main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Have you read the Unknown Regions RPG Supplement? Lots of good things there for inspiration.

Gamiel likes this.
  2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Can't really use UR, I'm using one of the geographically unspecific planets in it (that's what the characters are going to in grid coordinates O20/P20) and that makes the other geographically unspecific planets/groups unfit since I feel that that would make the UR feel very small if two of them appear near each other.

3. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    @Gamiel For things like this, I use the Essential Atlas and mark the pathway your characters will take into the UR with notes on what species/planets they could (potentially) encounter. Also the UR is realistically huge that there is enough room to make your own planets in it, too.

Gamiel likes this.
  4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Have we seen anything like pinball in GFFA? If no, would people think that pinball is to much of an earthism? If yes, any suggestions what to call it instead?

I know, that's one of the reasons to why I ask after suggestions with species/cultures for them to meet. There are so many SW groups that could have lost colonies in the UR that I need suggestions to hedge me in.

pronker and gizkaspice like this.
  5. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    @Gamiel
    So you're looking for things around grid coordinates O20/P20---that seems to be around Wild Space and probably away from some of the major threats in the UR. You could have something like a random Tof invasion during a major pit stop to make things interesting; characters encountering any potential wild space species here. Maybe an encounter with the Lasat homeworld? Further into that UR area, there may be an encounter with an old Killik colony. Otherwise I have no idea what else could be there, I guess anything (sorry if this wasn't helpful!)

Gamiel and pronker like this.
  6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Thanks. Will look up which ones of those species don't have a fixed geographical point of origin.

Don't think they will encounter the Lasat homeworld, even if they passed it by so dose this story take place around the times of Rebels so that planet has been devastated by the Empire.

You can suggest species from known space that you think could have sent colony-ships to words in grid coordinates O20/P20

7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  8. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    About the villain of my ST
    I’m calling him the Jedi Hunter as he’s known. His name is Skyler though, a name which came from George Lucas’s ST.

Skyler was the best friend of Ben Solo (who has nothing in common but name and family with canon counterpart) before he turned to the dark side.
    He killed a Jedi, and in the first chapter, he killed two more.
    Skyler is now affiliated, but not subservient to, a terrorist organization called the Freedom Coalition. He has fought Leia in the first chapter after killing the other two Jedi.

What I’m considering is: having Skyler be a descendent of Palpatine. He wants to continue Palpatine’s work and revive the Sith.

I’m not sure whether I should bring Palpatine back in this capacity, or maybe have either Darth Bane or Plagueis in the background.

A lot to think about

Iron_lord and pronker like this.
  9. Grievous2003

Grievous2003 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 31, 2019
    I had another idea I wanted your opinion on:

In the Clone Wars, Mother Talzin was able to create a voodoo doll from Dooku's hair and use it to torture him and would've killed him if Grievous did not intervene. What would happen if Talzin created a voodoo doll from Jango Fett's DNA or that of one of his clones? A thought that went through my mind is that, since the entire Clone army shares the same DNA, all the clone troopers would be affected by this voodoo doll. Essentially, Talzin could use this voodoo doll of the Jango Fett clone to destroy the entire Republic clone army. I understand that this sounds overpowered as hell and that it would be more reasonable for the voodoo doll to affect only the particular clone whose DNA was used to create it. I just wanted your thoughts on this as to whether or not it was plausible.

pronker likes this.
  10. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Well, I would say that it's not plausible. Generally, the way voodoo in fiction works is that you need to have something that belongs to someone. A lock of hair is one example, but so is a scrap of clothing or a small trinket. So, a lock of Jango's hair, while containing the same DNA as the clones (and this isn't actually true, anyway - Boba is the only "unmodified" clone and therefore the only one with the exact same DNA as Jango) would still only belong to Jango personally and be associated with Jango.

Lady_Misty and pronker like this.
  11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do you think having Skyler be a descendent of Palpatine or some other Sith would ad anything to the character or story? If not do I suggest not going with that idea.

I agree with @Daneira . Sympathetic magic is usually something that only works on one person (unless you are doing something big, and that takes some power, energy and usually time) so even if you had Talzin created a clay-body with parts of a Clone trooper's body/possession in it so would it probably only affect that single clone. Also, most likely so do it take much more energy from the witch using sympathetic magic if she is trying to affect many people instead of just one person.

Now, if you wanted do do a comedy story do I see some real fun implications in Talzin trying to do something to Boba or a specific clone trooper and instead have all Jango clones doing it, or that every time she use the clay-body so is it a new clone trooper that is affected.

pronker likes this.
  12. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    @Gamiel

I do not intend for him to be “conflicted”, but I’m also not sure about him as the ultimate big bad.
    While he did turn to the dark side of his own accord, he needs a reason to be evil besides, “because I feel like it.”

Maybe there’s an old score to settle for him.

Iron_lord and pronker like this.
  13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Based on what you write here don't I think that having him be a descendent of Palpatine or some other Sith would ad anything to the character or story.

Possible reasons why he went down a bad path could be:
    * doing the good thing was heard and he did not begin doing evil stuff, just not doing good stuff and then it just become easier to do stuff that was bad.
    * he believe (rightly or not) that he will lose his life/freedom/comfort if he don't do the evil stuff he do.
    - or somebody beloved to him is the one being threatened.
    * he likes the feeling of importance his currant role gives him and just ignore his consciousness
    * he do some small good deeds from time to time that he somehow convinces himself balances all the evil stuff he do.
    * what he do has become his job, he don't really think about how bad some of the stuff he has to do is, he take no pleasure in it even if he do feel pride after having finished a mission.

pronker likes this.
  14. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Parents in the US, when your children gather candy whilst trick-or-treating at Halloween, what, if any, checks do you make on the donated treats?

15. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    Honestly, I've never checked the Youngling's candy, but she only trick or treats in our neighborhood, maybe a dozen houses tops,and most of our neighbors are retirees. Maybe I'm too trusting, but I figure the odds of nice Mildred on the corner tampering with kids' candy is pretty slim.

Jedi Knight Fett and Sith-I-5 like this.
  16. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    Updated thoughts on the villains of my ST:

Skyler was found as a young child by Luke Skywalker and trained as a Jedi, becoming best friends with Ben Solo (who is not at all like his canon namesake). Skyler then found out he is the great-grandson or great-great-grandson of Palpatine (who had kids before TPM).

At the end of Episode VII: The Bloodline Heir (title refers to both the main character siblings Kira and Ben Solo and Skyler Palpatine), Skyler speaks with the ghost of Palpatine. Same in Episode VIII, but in Episode IX, it is revealed the ghost of Palpatine isn’t Palpatine at all, but Plagueis pretending.

Iron_lord likes this.
  17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    To continue with this:
    The characters travelling are scientists/scholars and most of grid coordinates O20/P20 are unknown space with only a few words established, giving me lots of space to creat stuff. What kind of civilizations/societies do people think would be fun/interesting for them to have to interact with during the travel? And if they meet some new kind/s of sentient species, what physical form/s would people like to see them have?

18. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    I used to make sure everything was wrapped properly (no unwrapped or opened candy or treats). Other than that, pretty much let the stuff go with just a quick once-over since we usually only went to houses of people we knew and trusted.

Tarsier likes this.
  19. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    divapilot and Raissa Baiard like this.
  20. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    How about....Ishi Tib, some lost Selkath colony, Arcona, Ongree, Kaleesh colony or some outcasts, a random and arrogant lyra that's a professor with potential dialogue: "Look at these tourists! So called "scholars"; they don't even have a fifth tentacle!" :p

New species: talking plants, half-plant/half something else, radial symmetric forms, non-humanoid.

Was this at all helpful in some capacity?

Gamiel likes this.
  21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    [face_laugh] that is a wonderfull idé, I will try to put that in.

Yes.

If you (or anybody else) have more suggestions am I intressed

gizkaspice likes this.
  22. gaarastar58

gaarastar58 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2010
    Reviewing some of my old unfinished fics - does anyone happen to know whether Dooku used a curve-hilted lightsaber before he left the Jedi Order? I am writing a fic set around the time when Qui-Gon becomes a Jedi Knight having been Dooku's apprentice. Also any lore about what colour their saber's were around this time? In my head Qui-Gon's would be green and Dooku's would be blue but I am happy to be corrected.

23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Legends illustrations of him I have found with a quick search shows him with a straight hilted 'sabre, don't know blade colour. Both illustrations I have found shows him black/dark-brown in beard and hair.

In the new canon Dooku comic we see a white in beard and hair Jedi dooku using a curve-hilted lightsaber with a blue blade.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
  24. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Looking at that comic, the hilt seems curved to me.

pronker likes this.
  25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    That's what I said. Or at least tried to say.