main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rise Of Skywalker - Chosen One Prophecy

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by jedilord27, Dec 20, 2019.

1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    We can agree on that he is still the senate :p

2. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Even if the evil were someone else, Anakin's actions did not prevent anyone else in the future from committing evil actions. He didn't drive ALL evil from the universe. Any reader of post-ROTJ EU can tell you that.

3. callmejoe

callmejoe Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 11, 2015
    Nuclear take: Anakin was never the chosen one, but no one else is either. Whether its the EU or ST the Star Wars galaxy is in semi-eternal recurrence. There can only be pauses it the conflict.

indydefense and insideguy like this.
  4. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    For me, Anakin Skywalker is the Chosen One. Bringing balance to the Force is not eradicating evil. Both evil and good will always exist, regardless.

5. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    The chosen one prophecy was a terrible idea in the first place.... and in any case there's plenty of evidence in the films it was a false prophecy.

I mean if the chosen one prophecy is actually true it means nothing in any of the films matters that much and Luke's actions REALLY don't matter since Anakin was going to balance the force anyways. As I said, the chosen one prophecy was a terrible retcon that basically cheapens everything Luke does in the OT (and it's just dumb... the whole "no father" thing from TPM was ridiculous and kind of embarrassing)

Edit - and I don't care what Lucas or anyone else has said about this outside of the films... all that matters is what is in the films. Interpretation is something every viewer does on their own.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
    jeangreyforever likes this.
  6. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Not really. Anakin literally says he is the chosen one with his line “bring balance to the force as I once did” he was the chosen one. He was space Jesus for crying out loud.

7. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    I’ve said this already in other threads, but feel the need to add it here too:

I like the way TRoS addresses it. Anakin tells Rey “restore the balance, as I once did.” His accomplishments are still intact, but history is destined to repeat itself, so Palpatine (or some sorta variation of him) will keep returning, and new chosen ones will also keep rising to defeat him, like Rey and Anakin before her.

I always thought the prophecy thing was kinda dumb, so I was glad to see TRoS “undo” it while still somewhat expanding on it, if that makes sense.

My only complaint is that Anakin’s line which explained this should’ve been MUCH louder, and not drowned out by other noises (apart from music, of course) or other Jedi talking. That would’ve helped drive home the point more effectively, imo.

8. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I agree. I like the prophecy but I never took it to think it would bring balance to the force forever

jeangreyforever and rocknroll41 like this.
  9. callmejoe

Dec 11, 2015
    I think hes referring to the idea being in PT, it wasn't really at all in the OT, we are told Luke will become powerful, but not the most powerful guy ever, and nothing really about Vader if I remember correctly.

10. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Oh I agree with it

11. Havok176

Havok176 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 6, 2016
    This shouldn't even be a debate. The Mortis arc makes it pretty concrete Anakin is the Chosen one. As the father states "And now you see who you truly are, only the chosen one can tame both my children". Besides the Father only a full potential Anakin could have done that feat to his children as its stated the Ones of Mortis are the most powerful force users in the Star Wars lore.

wobbits and DarthFixxxer like this.
  12. Darth__Lobot

Dec 29, 2015
    Even in the PT there's plenty of evidence it was BS... despite what Lucas may say in interviews. The movies are far more interesting if the veracity of the prophecy is uncertain in any case.

(And please don't remind of the space Jesus thing! Oy vey)

jeangreyforever likes this.
  13. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    I know this is not strictly prophecy but apparently according to star wars theory lucasfilm has officially said palps is not anakins father...Lol there goes my head canon...Oh well ..He was still there in the comic while shmi was pregnant with him. So was influential in his path from his first steps. Why he had to create His own lineage to counter balance the chosen one

14. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Space Jesus! Did I scare you?
    While no your correct canon sources pretty much prove that some Jedi prophecies do come true and I like to think the Chosen one prophecy was no different

correct the story group has confirmed Sidious did not create Anakin

15. Darth__Lobot

Dec 29, 2015
    All I'm saying is that inevitable prophecies are very uninteresting (basically then nothing matters).

Now, if a prophecy is uncertain... in that it could come true, but it's not inevitable, that's much more interesting.

If you only watch the films there's a lot of uncertainty... and in the end you could say the prophecy came true from a certain point of view. On the other hand, if Anakin/Vader was always going to destroy the emperor because the prophecy was certain then nothing Luke did matters.

16. callmejoe

Dec 11, 2015
    This, I dislike prophecies and chosen ones in most stories. I fell it very much devalues everyone around them, what are Luke and Kenobi but conduits to his redemption/fall? I also don't like idea that on a metaphysical level,some people are just more important and the universe pivots around them. In the OT we know the skywalker family is the strong with the force(Vader/Luke/Leia), but it wasn't like the whole universe is dependent on them.

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  17. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    There are many valid interpretations I think you can have on the "Chosen One" stuff, I love it when Star Wars does all this mythical stuff, it is ultimately fantasy in space after all.

I do really like this take in particular.

Mostly Handless and ewoksimon like this.
  18. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    bad news Palpatine didn’t create Anakin

19. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    It was in the 2nd and 3rd drafts of ANH:

"...And in the time of greatest
    despair there shall come a savior,
    and he shall be known as: THE SON
    OF THE SUNS."

Journal of the Whills, 3:127

Thank the Force for small favors.

20. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    Always seemed to make sense.

21. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    What Palpatine creating Anakin?

22. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    Yes. And it was a definite thing that could've been but Lucas took it out of ROSith.

23. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    At one point it was outright stated but being in a previous draft doesn't mean much. While yes its implied implied doesn't mean it is canon and in this case it isn't

24. MaverickJedi85

MaverickJedi85 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 16, 2019
    I've learned to accept the Chosen One prophecy as basically PT lore. Yoda even says, and Windu acknowledged him, that "misread could have been".

Sidious nearly wiped out the Jedi, and Vader killed him decades later, but he did it to save his son. Prophecy fulfilled but misread, indeed. The Chosen One prophecy was a very thin/controversial prophecy even for the Jedi Council, pre-TPM era. And the prophecy never said darkness would not rise ever again after its fulfillment (Sidious/Snoke and Kylo Ren).The Chosen One prophecy was not about the perpetual destruction of the Dark Side (an unnatural, impossible act in itself): The Chosen One prophecy was about bringing balance to the Force in an era when the DarkSide (sponsored by the Sith) and impossible weapons of mass destruction (Death Star) threatened to sink the galaxy in perpetual darkness (Galactic Empire era), but in the end the Prophecy was triggered/fulfilled by a simple/natural act of fatherly love/protection. And as I've said, the prophecy (unless I'm wrong) never guaranteed the perpetual balance of the Force and the containment/cleansing? of the Dark Side (ST trilogy).

25. Saturn830

Saturn830 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 8, 2019
    Yeah, it's interesting how, save for like two minutes between draining Rey and Ben's lifeforce and getting incinerated, Palpatine doesn't really 'come back' in TRoS. He has to do his work through others, he's clearly in some zombified state, and he's pretty casual about Rey supplanting him (at least in physical form). It seems that even all his cloning abilities and 'Sith alchemy' couldn't truly return him to life, and that perhaps whatever was left of him couldn't even leave Exogol or perhaps even that Sith structure.