main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census Now that it's over which do you like better, the Sequel Trilogy or the Prequel Trilogy? (read: hell)

Discussion in 'Community' started by VadersLaMent, Dec 25, 2019.

?

The Sequel Trilogy or the Prequel Trilogy?

1. Sequel Trilogy

43.8%
  2. Prequel Trilogy

56.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Well, then, we've established we both love it, albeit in different ways, fair?

I love it for what it is, and I don't think the things you mention are "bad". I mean, to me it's all part of the package and a big part of what's charming about the SW movies in general, and I wouldn't have wanted them to be any other way. Since I don't agree there's anything majorly wrong with them, it follows it makes no sense to me that a "flaw" I don't recognize as such would be intentional or unintentional, because in my mind it doesn't really exist, right? I mean, that seems perfectly logical to me.

And please drop your "cult" reference, it's not even funny and you don't seem to recognize the real harm that actual cults do to people. Some folks have taken their own lives or harmed innocent people on account of cults, so I really don't think it's a joking matter.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  2. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    FWIW, Tina, I've had many an argument with Philosopher here, but I agree with him completely on this. There's no substitute for lack of direction.

DarthPhilosopher likes this.
  3. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    You're entitled to your opinion. I'm not trying convince you of anything! How much longer do you want to go in circles with this? We could keep it going until they release the next SW movie, but what will be gained? [face_dunno]

4. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    This has been apparent since my first post here.

If you don't think the criticism is valid (which is your right) why create some crazy explanation that it's actually all part of his plan?

5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Other people are silent.

SuperWatto likes this.
  6. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    A really, really easy argument against the idea that the performances were supposed to be bad is that the actors themselves thought they were bad. I mean, if that was really what they were going for a few of them would have said it.

Portman supposedly had trouble getting work for awhile... you don't think she would have spoken up?

7. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I haven't created a "crazy explanation" - I've just stated something that seems fairly self-evident to me based on years of research.

I'm not joking - I literally spent years looking for a lot of the stuff that Lucas would have watched as a kid, and I relished getting to watch it whenever it was available on home video or broadcast television or whatever. And in my mind, there's no doubt whatsoever that Lucas knew exactly what he was doing, that nothing about the PT is accidental, not by a long shot.

I can only state that as a personal belief, based on extensive research, and which in all my years of SW fandom has never been contradicted by Lucas. If you don't find the reasoning convincing, fine, I wasn't trying to convince you of anything,

Most of the stuff I love, as far as cinema goes, is stuff from the Golden Age of cinema. I absolutely adore the prequels because they are so referential to what kids were watching in the 40s and 50s. And I get that a lot of so-called fans don't truly appreciate those things. It's not my intention to change anyone's mind, so I don't see why anyone would get riled up simply because I express an honest opinion about SW.

Darth Nerdling likes this.
  8. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    The cult references refer to PT fans who more than any other refuse to admit to even the most glaring flaws in those movies. At times it does seem as if they’ve all passed around the Kool-Aid, probably in a commemorative Jango Fett cup.

SuperWatto likes this.
  9. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    And what about the cult of toxic SW fandom - the one that even drove some actors off the internet after enduring racist and misogynistic abuse?
    Liking SW a lot doesn't hurt anybody - it's a harmless hobby. The hate of some SW "fans" demonstrably has hurt innocent people.

Darth Nerdling and Darth__Lobot like this.
  10. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    we've breached the "so-called fans" line

it won't be long now, @tom. nightfall is upon us. jcc, it's been fun.

get the baseball draft refugees out - i'll stay behind and guard the camp and delete comms. if you don't hear from me within 10 days, please tell @dp4m i hate him.

DarthIntegral, SuperWatto and tom like this.
  11. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    [​IMG]

12. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    The acting and dialogue being intentionally terrible on Lucas’ part is damning on him, but you see it as a good thing, in your desperate defence of all things PT.

and I would like to give your opinions some actual weight; what films have you written/directed or whatever you did?

13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    IMO, there are some movies that are intentionally written and directed to look "bad." Kill Bill springs to mind, and some of Tim Burton's work, like Batman returns, seem like deliberate high camp that misses the mark for me. I think some directors forget that just because you make something bad on purpose, that doesn't automatically make it good.

Alpha-Red and Darth__Lobot like this.
  14. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    I'm familiar with the films you're referencing and I've heard all of this before. It's not only a clear after-the-fact excuse, but it's also contradicted by other things. Why, if he wanted it done this way, would he have sought other directors for the PT? Why hasn't he voiced the excuse himself? Why has he said he doesn't think he's good at writing or directing as much as 'showrunning'? Why when the actors brought it up why didn't he tell them the reason why he's writing it that way. He wrote it that way because he's not that good at modern dialogue. That's why TESB, ROTJ and the ST have better dialogue and acting.

Also spare me the so-called fan nonsense.

Diggy likes this.
  15. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Sequels because it was my childhood years.

Diggy likes this.
  16. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I think he's smart enough to know when to bring in someone to help with the dialogue, if the situation calls for it - he did that with American Graffiti. And obviously that one turned to be a humongous success. So, he had known since at least 1973 that this was an option if he wanted a certain kind of dialogue in the movie he was directing.

Also, you're spending an awful lot of time looking for counter-arguments to the counterpoint of your opinion, while at the same time refusing earlier to give an explanation for why you thought something isn't good (in your opinion).

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I'll watch "Drought Conditions" in your honor...

heels1785 likes this.
  18. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    On to the he-was-a-good-director-in-1972 line.

19. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    He never ceased to be a great director. ;)

20. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Yes, that post is worthy of the Seinfeld gif five times over. But then Most of her posts are.

SuperWatto likes this.
  21. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    If you mean he was never a good director, agreed.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  22. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    He did offer it to others to write and direct.

23. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Thank you for demonstrating my suspicion was right.

Yes, and those he offered it to didn't feel they had as good a feel for the material as he did. Which is probably right. Although I think most of that had to do with what he wanted to do in terms of digital technology.

24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I mean, generically Revenge of the Sith and The Phantom Menace are better than The Rise of Skywalker... but The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi are better than both of those, plus Attack of the Clones which is the worst. So the ST wins by default there...

By a sheer numbers game of preference:

ESB >= ANH > TFA > TLJ ----> ROTS > ROTJ --> TPM --> TROS > AOTC

... it's not really that close?

25. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    this is the most vigorous arguing the jcc has seen in years.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.