main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indiana Jones and the Temple Of Doom Fans

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Doom Trooper, Jan 22, 2018.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Just a note for UK folks - BBC1 will be running through the Indy films over the holiday season:
    Friday 27 Dec - Raiders - 1:25-3:15 PM
    Saturday 28 Dec - Temple of Doom - 1:10-3:00 PM
    Sunday 29 Dec - Last Crusade - 1:50-3:50 PM
    Monday 30 Dec - Crystal Skull - 1:25-3:20 PM

AndyLGR and christophero30 like this.
  2. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    I don't think that explanation works, though.

Indy's main "skeptic" moment in Raiders comes when he's telling Marcus that "I don't believe in magic, a superstitious lot of hocus pocus." There's no question of going public, it's a private conversation, in his own home, with one of his oldest friends. (Who was the one to bring up the topic in the first place). They also have no qualms about bringing up the topic of supernatural force to the Army Intelligence people (Marcus again: "the Ark is a source of unspeakable power, and it has to be researched!")

I can more than understand that Indy wouldn't want to blab about supernatural experiences to the University or the general public because he doesn't want to be institutionalized, but that's never the context in Raiders. His statements of skepticism seem to be entirely sincere.

christophero30 likes this.
  3. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    he's a scientist and he's stubborn. Probably chalked up TOD to mass hysteria.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. EmuBay

EmuBay Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 4, 2017
    I often wonder if the Little Maharajah eventually started insisted on wearing business suits given how people mistake him for a princess. The fact that the actor is dubbed by Katie Leigh doesn't help.

5. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    I never knew that.

6. EmuBay

Jan 4, 2017
    Yeah the way he's dressed in TOD - the kind of attire that many viewers in the USA associate with femininity - and the fact that Katie Leigh sounds way too much like a little girl when she dubs him, means that i feel really sorry for Raj Singh. @christophero30

7. EmuBay

Jan 4, 2017
    Indiana Jones investigates gender-transforming Indian royalty would actually have made a very interesting plot twist. Thanks Lucas ;)

8. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Just settling down with a coffee and a mince pie to watch Raiders on BBC1 right now.

9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Caught about the last 30 minutes of Temple of Doom this afternoon.

BigAl6ft6 and christophero30 like this.
  10. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Watched it too. Over 30 years later and these films hold up so well. The original 3 are absolute classics IMO.

11. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    TOD is the ultimate thrill ride.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  12. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Thread renamed at user request.

13. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    True story, when we were kids, we used to go and knock for this one kid who would be part of our gang. At the front door of his house, he had this superb doorbell that would have this huge, great chime that you could hear from outside when you pressed it that went <BING BONNNG>

All us kids would gather at the door to call for him to come out and play and we would do this as a group, every time as we pressed the bell.

“Mola Ram! Mola Ram! Mola Ram SUNDA RAM!”
    <BING BONNNG>

I loved the 80’s

BigAl6ft6 and christophero30 like this.
  14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I believe someone posted it before in this very thread, or maybe another Indy one, but from the Lucas/Spileberg/Kassadan story conferences on Raiders, I believe Lucas said that Indy is a professional skeptic, like he's supposed to debunk this hocus pocus, so he actually comes at every case with an cynical realistic eye. "Interesting craftsmanship" is how he described first seeing the Crystal Skulls before he found the real deal. So I can buy that he accepted the events at the Temple of Doom as something that happened but when they come to him talking about the Ark he's back to dismissing it "Wrath of God or something". Indy does become a believer at the end, as he tells Marion to not look at the Ark when they open it. Basically, he needs proof every time before he can believe.

15. Doom Trooper

Doom Trooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2014
    As the original topic starter, could you please slightly rename it to Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom fans? I originally started it as a thread for fans of TOD who like it the best or at least have it among their top two Indy films. Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  16. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
  17. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    fortune and glory

18. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    Ford has never looked better than he did in Temple of Doom. Even better than in Raiders. He was in really good shape and really cemented that leading man aura he has. Nobody better to play a 1930's adventurer. The triumvirate of Lucas, Spielberg and Ford hit absolute gold with this franchise, and I don't think we will get its like ever again.

[​IMG]

19. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    yeah he looked really snazzy in the white tux.

20. StarYogi

StarYogi Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2005
    Fixed.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  21. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    Can’t argue with that.

22. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Yeah, and Lucas specifically says that Indy has discovered that some of these things are real, but he still approaches everything as a skeptic. So I think that "hocus pocus" line is less of an oversight than people think. Lucas intentionally built a reset button into Indy's characterization so he'd be skeptic at the beginning of every movie. Kind of like Agent Scully.

Sith Lord 2015, Sarge and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  23. EmuBay

Jan 4, 2017
    I always wonder if the Little Maharajah was under some kind of enchantment that would eventually transform him into an actual girl. That outfit, that voice that sounds way too girlish...

24. Dayman76

Dayman76 Jedi Padawan

Apr 6, 2017
    Hi fellow Indy fans! There hasn't been a new LEGO Indiana Jones set in over a decade, but you all can help change that!

With 10k supporters, LEGO will consider making this a real set!
    https://ideas.lego.com/projects/7b3163aa-f97d-49ec-b230-176a94bc5626

Please use the link above, and click the "Support" button! Supporting is completely free. Right now, we have about 7k supporters, so please help "whip" up support by sharing this with all the Indiana Jones fans in your life!

[​IMG]

The set can also be reconfigured whether you prefer chronological or release order!

[​IMG]

Remember to please share and support!
    https://ideas.lego.com/projects/7b3163aa-f97d-49ec-b230-176a94bc5626

(And by the way, I have nothing against the 4th movie, I just wanted to include the classic 80s films. )

Iron_lord and christophero30 like this.
  25. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    This might be splitting hairs a little too thin, but...

The thing is that when he says "I don't believe in magic, a superstitious lot of hocus pocus," that's not saying that he doesn't believe in the Ark's power, that's dismissing the entire concept of the supernatural. Which he shouldn't be able to do if he's already been through TOD. It's totally fine for him to be a skeptic and say "just because the last myth turned out to be real doesn't mean I should automatically believe this one too" (i.e. "do you believe the Grail actually exists"), but he shouldn't be completely dismissing the possibility either.