main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RJ Trilogy The Rian Johnson Trilogy

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Darth Chiznuk , Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    For a noir detective thriller/comedy...

something along the lines of the old DH comic Agent of the Empire could work quite well.

2. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I think RJ will get to play in the new timeline they are making. Maybe a jedi and smuggler story.

DarthRosie likes this.
  3. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    And in general, the amount of world building that can be done by just telling regular stories around the GFFA is a thrilling prospect all on its own. You don't need massive galactic conflicts to flesh out the galaxy.

Mostly Handless and Bor Mullet like this.
  4. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I can’t believe people actually think this is still happening.

Gamma626, melkor834, 2Cleva and 2 others like this.
  5. zackm

Dec 22, 2015
    I can't believe people still post in this thread solely to tell other people that this isn't happening.

6. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    I dunno I feel that they sort of already did it with success in AOTC tracking down Padme’s would be killers.

Believe! There are absolutely dozens of us!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
    jedi-soon likes this.
  7. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    After seeing Knives Out, I can say with confidence that Johnson's not actually a bad filmmaker (though I was more or less in the middle when it comes to TLJ anyway). So...I honestly would be fine with them letting him do a one-off or a TV segment in a new, different corner of the galaxy, but I do think Lucasfilm doing away with trilogies for the forseeable future is the way to go either way.

8. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    A million times no. Jahan Cross is reserved for Christopher Nolan [face_praying] And AotE isn't comedy.

Tython Awakening likes this.
  9. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    Nah, that'd rule.

Can't see them going a detective route for a SW flick though.

10. zackm

Dec 22, 2015
    Congrats to Rian. Still plenty left in the tank.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  11. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Call me crazy, but I think this guy gets it:

[​IMG]

12. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    There's going to be a LOT of blame put on RJ for quite a while, especially if TROS also fades quickly. I mean, the same will hold true for JJ as well. Neither of them will be accepted warmly by SW fans when this trilogy has come and passed. Rian's best hope is to have a D+ show for SW.

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  13. eko32eko7

eko32eko7 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 10, 2018
    You're crazy.

melkor834 likes this.
  14. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    You want museum exhibit?

Tython Awakening and Wrenegade like this.
  15. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    Rian heard you on that comment. Is someone supposed to respond with "Ok, I will show you a museum!"

Tertiary points, my friend

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  16. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Who are you referring to?

17. Trinu 3.0

Trinu 3.0 Jedi Knight

Dec 19, 2017
    To all those (like you) who are so hell-bent on trying to convince others that this isn't happening while there is no evidence that suggests so.

18. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    All fine if you are making a "stand alone" or a new series/trilogy that's divorced from anything that's gone before. The problem was RJ was making Episode 8 of a 9 part Saga and his film just didn't fit in with what had gone before or was yet to come.

I've always said RJ could have been really good with a new series or a stand alone film because he is very visual and some of his shots in TLJ are absolutely gorgeous...

19. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Nice way to put everyone in the same bag. But I have repeatedly said that unless I see an official statement, I have no reason to think his movie is not happening. Though I suspect his role might be diminished. And I see no way he's getting a trilogy.

There has been no hunting down. For whatever reason RJ is being treated as someone who people should never criticize. We were having a conversation if I'm not mistaken.

20. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    Bwaha. Nobody's said Rian "shouldn't be criticized". Just that the ridiculous salivating venom spat at the guy is way over the top. It's a different concept.

Like his movie or don't, fair either way. But c'mon, this guy's taken way more heat than any other Star Wars director bar George himself with the prequels, for nothing other than having the balls to push things a little outside the box and try to venture into new territory. And from the same people b*tching for two years over how Abrams "played it too safe" with TFA.

21. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Right, it's absolutely fair to criticize TLJ elsewhere. But I don't think it's fair to extend one's bias against the film to continually bombard this thread with baseless statements. If you're not interested in Johnson's future work with Lucasfilm, why even bother posting here? There are plenty of other forthcoming Star Wars projects to be excited for and speculate about.

22. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    If Rian returns to SW, I'd like to see him take on a character like Dr. Aphra. That's the right kind of character for him IMO.

Krueger and Demon4x4 like this.
  23. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    You know, I saw Knives Out two times and I truly enjoyed the movie. I'm also in the camp that kind of liked TLJ but not what they did to Luke. After looking at numerous youtube videos, there is just a bunch of mess with Lucasfilm that one does not know what to believe. Do I think RJ should get another star wars movie? Yes, he should as long as he doesn't do anything with the saga characters then yes. Let's face it, he was bold like Gareth Edwards. They told good star wars stories that challenged everything. JJ while not bad, has been more conservative in his approach which is not a bad thing, but I think we need to see new things and concepts.

24. The Raddinator

The Raddinator Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2017
    Knives Out is quite clarifying because it is basically for Agatha Christie style detective stories exactly what TLJ was for Star Wars (and to a lesser extent, you can say the same for his Breaking Bad episodes and the genre of that show or Looper and sci fi / time travel stuff); an extreme genre-savvy tribute to the past which also seeks to clear a path to a bolder future. You can feel RJ's love of those classic stories baked into every scene of KO just as his love of Star Wars is baked into every moment of TLJ, but it's that same affection that makes him want to surprise audiences who know the material as well as him, and give them something new and more challenging. It's unsurprising that professional critics love that approach consistently, that general audiences quite like it even if they don't love it, and that hardcore devotees are far more split on it.

My hope is that applying that same approach elsewhere in the universe where fans haven't dug in quite so hard on the existing characters and lore will allow more people to appreciate it for the breath of fresh air and sheer level of craftsmanship without the same level of division. TLJ has a strong claim to the best *made* film in the whole saga, rivalled only by ANH or Empire, and it would be wonderful to see that deployed somewhere that more fans could appreciate it too.

El_Machete12, Demon4x4 and Tho Yor like this.
  25. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Has it been officially announced that Disney is *not* moving forward with an RJ trilogy or is it mainly buzz and whispers?

cwustudent likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.