main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Do you think Jar Jar Binks is as annoying as fans actually make him out to be?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by DarthVist, Dec 24, 2019.

Tags:
?

Do you think Jar Jar Binks is as annoying as fans actually make him out to be?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    19.5%
  2. No

66 vote(s)
    80.5%
  1. DarthVist

DarthVist Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 20, 2019
    I never really been that annoyed by the character. So I always felt that the fans have exaggerated A LOT about how annoying he was in "The Phantom Menace".

2. insideguy

insideguy Jedi Padawan star 2

Dec 22, 2019
    Hehe. I dont know but I think in the end he was a cartoon character in a real world.

3. innocence and experience

innocence and experience Jedi Knight

Dec 23, 2016
    I can see why people would find him annoying. But it’s like everything else with a series like SW, the hatred is massively overblown and is like a parody of itself. Certainly not annoying enough to make the actor who played him feel suicidal.

I like him, I think he fits in well in The Phantom Menace although I couldn’t see him playing a role in the much darker Revenge of the Sith. He suits the more innocent and charming film.

4. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Absolutely not. Jar Jar jokes are corny af in 2019. He is a bit annoying at times, but I think it works because even our straight edge characters find him annoying. That contrast really humanizes Jar Jar imo. He has a good heart but he doesn't belong. That is endearing imo.

Plus he has funny moments. Love that cheeky smile he gives when Obi-Wan rudely yells "What's this?" [face_laugh]

5. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    I grew up liking Jar Jar as a kid and as an adult I still find him legitimately funny. As @Deliveranze points out above, there's a genuine pathos to his status as a permanent misfit which, to me, turns low comedy into high.

6. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    Jar Jar symbolized what many hated about the ROTJ-TPM trend: the CGI, the "kiddifying" of Star Wars, the selling out to merchandising. So he became a lightning rod.

My main problem with him in TPM was the gratuitous use of him. He didn't need to be so loudly in-your-face in that many scenes.

I liked him fine in AOTC - Lucas used him just the right amount and put the fandom hatred for him to clever use in making him the symbolic fall guy for handing Palpatine the keys to the kingdom.

And of course, he's all but non-existent in ROTS. I was looking forward to seeing his reaction to his little palos Ani turning into a Sith Lord and was disappointed we never got that.

I didn't mind him in TCW either - Jar Jar episodes are not my favorite episodes by any means but having a perpetual underdog that's always trying to be heroic and achieving little bits of it from time to time is pretty satisfying. I'd rather watch a Jar Jar episode than Obi-Wan vs. Grievous Iteration #50000 any day.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
  7. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Is he completely free of annoying qualities? Not to me.

Is it worse than most comic relief sidekicks? Absolutely not.

I also can’t help but like him more because I am sort of like him.

8. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    Hmmm . . . no, I don't think he is that annoying. There were moments when Jar Jar did annoy me. And there were times when I actually found him funny.

9. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Meesa like Jar Jar, he's muy muy bombad.

10. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
  11. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    The tone of TPM is supposed to be childish, so no, he's not out of place or a problem. Yes he's obnoxious, but that's the point of the character, to test Qui-gon's patience and empathy.

I can understand that people think his design is too garish, not cute enough, but again, that would kind of diminish the point of the character. When people complain that Lucas went too far with certain decisions in TPM, it is always a double edged sword. This was his most avant garde film along with SW77' imo, and if he didn't feel the freedom to go for extreme hamminess with Jar Jar, he probably wouldn't have made Darth Maul so purely demonic.

Even if you don't like how Jar Jar turned out, you have to admit he was a bold, uncompromising decision.

12. IHeartKenobi89

IHeartKenobi89 Force Ghost star 5

Nov 17, 2019
    I've never had a problem with Jar Jar, I've always found him to be funny and cool back when I was a snot nosed youngling. And I still like Jar Jar.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
  13. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    I like Jar-Jar, and I like how well he is integrated into the story. He is essential to the plot (the gungan army) and the story (symbiotic relatioships working together for mutual benefit).
    I don't like the two scatological moments.
    On the other hand, I LOVE how he reacts to the underwater adventures and his little moment while having lunch at Anakin's.

14. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    If anything, I like him more because of that, knowing that Lucas was just itching to start creating major characters who would not have been constrained by the limitations of pre-digital effects, which dictated everything had to be done practically somehow either with makeup or with puppetry. And also the kind of freedom that came with being able to move away from a typical humanoid face, where all main features are in a circular area on the front of the head. When you're not willing to do that, you get stuck with characters like Maz Kanata, which are a minimal variation on a standard human face, changing only size and color somewhat. I prefer to be challenged to imagine what less humanoid-like faces could look like in a very big universe.
    Same thing with characters who were not just normal bipeds, like Sebulba.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  15. ThisIsTheWay

ThisIsTheWay Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 24, 2019
    Jar Jar would have benefited from being reigned in a bit at times but he’s nowhere near as bad as some people claim he is .

16. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004
    I think many were just lazy to unpick his accent.

Nothing so wrong with JarJar that couldn’t be sorted with a little Ritalin.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  17. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    there's a lot of things i find annoying, and jar jar isn't one of them .
    actually the people that make such a big deal about him are probably the kind of negative, sarcastic, jaded people i find the most annoying.

18. Skywalker Family

Skywalker Family Jedi Master star 3

Mar 15, 2017
    I saw AOTC opening night and when Jar Jar appeared everyone laughed. It was a universal laugh like here he is lol. It was not hateful.

19. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Yes he is. In TPM he overpowers every scene he is in with the terrible humour or physical gags that are distracting. He was unprecedented for a Star Wars main character and I can understand the backlash against him. It just didn’t work for me.

20. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    The young 'uns almost always find him hilarious. And that's mostly who these movies are meant for, anyway. [face_thinking]

21. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    I definitely think that some fans oversell how "annoying" Jar Jar Banks is as a character. I could understand finding him annoying, but some people act as if he ruined Star Wars and I think that is just exaggerating. So, in that sense, I would say it's impossible for Jar Jar to be as annoying as some of his critics make him out to be.

To offer my personal opinion on Jar Jar, I loved Jar Jar as a child. He cracked me up consistently with his unique way of speaking, his capacity to always find trouble such as eating the food with his tongue in the Tatooine slave quarters and getting his tongue numb and stuck in the Podracer Anakin is building, and generally having hilarious antics throughout TPM. He also did end up being important to the plot in terms of first bringing the Jedi to the Gungans to get the needed transport to Theed and then leading Amidala to the Gungans to convince them to ally with her so the Gungan army can help defeat the Trade Federation and free Naboo. I thought Jar Jar in TPM does a good job showing that even beings who may seem "useless" on the surface can in fact serve a great purpose.

In real life, of course, Jar Jar would probably annoy me at least as much as he amused me, and that's why I do find it a nice touch that a character like Obi-Wan is clearly irked by him throughout the film ("Stay here and keep out of trouble" when they board the royal cruiser and then the question that is definitely a slap at Jar Jar about picking up another pathetic lifeform). It's obvious in-universe that Obi-Wan and Jar Jar's fellow Gungans experience irritation with him so to me that makes Jar Jar's character more believable as well. If nobody was made irritated or impatient in universe, that would've been less believable for me.

22. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    I definitely don’t think that the backlash against Jar Jar was in any way proportionate. That said, I can understand why some fans find the character to be so off-putting.

I think that Jar Jar came as a bit of a shock to viewers as he was far more unashamedly slapstick than the comic relief characters that had appeared in the original trilogy. Whilst Threepio can be bumbling, clumsy and prone to outbursts of terror, he always retains a certain dignity by virtue of his intelligence, usefulness and refined speech. Jar Jar, by contrast, could be seen as playing to the lowest common denominator.

I don’t personally have a problem with Jar Jar and I am glad that he is part of the prequel trilogy. I also think that we see him grow as a character and he shows us some courage, restraint and moral fibre.

23. Mindless Monster

Mindless Monster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 4, 2014
    It's odd. I was annoyed by him when I saw TPM in '99 at the age of 12, but now, at 32, I love him. Crazy how that works.

24. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    I never found the character as such annoying. To be honest I don't like the name, worst of all "Mr. Binks", I think used by Qui-Gon? Had they given him some "typical" SW name like Sebulba, Organa, Amidala, Sidious or Yoda (even though that is an actual Japanese surname; glad he's not called Tanaka or Yamamoto), I would have accepted him more. Besides, nobody ever says "Mr." in all SW. 3PO calls Luke "Sir Luke" or just "Sir", never "Mr. Skywalker"; others use titles "lord", "master" etc. "Mister" just sounds too "mundane" or Earth-like, especially combined with a name like "Binks". Well, those are just pet peeves, otherwise I have no problems with Jar-Jar.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  25. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    Jar Jar is never called Mr. Binks in any of his appearances, neighter the movies nor the TV Show or Comics or Books.