main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census Now that it's over which do you like better, the Sequel Trilogy or the Prequel Trilogy? (read: hell)

Discussion in 'Community' started by VadersLaMent, Dec 25, 2019.

?

The Sequel Trilogy or the Prequel Trilogy?

1. Sequel Trilogy

43.8%
  2. Prequel Trilogy

56.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I DON'T WANNA PUT YOU ON IGNORE. STOP IT, EVAN, PLEASE.

Alpha-Red and DarthIntegral like this.
  2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    If you’re going to be a zealot, own it.

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I said it didn't make sense and it was stupid! What more do you want from me? :_|

4. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Okay. I found a loophole. Good job!

5. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    You said it Darth Guy. Couldn't agree more. The essential part: "if Lucas hadn't surrounded himself with yes-men".

But he did, and what we got was bad.

6. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  7. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    OK, that is another option and I don't think I've tried it. Because I went in knowing full well the outcome of the trilogy, generally speaking, it was a lot more fun (imho) to simply try to see things through Palpatine's POV, and following through all of his manipulations and all the traps he lays for Anakin, the Jedi, the Senate, etc. It's a lot of fun to see a master manipulator at the top of his game when you know more or less how everything's going to turn out at the end of the trilogy. For AOTC in particular, I think it's fun to think through and try to answer the question "who is really doing what - and to whom?" It's pretty telling that by the end of the movie, Yoda is smart enough to realize that this has not been a victory, and that "the shroud of the dark side has fallen", while Senator Organa quietly shows his frustration when he sees what Palpatine has become: a very powerful wartime commander-in-chief, with the largest army in the galaxy at his beck and call (yet it's obvious he does not yet fully process what an incredible power play Palpatine just pulled, working with Dooku as his puppet).

8. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    You like Cats.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  9. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    The AOTC plot is stupid.

Sarge and Darth__Lobot like this.
  10. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Trying to further derail the thread?? o_O

Cats is actually a pretty faithful adaptation of the original stage musical. The differences are fairly minimal. So yeah, I don't see anything wrong with it. I like pretty much all Broadway musicals and always have. [face_dancing]

11. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    It's soul suckingly awful like AOTC

SuperWatto likes this.
  12. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Why not watch something you enjoy, then? [face_batting]

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  13. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    The biggest problem I have with the PT is that they just didn't stick the landing. The PT is supposed to be the story of the tragic fall of a great jedi Knight.

Instead we get the story of a creepy guy was was kind of an a-hole who ended up turning to the dark side because he's a gullible moron who had some bad dreams. I didn't feel bad for Anakin - the guy was a complete idiot who believed a ridiculous story from some creepy old dude. I didn't feel bad for Padme either - nobody forced her to hook up with the creepy stalker guy.

The single biggest task the PT had was to make the viewer feel bad that Anakin turned... I suppose it worked for some people... but I was almost laughing at Anakin for being so incredibly stupid.

Basically he ended up being this idiot that only mattered because he has magic space blood.

If they had sold the fall better I think I would have been willing to overlook A LOT of the other nonsense in the films (kind of like ROTJ - the Ewoks are terrible, but they stuck the landing so well that I just kind of don't care that much - although the Ewoks really are terrible :))

As I said earlier - the only character I felt bad for was Obi-Wan. He was the only person with a clue and was basically like "WTF, dude Palpatine is obviously evil you damn moron" when he found out Anakin was so incredibly dumb. The only mistake he made was not finishing that loser off after he chopped his legs off.

I didn't even feel bad for Yoda - the guy was a damn quitter - failed to win one fight and gave up to go live in a swamp.

(To be fair though - I'm not even sure what landing the ST was trying to stick. Good dialogue and characters but the 3 movies basically had different stories lol.)

Alpha-Red, Sarge and SuperWatto like this.
  14. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Such a thing exists?

15. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Well it worked for me. [face_dunno]

Everyone's got their own personal preferences, of course - but personally I just don't understand why anyone would expect Shakespearean drama and Oscar-worthy performances from a popcorn movie. It just boggles my mind.
    I've said this a million times and yet someone or other always makes me repeat myself: go watch 1941's Adventures of Captain Marvel or 1953's Commando Cody: Sky Marshal of the Universe - or any of the old Flash Gordon serials. Seriously. These were quickies made to entertain the youngest viewers. That's kind of what Lucas was going for, more or less - yet so many of you keep wanting Star Wars to be something other than mostly kiddie fodder.
    Sure, he added a few things here and there that only grown-ups might pick up on - some Kurasawa references, some allegories and allusions about chasms, caves, and bodies of water.
    For the most part, though, there is an obvious lack of pretentious stuff and it's mostly aimed at children and/or the child inside of us.
    That's what makes SW work, imho. If you come at it from a place of adult cynicism and unwillingness to suspend disbelief, you will find its charms are considerably diminished.

Your focus determines your reality.

Iron_lord likes this.
  16. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    The excuses made for the poor dialogue and acting are honestly so ridiculous.

Sarge likes this.
  17. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I’ve actually wondered more than once if the PT really should hav been a TV show, or a least a miniseries. Maybe there was too much story for a film trilogy.

Darth__Lobot and Iron_lord like this.
  18. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Well yeah he made TCW.

19. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Maybe that's why we got TCW on the telly.
    I mean, Lucas did paint himself into a corner when he chose to make the OT episodes 4-6. [face_dunno]

Iron_lord likes this.
  20. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    YOU GOTTA WATCH ALL THESE FLASH ADAMS CEREALS THATS WUT GORGE LUKAS WUZ GOING FOR!!11!!

21. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    He was going for it so much he wanted other people to direct it.

22. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    You catch on pretty quickly!
    [​IMG]

Iron_lord likes this.
  23. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah, he made Clone Wars, but it was after Ep. III. And look at the way Clone Wars was received by the fanbase versus how the films were received. The Clone Wars film was somewhat polarizing, but right from the very first episode, the response of the fanbase to the the series was, “this kicks ass.”

Iron_lord likes this.
  24. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    It doesn't help that TPM was basically a waste of an entire film that barely advanced the overall plot. (ST had this problem too... and then TROS had way too much stuff to tie up)

25. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    I don't believe you actually think he was going for sub-par dialogue and acting. I just don't.

Sarge likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.