main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books A/V The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, May 4, 2019.

1. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    I'm glad they finally confirmed that Starkiller was Ilum. only took them for years. just got my copy early tonight so I'm going to comb through it with a fine tooth comb. Also, I love reading about the Sith Eternal stuff.

2. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014
    I don't think Palpatine is gonna honor his name if he's not up there in the tribunes with all the other Sith in this movie is what I mean.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
  3. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Got any info on the page about the Free Worlds Fleet that fought? Pilots or spacecraft?

4. Wrinty

Wrinty Jedi Master star 3

Apr 8, 2007
  5. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Part of its surface is being restored by the events of Vader Immortal.

6. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    A neat connection was giving the name Rothgar Deng to the cyborg dude wearing what looks like Dengar's armour. It's implied to be Dengar after various body modifications, and he's using a name that's not only canonically a probable alias but references the whole Dengar Roth thing in Dark Force Rising. Neat.

7. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    That’s been canon for a while now.

8. Xammer

Xammer Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2009
    That's nice and believable - like the new names of planets in Dune 5-6.

DurararaFTW and Tuskin38 like this.
  9. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013

Well,
    Voren Na'al and Arhul Hextophon
    are mentioned in the book ;)

As for the rest, I'd say a bit of both. But Pablo sure wrote it as if he knows fanculture and TFN and spiced it a lot here and there with too many references to be a coincidence! Especially given a lot seems to be about fanservice with the movie itself, same counts for the visdic!

10. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I had a look for the book today but couldn't see it yet. Hopefully I'll get it after Christmas, as I can't see myself getting it as a gift when it's only just been released. For those that have it though, does it give any more info on
    the Palpatine family, the Snoke clones, or how Anakin's lightsaber ended up on Takodana in TFA?

11. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    No. Palpatine's not featured because of spoilers. A bit more of Snoke's backstory gets alluded to, but nothing direct. Anakin's saber is just said to have been scavenged from the depths of Cloud City, which we knew already.

Grievousdude likes this.
  12. Grievousdude

Jan 27, 2013
    Ah right. I wondered if that would be the case but had hoped they might have gone deeper. The last 3 VD's were still very worthwhile despite their spoiler limitations though, so still very much interested in this.

Do we at least get info on what Lando was up to during TFA and TLJ though? His appearance in the film is no spoiler at this point with all the merchandise and trailers he was in.

13. Tuskin38

Jul 15, 2010
    Not the first mention of those two in the new canon.

Sturm Antilles and Daneira like this.
  14. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Broadly.
    On Pasaana in retirement after losing his daughter to the First Order, having tried to investigate Ochi with Luke before the trail went cold.

Grievousdude likes this.
  15. Grievousdude

Jan 27, 2013
    Very interesting. It really does add extra context to Jannah and Lando's scene at the end of the movie. I hope we get to see more of them together in something in the future.

We also don't know yet what happened with Kaasha, the Twi'lek Lando started a relationship with in the novel Last Shot. Maybe she was the mother of Lando's child or maybe not.

Granted it's nowhere near as important as the mystery of Rey's parentage was but still fun to speculate on.

16. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    Just picked this one up. Loving it so far. Does a great job weaving lots of things from the new cannon together.

Also Korriban. [face_party][face_party]

Darth Caliban likes this.
  17. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    So regarding Luke and his Jedi Order per the Visual Dictionary.
    • 4 ABY-5 ABY - Luke trains Leia as his first apprentice until she felt like she could do more as a mother and as a Senator.
    • 15 ABY - Begins training Ben and over time, gained more students and started his temple.
    • 21 ABY - Feeling the dark side, he begins searching for Exegol (this maybe seen in flashbacks in the Rise of Kylo Ren comic)
    • 28 ABY - Destruction of Luke Skywalker's Jedi Temple, Luke travels to Ahch-To where he stays in exile for the next six years.

So it seems Luke was doing quite well as his Legends counterpart but it seems Snoke and the First Order caused a mess of things. So Reading this makes me understand why Luke was in a funk for most of the TLJ.

18. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    This timeline is a lot better. Luke started training only 4 years after his legends counterpart (maybe he decided to get a college degree ). Also, canon luke used the old order basis to knight people (about a decade of training up till age 25 like kenobi) while legends luke knighted people based on his own massively accelerated training. With this in mind, no knights after 13 years of school running is still within reason. This timeline massively helps the situation and undercuts the feeling that luke did nothing in 30 years.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

19. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    Csilla gets a call out in the section on the Wayfinders. I know Zahn was pretty heavily consulted on the Chiss stuff for TOR, but I can’t remember if he actually name dropped the planet in any of his cannon Thrawn books. Is this the first time the name has appeared in cannon?

20. Tuskin38

Jul 15, 2010
    mnjedi likes this.
  21. BeesInABar

BeesInABar Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2015
    Anyone notice that the layout of the World Between Worlds on page 41 is the same as the view of hyperspatial waypoints to Exegol on page 53? Some may call it an editing error, I call it fun Force weirdness.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

22. Noir Deux

Noir Deux Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 27, 2015
    Is it true that it mentions that the Crimson Corsair was in TROS and the final battle?

He’s a cool character that I hope has the chance to appear later, wether before or after the ST.

23. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    saw him on screen even, yub!

oh i loved those pages!

Also World between Worlds is called Vergence Scatter in one piece and elsewhere Exogol is described as being excavated deep down by Sith cultists to find a Transportative Vergence... related? Sith digging for access to the WBW below a temple like Lothals?

Also Transportative Vergence... may it have transported Palpatine to Exogol?

Vialco likes this.
  24. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Looked for this at the local Waterstones today but they didn't have it. (I managed to find the soundtrack at a different store though). This will have to be an Amazon UK order after Christmas.

25. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Why do we get two pages on Beaumont Kin (92&93) but zero pages on Palpatine? A little disappointed with the book so far. Wanted more information on "The Final Battle" but it's very brief and we get a "Behind the Scenes" chapter. Whoop-ti-do. I wonder if this went to print while JJ and crew were still finalizing the film.

Vialco likes this.