main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rise Of Skywalker - Chosen One Prophecy

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by jedilord27, Dec 20, 2019.

1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    The prophecy is about the balance of the Force not Force users. It's never been about equal numbers between the Jedi and the Sith.

2. Chewiefettthewise

Chewiefettthewise Jedi Youngling

Dec 1, 2019
    Had no problem with Lifeforce or any of that neither did I have any problem with the sith Wayfinder. I do not like how the characters just dart through planets like it is no big deal and the movie felt underwhelming. The fan service was too gimmicky and I would have preferred that instead of Palpatine coming back Darth plagues the wise would. It would make sense and it would have been cool to see him in a movie finally. It is a good conclusion to the trilogy but not the Skywalker Saga.
    7.5/10

whostheBossk likes this.
  3. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    I think Anakin Skywalker was the Chosen One. I think Rey as the Chosen One is fanfiction.

4. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    Prior to Anakin's birth what was the balance status of the galaxy? Were they in the midst of a long period of imbalance?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
    Tan-Wessel likes this.
  5. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Anakin sky walker is still the chosen one, TLJ and TROS confirms this with Luke talking of balance and Anakin telling Rey of how restored the balance and now she must do the same. Also Anakin and the other jedi lends her their strength and the prophecy is again fullfilled with Anakin trough Rey.

6. J_K_DART

J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I think it's a bit more complex than that. Remember, the Chosen One prophecy was finally revealed in a recent tie-in; "A Chosen One shall come, born of no father, and through him will ultimate balance in the Force be restored." Notice the vague wording - "through him."

So, to me, the question is - what was the imbalance in the Force? I think there were two. The Jedi of old venerated balance - hence the Prime Jedi mural in The Last Jedi, and the mantra in the recent Dooku audiobook. But they'd forgotten it, and become advocates only of the light. Meanwhile, the Sith grew in power and influence. Anakin Skywalker destroyed the Jedi Order, and then destroyed the Sith. His son Luke then trained Rey, who learned how to be a Jedi in part because of ancient texts, meaning she's reversed on a lot of the prequel era Jedi mistakes, and probably has the reverence for balance again as well. And so balance is restored.

7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Hey, it's Dart![:D]

8. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Anakin is still the chosen one and Rey acted with Chosen one's help. Aslo Anakin is the chosen of the jedi prophecy while Rey are the chosen one of a sith prophecy

9. _ThatJediScum_

_ThatJediScum_ Jedi Master star 3

Jul 28, 2005
    I feel like the whole movie was a set up for Anakin's return, but that never happened. At many points I felt like I could see Anakin appearing to either Ben/Kylo Ren or Rey, and it just never happened. The Emperor came back and still no Anakin. I felt the whole thing was a teased missed opportunity to wrap up the whole nine movie Saga and JJ just couldn't stick the landing. It felt cowardly, bad and disappointing.

bran

10. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    I checked the Wookiepedia site. Anakin is still the Chosen One. Why did Disney revisit this story arc in the first place? Why couldn't they just move on? It's like they want to completely rewrite Lucas' saga, but are being passive aggresive about it.

11. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    He says in the film “bring balance to the force as I have or did” he is the chosen one

12. Jedi_Prophet77

Jedi_Prophet77 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2017
    So what about Kylo Ren holding out his hand to Rey in TLJ and saying 'The Empire, your parents, the Resistance, the Sith, the Jedi... let the past die. Kill it, if you have to. That's the only way to become what you are meant to be'? If he wants to destroy the Sith and the Jedi, does that make him the chosen one?

Ruffmeian likes this.
  13. dick rodgers

dick rodgers Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2016
    Ill do you one more. I think Rey is fan fiction. Unfortunately. As Daisy Ridley did a FANTASTIC job with the material she was given. or lack there of.

leelaamidala likes this.
  14. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    People say the EU is fanfiction because it's not made by George Lucas. You can say the same thing about the ST.

15. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    the idea of Rey and the ST from GL gives it more canon status. whatever your feelings of it. And Anakin is still the chosen one.

jeangreyforever likes this.
  16. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    You can. I don’t becuase it’s made by the people who bought it

17. dick rodgers

dick rodgers Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2016
    yes, it is. But if Sauron came back in a sequel trilogy because the Tolkien Estate sold the rights to WHOEVER, it'd still be fan fiction. despite whoever owning the rights to tell that story.

18. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Not to me, but if that’s how you want to see it so be it.

19. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    The thing is I watched the Empire of Dreams documentary the other week and George talked a lot about keeping the rights to himself and not giving them up to the studio so that he had the creative control to tell whatever story he wanted and didn't have to worry any studio meddling or what the studio wanted. You can feel both of these in the ST.

20. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    That’s great but doesn’t really change my mind on it. If George really cared he wouldn’t have sold the rights

21. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    I we have a starting point of the force having been way out of balance for generations by the time Anakin is born, then it's pretty easy to reconcile. Anakin would bring balance to the force, and then future generations would merely have to maintain that balance. Thus Anakin's achievement was still of the utmost significance.

Palp_Faction and leelaamidala like this.
  22. yodaman_reborn

yodaman_reborn Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2009
    The concept of the Force itself is related to Lucas's real life view of religion and divinity. As you can see in the bolded text, he has an interesting view on such life force and the idea that humanity is a small part of a larger organism. When all living things work in a harmonious fashion, everything is in balance and the greater entity, the greater consciousness thrives. When all living things choose not to live in a symbiotic fashion, then the greater consciousness begins to die. The Sith are the cancer to which threaten the life of that greater consciousness. Only through their destruction can balance be restored.

Palpatine and the Empire were the epitome of greed and selfishness and therefore became the threat to the Force itself. It is the destruction of the Sith and bringing living things back towards a symbiotic relationship that ultimately will bring the Force back into balance. Who exactly is responsible for that now remains in question.

whostheBossk and Shadao like this.
  23. Mace Litdu

Mace Litdu Jedi Knight

Oct 30, 2017
    Okay, this is an extremely cool way to put it.

ewoksimon likes this.
  24. quiller

quiller Jedi Master star 2

Jun 1, 2005
    Well. I feel Anakin is the chosen one and brought balance.
    When Disney had Luke allow his fears to take hold leading to Ben going to the dark side the force went back out of balance and it actually was indeed Ben-Anakin grandson who brought back balance to the force. With a lot of help from Leia/Han and Rey

25. NOTJEDIMATERIAL

NOTJEDIMATERIAL Jedi Knight star 3

May 3, 2018
    I doubt the chosen one prophecy and other such things mattered at all in the ST and my take is it DEFINATELY wont matter going forward. Canon as a whole doesn't matter now. Disney/LF want a clean slate going forward, to do what they want with the story and not be bound by having to explain why Yoda didn't heal somebody 40 years ago.