main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Prequel References In The ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Juliemcc81, Dec 21, 2019.

1. Avilos

Avilos Jedi Grand Master star 2

Sep 9, 2002
    The whole opening crawl is written similar to ROTS. Very Pulpy, Saturday morning serials. More than any of the others.

ROTS starts with WAR!
    TROS starts with THE DEAD SPEAK!

Both bold declarations with exclamation points!

The back of C3PO’s exposed head was directly based on what we saw in TPM.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
  2. moxlox

moxlox Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    Yeah, good catch.

Battle droid in the background in that scene too as spotted and excitedly pointed out by my 5yo.

3. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    The Sith chattering/whispering during or near Rey's dark side vision is just like Darth Maul's musical cues.

4. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    Finally getting to catch it, yeah, the lightsaber throwdowns here really did give me prequels vibes. Seemed intentional too, the amount of instances of it, really playing up the flair.

Loved the amount of prequels nods in general, too. Canto Bight's certainly not alone anymore in giving me prequels feels among the environments, either. Exogol (Exegol? Spelling sux, dudez) really felt like an extension of all that Palpatine's office memorabilia.

5. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Palpatine saying “Do it now”. Much like the famous “Do it” in ROTS. It made me smile when he said it.

6. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    Yeah, loved that.

Ian/Palpatine overall in this was just grin-worthy. Couldn't have asked for more from it, personally, other than maybe more to how he actually bites the dust. But I'm basically fine with that as it played out too.

7. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Does he say "do it now?" i know he says "Do it! Make the sacrifice!"

MarcJordan and Ricardo Funes like this.
  8. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    I thought it more favored Cloud City from the architecture and building colour.

9. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    Yeah, if we're talking the lightspeed skip, looked pretty clear as Cloud City to me. Coruscant may have flashed up in the victory montage at the end though, a little fuzzy on that.

10. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Nah it was just Jakku, Cloud City and Endor

11. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    Ah, cool.

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I wish we got Coruscant though

13. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    Hayden’s Anakin tells Rey to “Bring balance to the force, Rey, as I did.” At the end. Mace Windu also speaks.

Palpatine revealing it was all him and being referred to as the “phantom” Emperor also a clear nod to his ability to scheme from the shadows and make everyone think he isn’t involved prior.

When he’s rejuvenated and his acolytes in the stands all cheer him it reminds him and us of his time in the Senate.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
  14. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002
    Finally a Skywalker gained the power to keep the one he loves from dying.

15. moxlox

Nov 1, 2012
    Yep! A good example of this film giving apt closure to the themes of the whole saga, and notably ROTS.

16. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I don't know, to me it feels more like this was one of the cases where it didn't really give good closure to the idea. The whole thing was a big deal in Episode III, here it's a free for all. Conceptually it seems like a really nice idea, especially when this time around it is a selfless love that is the reason for doing it, not the possessive one that drove Anakin at that point. But the ability to do so kind of came out of nowhere, which isn't a good match for ROTS. Though I guess you could explain it to some extend by the special connection between Ben and Rey.

Starwarsisover and moxlox like this.
  17. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Sorry, yeah you’re right. I watched it again today and heard it properly. Do it!

18. moxlox

Nov 1, 2012
    I get your point, though only Ben can do it, having learnt force healing from Rey. I guessed Rey learnt it from the ancient Jedi scripts from Ach-To - which is alluded to in terms of healing in the Visual Dictionary. But that is my leap in joining dots!!

Iron_lord likes this.
  19. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    That does sound plausible. And I have to say, I didn't even think about the connection of the scene to the prequels or the ancient Jedi texts before this topic. This does improve the context a bit for me, though I think the execution could have been a bit better. Maybe make it more visible that Ben is really harming himself by bringing Rey back to life.

The whole force dyad thing between the two is a really interesting concept. But I keep thinking that you could have done a whole lot more with it than we eventually got.

StartCenterEnd likes this.
  20. RogueZero

RogueZero Jedi Master star 2

Mar 17, 2009
    The planets in the lightspeed skip is what they mean. Jakku, Cloud City and the Forest Moon of Endor were seen at the end as the FO falls. By the way, Tatooine and Cloud City are my two favorite Star Wars locations and I was delighted they both appeared in TROS, even if briefly.

I don’t know if anyone pointed this PT connection out yet, but among the voices of the Jedi speaking to Rey is Anakin and Ewan as Obi-Wan. I don’t recall exactly if Mace Windu’s voice was in there too.

21. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It was.

MarcJordan and RogueZero like this.
  22. Skywalker Family

Skywalker Family Jedi Master star 3

Mar 15, 2017
    Lando talking about him and Luke tracking down that ship on Passana reminded me of Anakin and Obi-Wan talking about the adventures they had that we never got to see.

23. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
  24. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I wonder if JJ wanted that to be Mustafar or if that was something the story group added for the VG

25. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    He might just wanted a red planet with woods.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019