today. the title does make sense if you take the ending into account.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  13. Tarsier

Jul 31, 2005
  14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    (Checks twice to make sure untagged spoilers are OK). Here goes - at the end Rey takes certain items back to Tatooine to the Skywalker home. An old woman says something like 'No one has been there for ages. Who are you?' Rey says she is Rey Skywalker.

Tarsier likes this.
  15. CaraJinn

Jan 8, 2018
    *checks twice too* And it get a certain double meaning as Ben Solo returns to the light side by the end of the movie, so in a way he's a Phoenix which rises and becomes a real Skywalker. For Rey it's more symbolic, she's a Skywalker at heart if not of blood.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  16. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    If what I've heard about this film is true, then... yikes.

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  17. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I'm going on the 27th of December. I am working every day (except Christmas eve) from tomorrow until then.

18. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Finally saw it. Not sure what I think. I liked it, but I didn't love it.

19. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Just dumping some of my thoughts so I can relax and sleep.

I didn’t expect them to kill Ben Solo at the end. I thought that they’d keep him around and maybe that he’d get a second chance at life; free of interference from Snoke and Palpatine and instead he dies bringing Rey back and fades away oddly compared to others that have vanished into the Force.

I was so stunned that I barely reacted for the rest of the movie.

And yes, I know that Rey established that the Force Healing thingy was done at the expense of your own life force so a life for a life.

I feel better now and will probably be able to get some sleep tonight.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Kahara and Mistress_Renata like this.
  20. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Did it have anybody suckling green milk from a seacow? If not, I will consider it a win.

21. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Ugh..I don't like what I'm reading..... A lot of "What.", "Noooo.", and "Do not want!"

Okay then, back to fanfiction to fix this mess.

22. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Saw it tonight. Reaction is...a mixed bag, I guess. There were things I loved about it, things I didn't.

*Loved the cameo by Denis Lawson. :) Was fantastic to see Wedge Antilles in an x-wing again.
    *Loved Lando!!
    *Continue to love the friendship between Poe and Finn.
    *Actually loved the pacing of the film and the multiple stories going on. Some critics and fans had said it was hard to follow. I didn't find that at all.
    *Loved that Leia was training Rey. That seemed fitting.
    *Luke seemed much more Luke than he did in TLJ.

*Didn't love that Ben died in the end. Was disappointed that he wasn't given a chance to live his redemption.
    *Not a fan of Hux being the mole. Didn't really make sense to me and in the grand scheme didn't serve a purpose.
    *Disappointed that a film titled The Rise of Skywalker, and that the "Skywalker Saga" as a whole ended up mostly being a film about two Palpatine's. But, as said above, the end when Rey decides to become Rey Skywalker at least makes the title make sense, which it didn't up until that point.
    *Force Ghost Luke being able to handle objects and use the Force to lift his x-wing was a bit odd. Guess being dead for him isn't much different than being alive.
    *Related to an above point; didn't like how little Luke was actually in it. Not enough "Skywalker" in this film.

Not really sure that if you hated TLJ that you'll love this one, or vice versa as critics and fans have said in other reviews. Two totally different directors with two totally different visions for the story. I think it's like trying to compare apples and oranges. You just can't. With that being said, it feels like the entire ST is really three separate stories rather than a cohesive trilogy telling the same story.

23. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Okay, so it is stupid early here and I just got back from it: I LOVED IT!!1!! (And I was one of those kinda "meh" on TLJ)

There's a few things I was unsure about like the kiss at the end (as my sister's boyfriend said, SHE SUCKED THE LIFE OUTTA HIM! Half the audience burst out laughing at that moment so maybe that ruined it). And I think I would have preferred it if Ben had lived. We already had Leia's sacrifice so I felt like Ben's death was unneeded. I liked that he was redeemed.

Obviously Leia's dialogue and general arc were pretty limited and there was a couple dialogue exchanges that seemed... forced, buuutttt given the circumstances were very well handled. I loved her final act, but I'd be interested in reading what the original screenplay was if Fisher had not died. Actually seeing Leia train Rey would have been sooo cool.

Luke was handled SOOOO MUCH BETTER!!! THANK YOU JJ ABRAMS.

I loved seeing Harrison Ford return! I did not see that and I'm so glad he did.

I loved Hux as the petty mole. Sooo Hux.

I think I liked Rey as a Palpatine. I would have liked to have gotten more of her parents' backstory but I think that was the point... they wanted no backstory (though I predict fanfic!!). Her as Palp's granddaughter made her character make more sense in terms of the wider Skywalker Saga. I would have liked more hints in TFA and TLJ that Palps was the mastermind behind everything but I think making him the baddie made sense given the arc from eps 1-9. I think the title made sense: the entire saga is about choices and family and parental figures whether they be adopted or biological. Rey chose her family as Skywalker.

As others have mentioned, I MUCH preferred the pacing of this than TLJ or TFA. I don't feel as if the ST in general felt like a cohesive story that fit within a wider saga. BUT TROS fit much better into the saga than the other two (... though still not perfectly.

Finally, the best part. Finn/Poe. They act like a old married couple and I will go down with this 'ship (and I hope fanfic inspiration will hit me)! Even if you don't agree, their friendship is great!

Anyways, I seriously have to go to bed.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    Kahara, Lady_Misty and JediMaster_Jen like this.
  24. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I thought the misdirection with Chewie and the ship blowing up was pretty good. The showing I was in took a collective breath at that point.

Kahara, Lady_Misty and Sinrebirth like this.
  25. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Things I didn't like (now I've had a chance to sleep on it):
    • Palpatine lives. Because clones or something. o_O Really? Vader's sacrifice was for nothing, then? It's sloppy and harks back to the worst of the old EU. The bad guy must be Palpatine because Snoke is dead and we can't come up with anything better. :rolleyes:
    • Every one of the Sith Stardestroyers has a giant, planet-killing weapon because we can't come up with anything new.
    • Rey as a Palpatine. The only reason she has the powers is because she's related to Someone? I liked her better when she was a Nobody; the idea that heroes can come from anywhere, not just big family dynasties.
    • Poe as a spice-runner? New canon has him defecting from Republic starfighter command to join the Resistance; they're not even honoring their own storyline?
    • There's a PLANET of Sith? What happened to the Rule of 2?
    • Rey takes Luke's X-wing to the battle. It was missing a wing which was used to make the door of Luke's shelter, but magically has been repaired. 30 years of exposure to seawater hasn't corroded any of the fittings or electronics (convenient). Doesn't need to be refueled even though it was a long jump to Ach-To , and batteries/weapons don't need to be recharged or replaced. J.J., these things don't run on MAGIC, you know!
    • Everyone in the galaxy shows up with an hour or two of Lando's call in the Core systems, even though they didn't show up after Crait. No mention of having to assemble weapons, get ships ready, armed, fueled, etc. They are with Lando within minutes, leaving homes, families, jobs behind just like that, ready for combat and willing to die.
    • Everyone "rises up" against the First Order after the victory at Exegol, again, summoning armies and weapons out of nowhere. We don't actually SEE this, we just see the Star Destroyers blowing up. And the Ewoks are technologically advanced enough to take out a Star Destroyer with a ground-based weapon?
    Things I liked:
    • Wedge! (wish we'd seen more than 3 seconds, but it was enough)
    • Poe's relationship with Zori. I get the feeling she's The One that Got Away.
    • Finn's self-confidence
    • Finn & Poe are not only still friends, they're close enough to argue with each other
    • Chewie finally gets his medal.
    • Wicket!
    • And Maz Kanata.
    • Jannah and the planet of Stormtrooper defectors. It's like Finn has a new family. I liked the Spacehorses, too.
    • Leia was well done. Some parts were a bit stilted, but overall, a good job figuring out how to make her footage work. Leia's death was like losing Carrie all over again.
    • C-3PO losing his memory. He's had his memory wiped before; it was interesting to see him in a state of innocence again.
    • Kannan & Ahsoka were among the Jedi voices speaking to Rey
    • The message that strength comes from unity, friendship and people working together are more powerful than people acting alone.
    Things I'm not sure about:
    • Ben's redemption. He sort of had to die, really, because even though he'd come back to the Light, no one else would ever see him as anything but Kylo Ren. He'd probably be put on trial for his role in the destruction of Hosni Prime, and that would be a VERY sad ending to the Skywalker saga.
    • Lightspeed skipping. Cool in theory but again, invalidates the whole thing about having to make the calculations so you don't jump into anything solid. Too "ain't it cool" to make sense or suspend disbelief for.
    • I didn't have a problem with Hux as the mole, actually. He wasn't trying to help the Resistance, he wanted to oppose Kylo Ren. Presumably, when Ren was killed or kicked out, Hux would have made a play for the post of Supreme Leader. It did smack of Agent Kallus's turning, although in that case, the groundwork had been laid showing the reason for the change of heart. This was Hux being a sore loser, which seems in character.

Final Verdict: Abrams might have seen the original movies, but it doesn't seem like he paid attention to them or to any of the other new canon material. A little too fanboy, not enough logic. Overall, I liked it but I didn't love it.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019