main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo The Darth Maul Cameo

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Darth_Voider, May 23, 2018.

1. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    I just found out about this myself. How screwed up are their priorities that they wanted to keep continuity with a show instead of the actual movies? The show should strive to match continuity with the movies, not the other way around. Case in point; the number of audience members that were baffled that Darth Maul was back because - you guessed it - the last thing the general audience remembers about Maul was the Phantom Menace. In other words, they wanted an impressionist instead of the guy he was doing an impression of.

I had previously assumed they didn't invite Peter back, or he refused to come back; would have been a lot more straightforward. But to put on our tinfoil hats here for a moment, I think it's odd that he was let go with such late notice. Could it have been some internal conflict over his constant trashing of George Lucas? Would make more sense than "we wanted the guy from the TV show."

Now granted, Peter always comes across as a jerk when in interview, but he still is the voice of Darth Maul. And I can understand him being a little miffed in this case. I believe that Ron Howard saved Solo, but this was a misstep in my eyes. Though I think it may have been a case of Lucasfilm sticking their nose into production and making some executive decisions.

Watcherwithin and DurararaFTW like this.
  2. Sannom

Sannom Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2011
    Because at this point Maul is much more of a TV character than he is a movie one, because Sam Witwer has probably ten times the lines that Peter Serafinowicz did, because, in short, Sam Witwer has become the iconic Darth Maul actor, on the same level if not higher than Ray Park.

Nah. Maul had very few lines in TPM and a lot more in the TV shows, Sam Witwer is the voice of Darth Maul now.

3. Devizz

Devizz Jedi Master star 3

Apr 30, 2014
    Could not disagree more.

4. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    People that aren’t even Star Wars fans can recognize Ray Park’s Darth Maul in the same way as Darth Vader and Yoda. TV show Maul is not “iconic” to that degree. A character cannot be iconic and simultaneously not be recognized by a large portion of audiences (all the audience members not familiar with Darth Maul’s TV show arc).

You can say you prefer Maul on the show, no one’s fighting you on that. But that doesn’t equate to him more recognizable.

To play devil’s advocate here: should James Arnold Taylor dub in all of Obi-Wan’s dialog in the movies for a new special edition? That would certainly create more continuity with the show. My point is that there should be a hierarchy of canon, and the films should always come first.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
    whostheBossk and DurararaFTW like this.
  5. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Peter Serafinowicz could've worked of course for the movie, he did a memorable job back for TPM, but the voice was never the embodiment character it was always Park's screen presence, his posture, demeanor and action and all of that kinda thing.

Witwer's voice is more iconic as the voice of the Darth Maul character since he won many awards for it and voiced the character for a couple of years and in a few different mediums, talking from like 2011- present day.

With the many Clone Wars cartoon character voices at the end of TROS, I don't view it as mistake to use Witwer who did an better job voicing the character in the movie than even the cartoons - he seemed more serious while Ray Park was present back as Maul. But having the TCW/Rebels cast voice their characters makes Witwer as Maul make even perhaps a lil more sense in terms of continuity and familiarity. For example, I do think if Ahsoka ever gets to live action , Ashley will no doubt voice her character.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  6. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    So you'd have another actress playing her, but Ashley would have to dub all her lines? o_O

7. Devizz

Devizz Jedi Master star 3

Apr 30, 2014
    How can you compare Ewan to Peter Serafinowicz though. Maul says almsot nothing in the movies, Ray Park was cast due to his skill as a stunt performer and a martial artist because thats what Maul's character was all about in the movie: cool fighting scenes. Everyone knows Ewan's classic lines as Obi-Wan and remembers him for the said lines, noone remebers Maul for his "At least we will reveal ourselves to the jedi, at least we will have revenge' line. Yes, its a catchy line but it is the only thing he says in the entire movie, the voice is quite forgettable UNLIKE the character's voice in TCW with numerous dialogue. They fleshed out and added more depth to the character in that show.

Erkan12 and Fredrik Vallestrand like this.
  8. Sannom

Nov 14, 2011
    Hey, no. Maul is a special case because his body and voice were different from the beginning, if an actress other than Ashley Eckstein gets to play Ahsoka in live action, let's have her voice. Especially if she has a lot of dialog, I understand that the american industry isn't particularly experienced or good at dubbing live action.

9. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Serafinowicz’s Maul is much better, IMO. I don’t really like Witwer’s overacting and bad English accent.

10. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Park was recently teasing "meet me on Dathomir".

[​IMG]

11. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    It was unnecessary for Maul to be in the film. It’d be interesting to see a SW film or TV show without someone who’s Force Sensitive. I had thought R1 was supposed to be that way. But am I complaining that R1 had Vader, or Maul in this film, or a Baby Yoda? Nope.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  12. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Wait, what??? Where? He did this before Solo and literally none of us noticed it. Not this time, Park! :p

13. jc1138

jc1138 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 16, 2004
    I wish there were no Maul cameo, especially not of him showing off his lightsaber in a holotransmission for only the audience's benefit (a pet peeve of mine).

DARTH_BELO and Sarge like this.
  14. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Sure, the film didn't NEED the cameo, but I like it in terms of universe building.

15. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    He was showing it to Qi’ra. You know, the other character in that scene.

Sudooku likes this.
  16. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Yeah, he's intimidating her from afar just to hammer the point to the audience who'd not watched TCW that he was still a bad ass s.o.b.

17. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    It also may have been Qi’ra’s first time directly interacting with Maul. So it works in-universe too.

Sudooku and PCCViking like this.
  18. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    Ron Howard was filming by the end of June 2017. He chose Maul from a list. Ray Park was given a call in 'June/July'. The he filmed the scene in Oct. 2017.
    In Sep. 2017, Trevorrow left. In his final script, we have this Sollony Ren, a female 'maul-like character' (that's how Jason ward described her), and the FO second-in-command. Then the Star Wars Insider Magazine (Dec.21) stated as a fact that 'Snoke has trained Kylo Ren and at least one other apprentice'. He/she was never mentioned again, and Sollony Ren not even once, until the script she was in leaked 2 years later.

This other apprentice thing was just one week after TLJ was released, together with those dice whose story would not be told until May 2018 ('Solo')

All this sounds like elements of other storylines popping up in the Skywalker saga, as if they made sense; and then being buried again as if they didn't make enough sense. They made sense through Han, I'd guess. All those names have a similar ring to them: Rey Solana, Ben Solo/Kylo Ren, Sollony Ren. Who knows.

'Qi'ra is not done in Han's life', said Jon Kasdan. Emilia Clarke is 10 years older than Qi'ra.

The film ends with Maul wanting to find Han, and with Qi'ra not wanting that to happen. Han survived, Maul was killed, and a weapon from Qi'ra ship ended up -apparently- in the hands of Ap'lek, a KOR. The ship was called the first light; and the space pirates who would transform into the KOR were the seven light . Also a ship? Whose ship? Did Maul know about it?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    whostheBossk, Lulu Mars and Sarge like this.
  19. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
  20. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    He got the role. So was it really worth insulting Prinze and a producer by telling that story? Really don’t like this dude’s attitude.

21. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Prinze? You mean Peter?

22. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Yes, sorry. I was mixing up two stories. He insulted Prinze in another interview where he said he was originally cast as Kanan.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
  23. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    "Look, there’s stories about Maul I won’t be able to tell for another 20 years. There’s just stories I can’t go anywhere near until about 20 years have passed and I think people are going to be very shocked when I eventually tell those stories (laughs). They’re related to all these things. All kinds of stuff. But you can’t tell those stories now. In 20 years, when I’m fully an old man and don’t care about anything, I will say things that will blow people’s minds and make national news and stuff. But no, I’m not that stupid yet (Laughs)."

So a TV series in the works...

As for Peter, not sure where you might think Witwer is insulting anyone. It is common knowledge that Peter had made fun of and bashed the prequels all the time and Lucas and Star Wars in general for decades as a point of fact. While I am sure Sam petitioned hard for the role as he admits, and Filoni am sure helped him and others at Lucasfilm that is pretty clear I think. In the end they made the right choice as it was a very good performance to compliment Ray Park's MAUL. It seems Peter’s version of Maul was out’ve step with the character and what the character has been doing since George brought him back on TCW and his future stories. Sounds like Peter was doing his own thing rather than following either his performance(which he made fun of on occasions) in TPM or TCW’s. Apparently one of the producers never watched TCW and was not really well informed either. Plus it sounds like originally that they had a different version of Maul which maybe more matched some of the more bizarre concept art of Maul in SOLO that was released after the movie came out(but not included in the Official Art of.. book). While the finished product Maul is MAUL in SOLO. They got everything right, perfect tease.

But of course this is just from Sam's side of the story which I have to assume is pretty well documented and seems fair, but according to Peter's side it was pretty rough and did not seem handled with any respect or care which might be typical Hollyweird.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
  24. Sannom

Nov 14, 2011
    I can believe that Peter couldn't quite get the same voice as in TPM, especially since Maul emotes a little bit more in Solo. If you can't have the TMP voice, might as well go for the animation voice!

I think it was mentioned somewhere that Maul initially had his TPM lightsaber and that it was either Ray Park or Sam Witwer who convinced them to go for the Rebels look.

25. The Senate

The Senate Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 12, 2020
    I like hoe in both spin off films we've gotten a sith cameo.WOnder what we will get in the next soon off film?