main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census Now that it's over which do you like better, the Sequel Trilogy or the Prequel Trilogy? (read: hell)

Discussion in 'Community' started by VadersLaMent, Dec 25, 2019.

?

The Sequel Trilogy or the Prequel Trilogy?

1. Sequel Trilogy

43.8%
  2. Prequel Trilogy

56.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Hey hey hey, lay off the best character of the PT, Ric Olie.

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  2. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    Crap, I just remembered that Anakin was already a psychopath mass murderer in AOTC..... LOL

So it's even worse than I remembered.

3. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Are you talking about the OT? [face_thinking]

Because the most toxic fanbase on the planet deserves to be taken so seriously, right? :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  4. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Here's a perfect analogy of how Abrams and Johnson treated the sequel trilogy:
    [​IMG]
    Did you seriously not pick up on any of the pot shots Abrams was taking at Johnson throughout TROS?

Though I will give Abrams credit for one thing: thanks to TROS, Robot Chicken is now canon.
    [​IMG]

Darth Nerdling likes this.
  5. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    I don't think he was going for it there either. Nice "look over there" though.

6. SithSense

Sep 29, 2002
    I'm reasonably sure that the only thought George Lucas put into "Sifo-Dyas" was "Hey, that sounds like 'Sidious'".

Same thing for Order 66. "Hey, what's an evil-sounding number? 666! But wait that's too on the nose..."

CT-867-5309, Sarge and Darth__Lobot like this.
  7. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Do you remember what Harrison Ford said about GL's dialogue during the OT days, or shall I refresh your memory? ;)

Iron_lord likes this.
  8. SithSense

Sep 29, 2002
    "Tell me, Anakin....do you like movies about gladiators?"

PCCViking and Sarge like this.
  9. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    What has this got to do with my point about the PT? The faults aren't intentional.

10. Darth__Lobot

Dec 29, 2015
    I prefer "sometimes campy" to 'terrible".

11. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Everything, it really isn't that much different from the OT. In fact, it's one of the things both OT and PT have in common that the ST doesn't really get right.

12. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    It's mainly just ANH anyway.

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  13. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Here's the thing with the prequels. Criticism always seemed to focus on the obvious stuff, like the terrible dialogue & acting, the farting & stepping in crap, Jar Jar, the cartoonish special effects etc. While people were busy going after all of that low hanging fruit the PT fans snuck in a narrative that went far too unchallenged. "At least the story is good. Sure there are flaws but Lucas is a master storyteller" etc. The truth is the storytelling is largely awful & doesn't hold up to the barest of scrutiny. People are saying the ST seems disjointed from one movie to the next. Some of those concerns are valid, but how about the prequels? A couple of random examples:

In TPM the Jedi are dispatched on a mission by the Chancellor. They were acting as his ambassadors. George forgets this & in the following movies makes a huge deal about the separation of authority between the Chancellor & the Jedi.

One of the biggest themes of TPM is that slavery = bad. Characters like Padme rightfully find it abhorrent. Not only is it completely amoral, we're told that it's illegal throughout the Republic. It's pretty much made clear that slavery is the worst thing ever. Cut to the next movie & the Jedi & Republic accept thousands of cloned people who've been purchased for money. Who've been manipulated so that they have no free-will & they'll follow orders to fight & die on command. In other words an army of slaves. Yet there's not a single word of dialogue, not even one comment about the ethical or legal implications of this. Was this movie written by the same person as the previous one? There's a dozen or more examples like this. The PT gets off very lightly for its dodgy story writing.

14. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Firstly, no I don't think it's the same level.

Secondly it wouldn't make it intentional, if it were.

Third, are you actually saying the STs dialogue not being bad enough is a fault?

Sarge likes this.
  15. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    You probably misunderstood two films.
    JJ Abrams had paid nothing but respect to Rian Johnson. They worked together. Johnson set it up; Abrams made the goals.
    You can see it in the choreography of Kylo Ren's fights in Rise Of Skywalker. There's a deliberate tribute to The Last Jedi.

You're one of those people that don't seem to get that Luke Skywalker had a redemption arc in The Last Jedi.

16. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    OK, let's take a look at what you're implying here. Why is it that you are under the (mistaken) impression there's anything wrong with the dialogue in the first 6 movies, instead of this being a problem exclusively in the ST?

17. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    The OT & PT should never be lumped into the same basket. They're nothing alike.

18. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    It's just my opinion.

The fact you have taken my fair criticism and gone in this ridiculous direction with it about films that I love is telling. The poor dialogue and acting isn't intentional. It's rather silly to suggest it is.

SuperWatto likes this.
  19. Darth__Lobot

Dec 29, 2015
    Mostly agree...although I'd argue there are some glimpses of the issues people would end up having with the PT in ROTJ.

Tonal consistency, stupid immersion breaking gags, etc.

Sarge and Darth Downunder like this.
  20. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    This has long been my theory too. Many of the problems in SW were born from RotJ. As much as I love that movie the issues are plain to see, esp considering how absent they are from the first two films. Infantile humour like burping frogs & Ewok silliness. Even some of the gripes people now have about the ST, like physically interactive ghosts. We went from old Ben appearing as a ghostly apparition in TESB to him walking on the ground, pushing tree branches aside & sitting on a log.

21. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    But why is that your opinion? Don't make a reference to what other people may or may not say, I just want to hear your personal opinion.

22. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Lucas wanted to break ground when it came to tech for film making.

he also desired the acting to be seventy years out of date.

you shouldn’t expect oscar winning performances in these films.

the acting is great, they have oscar winners in them.

if I ever get around to my dream of starting a cult, I know my first recruit.

SuperWatto likes this.
  23. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Apart from the fact it's completely besides my point, I don't feel like going into detail.

24. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Well, I can see you're not even willing to stand up for your opinions. At least I have the decency to try to keep the dialogue going. You claim something is supposedly "bad" yet you cannot possibly offer a single convincing reason why you consider it "bad" even though it's delightful to many of us, so I'm just going to take your silence on the matter for what it's worth. ;)

25. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011

What's our probelms I've already said I love the PT, but apparently, when I simply say that I don't think it was intentional that the films have bad dialogue and acting, which I think goes without saying, I have to jump through hoops for you? No I'm not the one who isn't being decent here. You're making yourself look like a cult member.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.