main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RJ Trilogy The Rian Johnson Trilogy

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Darth Chiznuk , Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    He should get to do nine films because he tweeted a message of support for an actor who played in a SW movie and got bullied?
    If that rule applied in general, I should be given 200 Star Wars films to make.

Now that the ST has been completed, it is far more clear to me that I would not like to see any Star Wars movie written or directed by RJ.

melkor834, Seeher, 2Cleva and 4 others like this.
  2. Trinu 3.0

Trinu 3.0 Jedi Knight

Dec 19, 2017
    He also made a great SW movie.

And since we haven't seen any news about him being sacked, I'm gonna trust the 1.3 billion dollars he made for Disney and the critical acclaim of both TLJ and Knives Out.

Also

Don’t embed posts that use profanity, the forum rules against language like that still apply. -Pym Edit

I would like to see more of his take on the Force and visit the broom boys of the galaxy.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2019
    Mostly Handless and Tan-Wessel like this.
  3. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018

Or, you know, because he's a proven Star Wars director who worked out for Lucasfilm the first time, and is coming off a major critical darling to boot.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  4. callmejoe

callmejoe Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 11, 2015
    Late to the party but I think this is a good thing. TLJ is still controversial but I think we can say its the most interesting of the sequels regardless of what you think off the execution. If Johnson has most of the control it hopefully will create a more cohesive and unique trilogy.

Mostly Handless and DarthBray like this.
  5. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    Personally for me, Rian Johnson dissipated the excitement JJ Abrams built up. Johnson deconstructs characters down so the audience loses their faith in the character. He should be working on his own independent films rather than deconstructing the SW universe. I have not found him on par with JJ Abrams. Johnson's directing lacks maturity. His interactions with SW fans also lack maturity. Let's say Lucasfilm announced an RJ trilogy in Spring 2020, that would be a huge misstep. He is not good for SW. We cannot have him negatively impacting any more acting careers, equally for male or female actors.

His lack of maturity as a director seems to polarize the fans and heighten toxicity.

I don't see how some people in this thread are confident a trilogy announcement is right around the corner for early next year. SW is moving to television again.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    n8storm, Erkan12 and 2Cleva like this.
  6. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    "Lack of maturity"? "Negatively impacting acting careers"?

:) This elaboration's gon' be good.

7. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    He does taught and troll fans on Twitter.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  8. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Ah, yes, I'm so glad that the conversation finally circled back around to this nonsense point.

9. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    Highly subjective, and I strongly disagree.
    Well he is not getting a trilogy, no matter what you think he is getting. At this point he might get one movie at most, which he will probably only direct if that. But we will be around and see what happens. I suggest we give a Star Wars movie to Michael Bay then, he makes a lot of money too on the box office. And Abrams should make another trilogy, TFA also made a lot of money and people liked it. As for that tweet from that random person which was full of profanity, yeah, sorry, I am with Abrams if we're going to compare.

That wasn't the argument initially. But thanks for jumping in once again, that still doesn't change my mind though.

2Cleva likes this.
  10. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    I kinda agree with this. I don't think he gets another trilogy up front. But I do think he gets another movie with some "lets see how it goes" strings attached for potentially more. For a few reasons. Most have already been mentioned but here's one I don't think has. He directed a movie that grossed $1.3B. Did so in apparently perfect harmony with a studio head that has fired a fair number of directors in a short period of time. And that's not good enough to let him direct the next movie you said he was going to direct? That's not a good signal to send to prospective directors going forward. Possibly even some really good, accomplished directors you'd love to give a Star Wars movie a shot.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  11. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Let's do this guys, lets not give anyone a movie and wait until the plan the crap right. TROS only making in three days with the international cume only $376 million is not something to be bragging about. Star Wars movies have to start off good off the blocks. No one should be doing another star wars movie until the ship gets righted.

2Cleva likes this.
  12. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
  13. Trinu 3.0

Trinu 3.0 Jedi Knight

Dec 19, 2017
    the #thankyourianjohnson trending surprised me as well! But damn, if he wasn't right

Well, the 1.3 billion dollars are not subjective. And the critics loved it,so...

lmao

Nobody knows what he's getting except for the heads of Disney, KK and RJ himself, so let's not.
    We've seen how Disney/LF haven't shied away from kicking out directors like Lord & Miller (Solo) or Trevorrow (TROS) or D&D, and yet... RJ got his film out and seems to be still in good graces with the top guys? So, in my opinion, it all points at him getting his way. But we shall see.

As for Bay and Abrams, I have no objections against any of them. If Disney thinks they're good fits for SW, let them be.

And full of profanity? Really? One f-word? I guess hyperbole is your thing!

[​IMG]

There, no profanity seen!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
    DarthBray likes this.
  14. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018

Pleasantly/somewhat-naively/optimistically trying to reason/converse/explain & educate with people trolling him isn't trolling.

15. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    Money means nothing to me. If my 8 year old nephew had written a script for a Star Wars movie that followed TFA, it would still have made hundreds of millions of dollars. You do you. Doesn't change the fact that the quality of a movie is subjective in many ways by definition. How's that for hyperbole? Shame that it's true.

There is nothing pleasant about his responses to fans that disagree with his choices, most of the times in a polite way.
    See his latest response about video game characters, which is quite the opposite of educated. And most definitely neither pleasant nor optimistic.

melkor834, 2Cleva and cwustudent like this.
  16. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    [face_laugh] Go back to all the hurricane of backlash right after TLJ hit. 100% of the time Rian was the adult in the room in all of those twitter back-and-forths. 100%. You're spinnin'.

17. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I’m so bored of this ****. Enough. You didn’t like one movie he made. Fine. That shouldn’t translate into “I will hunt him down in every JCF thread and Star Wars conversation there is.”

18. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    May be they're a bounty hunter, might be hired by a chunky 60 odd year old with light brown hair and a crazy stare....goes by the name Shark Tramill or Lark Spamill or something sounding like that.

19. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Give Johnson all the time he needs to craft the next Star Wars narrative, hopefully one occurring centuries after the ST, no longer bound by the binary conflict between Jedi/Sith, Empire/Rebellion. Even though I really like the sequel trilogy overall, there's plenty of evidence that rushing that trilogy into production was misguided at best, and careless at worst.

20. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Don't let this guy make another Star Wars movie please.

21. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Well...I mean at least you asked nicely. Maybe they’ll listen.

Was there any credence to the rumour we’d hear about the next film sometime in January?

DarthRosie and Bor Mullet like this.
  22. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
  23. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    After Knives Out, I really want RJ to do a noir detective thriller/ comedy in an obscure corner of the GFFA. He’s absolutely brilliant in that genre.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  24. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Even though i like TFA and love the rise of Skywalker. I actually agree with this, say what you want about TLJ, but at least it wasen't acopy of past movies and filled with nostalgia.

IlhamKamaruddin likes this.
  25. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    That would be completely awful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.