main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Prequel References In The ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Juliemcc81, Dec 21, 2019.

1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    That’s my guess as well

2. Shadao

Shadao Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2017
    Personally, I would cut the whole Kylo Ren fighting in the woods to retrieve the Wayfinder and replace it with Kylo Ren's ship emerging from the planet's atmosphere and landing on the Star Destroyer, where he shows his subordinates of what he had found.

That way, we don't confuse the audience of what planet he was on. The fiery visage of Mustafar from outer space should be enough to clue audience of that planet's significance and not lead into a Jakku-Tatooine problem.

3. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I wouldn't exactly call this a reference, but Kylo and Rey's duel on the Death Star II wreckage on Kef Bir felt like a deliberate visual inversion of the Anakin/Obi-Wan duel in ROTS, but instead of the destructive of fire and lava, they are surrounded by the cleansing water, reflective of how the duel itself resolves.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  4. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Ben dangling, saying "Ow."
    Anakin dangling from a elevator shaft, saying, "Oops."

:p

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  5. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018

Got that sense, too. Not in a really blatant wink-wink way, just echoing the broad structure of it - narrow platforms, lots of jump/flip-feats, flashier swordplay. As you say, the water environment feels like an inverse of Mustafar too while still being this hostile surrounding you don't exactly want to lose your footing and fall into.

6. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    Maul: At last....

Sidious: At last....

7. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Feb 26, 2014
    TPM: The Queen foiled Sidious’s plan.

TROS: The Princess foiled Sidious’s plan.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  8. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    You mean Leia reaching out to Kylo?
    Hadn't thought of that, come to think of it there is a link between Palpatine telling Pryde his plans must change and Palpatine telling Gunray similar in TPM.
    Good catch.

9. grungebunny

grungebunny Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 20, 2005
    The Dyad seems to just be an extension of the Star Wars Episode 1 theme of Symbiotic relationships
    'You and the Naboo form a symbiotic circle, what happens to one of you will affect the other, you must understand this'

Symbiosis being the living together of two dissimilar organisms, as in mutualism, commensalism, amensalism, or parasitism.
    Commensalism- One organism benefits and the other is neither harmed nor helped.
    Amensalism- is any relationship between organisms of different species in which one organism is inhibited or destroyed while the other organism remains unaffected
    Mutualism- Both organisms benefit. An obligate mutualist cannot survive without its partner; a facultative mutualist can survive on its own.
    Parasitism- One organism (the parasite) benefits and the other (the host) is harmed.

George seems to use this with Anakin and Padme in episode three. Themselves being obligate mutualists and perhaps Vader even becoming paratistic of her life energy in the end. Rey and Ben may be facultative mutualist in this concept. I was surprised she could survive with only half.

There is a similar line too, the hologram of Sidious to Pryde says he didn't expect what the Princess of Alderaan did. He said the same of Padme 'This is an unexpected move for her.It's too aggressive.'

10. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    There might have been some but so far for me this entire trilogy has done everything to distance itself from the prequels. This trilogy actually made me like the prequels even more and cherish it for being what I call true Star Wars. The Gungan battle vs. the droids in TPM is better than any fights I’ve seen in the sequel trilogy.

11. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Feb 26, 2014
    TFA had a few prequel references/rhyming, TROS had more, and TLJ had even more.

cratylus likes this.
  12. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I admit I didn’t really notice them. I got hooked with the practical effects, the usage of less digital stuff, and the filming on regular film aspect of homage to the OT than anything with the prequels.

13. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    The Sith arena at Exegol certainly inspired by the Geonosis arena. The design and pillars between the sections of the crowd. At the far and close up views of the hooded Sith robed acolytes, like the way the Genosian warriors, drones and soldiers looking on and moving about.

MJ

14. greytstar

greytstar Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 17, 2015
    I can only answer with a spoiler so don´t read if you don´t want to, having said that, to me, the battle between Rey and her grandfather at the end of the movie, inside that big stadium full of sith simphathyzers was like the conclusion of the never finished fight between Palpatin and Yoda inside the Republic´s senate. The environment is different and the style of the fight is also different but Yoda and all other jedi were inside Rey in that moment

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  15. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Yeah, Lando and Luke teaming up to catch a Jedi hunter gave me old Legends EU vibes. I also got old EU feelings from the brief (but utterly cool) flashback to young Luke and Leia training.

16. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018

[​IMG]

Hadn't even thought about that. Doubt it's intentional, but it works. Cool stuff.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  17. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    The inside of Palpatine's robes lined with red certainly feels like a connection to his appearance in ROTS. I was happy that the costume wasn't strictly a recycling of his ROTJ appearance.

18. Cave of Erised

Cave of Erised Jedi Knight star 2

May 3, 2018
    The poetic symmetry between the selfishness of Anakin’s love for Padme contrasted to the selflessness of Ben’s love for Rey.

19. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Agreed in part.

I think Anakin's becomes selfish, much like Ben's becomes selfless.

Anakin in TPM "gives without any thought of reward". Ben ends the trilogy selflessly sacrificing his own life for Rey's.

Anakin in AOTC starts to become a little possessive of Padme, and does some dark stuff in reaction to the death of his mother.
    Kylo in TLJ is mostly evil, but he spares Rey's life to kill Snoke. As with Anakin in Ep2, Kylo's motives in this film are grey - a combination of killing Snoke to consolidate more power yet actually caring for Rey as well. Both characters (Ren and Anakin) are a mix in the middle of the trilogy.

Anakin in ROTS I would argue truly loves Padme at the start of the film, but after turning to save her he gradually loses sight of his original motive and it becomes solely about himself.
    I wouldn't argue Kylo in TFA at all loves Rey.

(Also; crazy about the forum merge. I thought it was a glitch)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    cratylus and MarcJordan like this.
  20. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    TITLE UPDATE.

21. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
    I guess I'll add this in here. In connection to the above, I'm thinking of the moment of Shmi dies in her son's arms. Anakin is in shock and dismayed he looks away and around feeling helpless. Shmi also happens to have died with her eyes open. Rey also dies with eyes open, and in the arms of Ben. Ben looks around seemingly helpless, but his reaction is the opposite of Anakin's.

Now, of course the context is completely different but I'd say Ben gets calm and meditates and heals Rey back to life. Anakin on the other goes beserk and completely uncharacteristic of a Jedi can't calm down any way shape or form and kills, the Tusken men, women and children.

Ben becomes selfless Jedi. In fact completely selfless and sacrificial. I'll add that Leia and her son are one now and complete. Anakin and his mother not so much, even it's more of a disaster as Shmi said she was complete. Anakin heeded nothing!

MJ

22. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
    Feel, don’t think. Use your instincts“ Qui Gon to a Force sensitive potential (and learning) Anakin.

“An instinct, a feeling” - Finn (learning that he is Force sensitive) .

MJ

23. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    my favourite one personally was "gooood" by Palpatine.

It was just delivered so perfect. Like McDiarmid was still working on ROTJ in 83.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  24. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    Jannah reminds me a little of Anakin. A tinkerer living on the outskirts of the galaxy who didn’t know she has the Force but has a feeling the newcomers are something special just as Anakin suspects Qui Gon is a Jedi there on more important business. She’s good at fixing and building things too and was essentially a slave who broke away.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    cratylus, Dandelo and Iron_lord like this.
  25. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Great catch!

Link1130, MarcJordan and Iron_lord like this.