main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST POLL: Rate/Rank/Compare The ST Films

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Glitterstimm, Dec 24, 2019.

?

What's Your Favorite ST Film? - Poll

1. The Rise of Skywalker

109 vote(s)
    29.7%
  2. The Last Jedi

115 vote(s)
    31.3%
  3. The Force Awakens

127 vote(s)
    34.6%
  4. I like them all equally!

16 vote(s)
    4.4%
  1. Blame_It_On_Lucas

Blame_It_On_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 29, 2004
    Favorite without a doubt is Last Jedi. Ranking the last two however is weird for me. Objectively speaking TFA is the far better film but I find the story beats very perfunctory once Han shows up. TROS, as many problems as I have with it and how predictable and relatively uncreative it is, still feels like a fresher experience than TFA and in a way more rewatchable. So I guess I'd rank it:

1. Last Jedi
    2. Rise of Skywalker
    3. Force Awakens

jeangreyforever likes this.
  2. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    Probably Last Jedi, for all the other faults the build up to Rey/Kylo was pretty good and something original for the series.

3. Fifi Kenobi

Fifi Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2019
    1) TLJ - well crafted and fearless with some breathtaking cinematography. Some near misses in the movie, but I'm used to that in SW
    2) TFA - love this for the first half of the movie. John Boyega steals the scenes.
    3) TROS - have to see this a second time. I know I liked the ending, but not liking being rushed and feeling pressured while watching it. Really disappointed in Plapy's role. He's like the damn death star, I keep waiting for something BIGGER than him.

4. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

ForceGhostPrincessLeia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 22, 2018
    1) TFA is the only film that doesn't take a massive **** on Rey's character and at least pretends she's the protagonist of the film as she was marketed.
    2) I hated TLJ, it didn't work as a sequel, but I think it might have been a watchable movie had it been written around original characters and not meant to function within a trilogy and a larger saga.
    3) RoS: WTF. Doesn't work as a sequel, doesn't work as part of the saga, doesn't work as a coherent story, and the editing is painfully frenetic. And while it had the opportunity to retroactively make TLJ a more palatable film, it instead chose to retroactively make TFA a worse film.

5. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    TITLE UPDATE.

6. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    1) The Last Jedi (the most problematic, in terms of characterisation, but more creative and technically better than the other ST entries IMO).
    2) The Rise of Skywalker (probably the quickest paced film of the ST, but feels like a film made by a 1st year film student).
    3) The Force Awakens (the most MOR film of the entire franchise. Derivative and prosaic to the point of physical pain.

Visivious Drakarn likes this.
  7. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I gotta go with the Force Awakens, but ROS is close.

8. ABH1979

ABH1979 Jedi Padawan

Apr 23, 2018
    1. TROS
    2. TLJ - the Holdo maneuver, red room, and Luke’s force-projection scenes
    3. TFA
    4. TLJ - Canto Bight and the rest

9. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    TROS (5/10) - in parts enjoyable. would be a little higher as a film set 100 years into the future and OT3 legacy still intact [face_sigh]
    TFA (4/10) - cameo Luke, but at that time there was still a little hope Luke would somehow return and do something important. [face_sigh]
    TLJ (0/10) - yeah it is and stays a zero vote =((

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  10. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    Just wanted to follow-up in this observation of mine above by saying that I started watching new post-TRoS ranking videos on YouTube now, and have noticed a similar pattern. The videos themselves seem to rank TRoS low, while the comments on these videos seem to rank it high.

Again, I continuously find this to be interesting! I wonder what the general consensus of TRoS will be like in the long run.

11. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    That's my order:
    TFA
    TROS
    TLJ

I also agree in liking only the Crait scene of TLJ.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  12. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I think that’s very true... based on what I’ve seen. However, what I would say is that the worst (not all) of the on-line views seem to be from the more causal Star Wars fans. The more hardcore fans (us here) seem to be more forgiving in that views are broadly more positive or ambivalent.

rocknroll41 likes this.
  13. Binary_Sunset

Oct 28, 2000
    Indeed. In hindsight, I would have liked a sequel trilogy that was much lower key. No Sith, no First Order, no planet killers, no threats to the galaxy, etc. Set it 100 years after Return of the Jedi (so Luke, Han, Leia, and Lando would all be legends of the past and no longer alive). Chewie now owns the Millennium Falcon and still pals around with C-3PO and R2-D2. They befriend Rey, Finn, Poe, and BB-8 and have adventures together. Lots of good chemistry there. It would have been fun.

EDIT: And maybe even have a scene of Luke as a Force ghost giving Rey guidance.

14. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

ForceGhostPrincessLeia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 22, 2018
    This hardcore fan is neither forgiving nor positive. If I wasn't a hardcore fan who understood exactly how little respect RoS showed for SW, I *might* have a slightly higher opinion, but between the editing, the "plot," and the problematic messaging, I probably would still not be a fan

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  15. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I enjoyed all the ST movies but my favorite is, 1.TLJ
    Followed by, 2.TFA

And finally, 3.TROS
    But like I said I love them all!

16. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    Based on having only seen TROS once:

TFA
    TROS
    TLJ

I enjoy them all but TLJ does drag a fair bit with all the dull Canto Bight and Poe vs Holdo stuff. TROS lacks oxygen because of its hectic editing/pacing and TFA lacks originality. Difficult to rank at present but I really do love TFA so that goes top.

Sarge and rocknroll41 like this.
  17. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    The hardcore fans have been hating SW since at least 1983 :)

18. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Ugh my Ranking thread got closed. :(

19. Mindless Monster

Mindless Monster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 4, 2014
    Somehow, someway it’s The Last Jedi

20. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    TROS is the only one that made me feel or care much. It also makes the other two better. I won't say it's GL quality, but JJ is a craftsman and he did as good a job with it as could have possibly been done.

21. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    TROS > TLJ > TFA

22. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    1. TLJ
    2. TFA
    3. TROS

TLJ is in its own league, easily the most superior out of the three. TFA was a competent first film of the trilogy, that was a nice way to bring Star Wars back. TROS just feels like missed potential that could have been so much more. It also doesn’t help that the film is very messy and poorly edited.

23. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    1. TFA: derivate and lazy in the story department, and made the fatal mistake of the entire ST by not having Luke in the movie. But I genuinely cared about the new characters and was fully bought into where they would go next.
    2. TLJ: my favorite of the ST visually, but put subversion above character and story development. And went all in on Reylo. Should have kept Luke alive given what happened to Carrie Fisher in real life.
    3. TROS: visually ugly, and just did not "feel" like a Star Wars movie. Handicapped by what happened in TLJ, it still made choices that harm the overall saga to me - bringing back Palpatine, doubling down on Reylo, making Rey a Palpatine instead of a nobody. Have little desire to ever see it again.

24. Binary_Sunset

Oct 28, 2000
    Yep. One of, and perhaps the, most visually ugly of the Star Wars films.

25. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Hmmm.

1a. TROS 9/10
    1b. TLJ 9/10
    1c. TFA 9/10

How they rank overall, meditate upon this I will.

Before 2012:

1. ROTS
    2. TESB
    3. AOTC
    4. ANH
    5. TPM
    6. ROTJ

And I loved all 6.

R1 and Solo are also 9/10. TCW movie I liked a lot the first time. Second time not as much. When I watch it again I’ll watch it as the pilot for one of the greatest animated TV series ever.

Ricardo Funes likes this.