main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    We went to my mother in laws for a long weekend (came back on the 25th) and it was cold for south Florida while we were there. And then we got back to NYC and it was warm for Christmas day. My body is so confused! :p

2. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    That is odd.

I'm currently bored out of my flipping mind and my mother's boyfriend is driving me crazy (he's better than my former-step-father so I shouldn't complain BUT DAMMIT I DONT WANT TO LISTEN TO TIRADES ABOUT TRUMP WHEN MY MOTHER AND I ARE TRYING TO DO A PUZZLE AND LISTEN TO A CHRISTMAS CAROL CHRISTMAS NIGHT). He's also one of those people who feels the need to comment ON EVERYTHING and in general just won't stop talking. I legitimately thought about changing my flights, but even with my willingness to pay extra, there's nothing (I still might call in the morning and see if they ave anything not listed online because it's a small airline). My sister royally screwed my travel plans when she decided she wasn't going to drive up at all, forcing me to get a flight back.

I'm mostly just crabby because it is so cold in this house it's screwing with my blood sugar. Every night I've been here, my blood sugar has dropped down below 2.5 (normal range is between 4.0-7.0) and I'm just miserable.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  3. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    :(. That’s a miserable conundrum. It’s a lot of why I politely schedule things on the same night as family things so yeah! I can be there until 7, but gosh, I need to get back in time for that thing at 9. I’m studiously anti-social when it comes to my parents. Today, I had to be in close proximity to my mother for three straight hours and wanted to make an excuse and leave, but was there for church stuff and couldn’t.

4. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    My family is boring yet exhausting to be around, if that makes any sense. They don't do much in terms of leaving the house for entertainment/leisure (but that's mostly because there's not much to do in town and when it's nearing -17 C going to visit other people needs quite a bit of motivation). But some personalities just drain my tank (I'm an introvert) sooo much quicker than others... and my mother's boyfriend is one of those (and he interrupts me which makes me so mad).

That, on top of already not feeling well and being tired and uncomfortable just makes me regret not originally getting an earlier flight home (I was but everything before the 30th was so expensive, though now I regret not just paying for it).

5. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    On Tuesday, I had a run-in with a person at work who is making my environment hostile because she’s territorial and not terribly bright. She also sometimes tries to do my job and screws it up every time. So when she messaged me about how I shouldn’t have been doing the task assigned to me by my boss at all because it helped her team and she didn’t like one thing I did, I said to take it up with my boss and that I’d appreciate her also remembering to correct one mistake I had found five minutes before that I had to correct. It’s one she’s been told to stop making many times by the department head and I’m told to politely remind her when she does it. She flipped out because I know dang well she’s NEVER made that mistake and I shouldn’t be mouthing off to a supervisor. So I apologized for nothing to get her to stop frothing at me, then copied the whole thing to my boss in case the other person tries to escalate it. My boss was out of the office until today, so I spent three days of this week convinced I was getting fired because this is by far not the first time I’ve been harassed by this person and she’s been doing stuff like this since the day when I overheard her say “I’d rather let a hundred dirty Mexicans die than give disability benefits to someone other than a veteran. Thousands of veterans are dying every day because welfare queens all speak Spanish.” She has a voice that is frequently overheard from another row on my phone calls and I reported this comment to the department head, saying that apart from it being wildly inappropriate, what would people think in overhearing this sort of thing on a phone call to their disability law firm? This person has a number of reasons for rubbing me the wrong way and I’ll be darned if she gets me disciplined for it.

6. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Warning: venting ahead.

Ugh. Tonight punctuates the reason I need to get out of my dad's house and into a place of my own. My dad came home this afternoon with a sweeper, the little mechanical kind that you push across the floor and it sweeps up crumbs and whatnot, and hands it to me saying it's for my apartment. Later this evening, I approached him and politely asked that he wait on future purchases for the apartment until after move-in day, both because I'm trying to reduce the amount of stuff that I have to carry with me to move in and because I literally have nowhere to store stuff specifically for the apartment until then, so it's just going to be in the way for the next two weeks. My intention is to move with only my existing belongings, and then go shopping the next day for the essentials that I need for the apartment, so I have less to move and less to store until then.

My dad blew up at me over being ungrateful for a gift, despite me saying upfront that I appreciated it (which is a lie for the sake of politeness; more on that in a minute) and ranted about me making all kinds of demands of him (nope) and told me that he'll never buy anything else for me again (I don't believe that). I calmly said something about "you don't have to jump all over me for a simple request" and he yelled back accusing me of jumping all over him.

This is typical of our relationship. Anytime there is any kind of a disagreement between us, he twists it around to somehow make it my fault and refuses to accept any amount of blame for anything between us. This has been going on for years. We used to have a healthy relationship many years ago, but over the past 10 years or so it has gradually grown more and more toxic until I've reached the point where I can barely tolerate him and go to great lengths to avoid him.

It also shows in cleanliness, particularly in the kitchen; I've literally been unable to eat at home for a couple of years now because he lets the kitchen stay in a filthy, unsanitary state such that I don't trust anything prepared at home to be safe to eat. The only foods I will eat at home are those that I can eat directly out of the factory container with no preparation, and every once in a while I'll microwave a can of chili when I'm desperate for something hot late at night. Aside from those, I spend $500 to $600 per month eating out because that's the only way I can get a sanitary meal. I'd consider cleaning the kitchen myself, but it's a lengthy job and the last time I tried to do some cleaning he yelled at me and complained that "nothing I do is ever good enough for you" (which is another refrain he likes to throw at me anytime I correct him on anything or try to clean on "his" territory (which is everything outside my bedroom)). I'd confront him about this, but I don't want the shouting match that would result.

Not to mention that he's a complete Trump supporter and will believe literally anything any conservative source puts out, even the fake news, and continually drives this bull**** into me. He's racist, homophobic, transphobic, and xenophobic and I'm tired of listening to it. He would completely lose his mind if I ever told him that I'm asexual and aromantic. (Fortunately, he seems to be satisfied for now with my "decision to stay single" as I've told him.)

Basically, I'm fed up with him and want to be rid of him. I move into my apartment two weeks from today and it's going to be the longest two weeks of my life. I'm trying to find friends to help move so I don't have to rely on my dad to help, because if I let my dad help, I guarantee that he'll force everything to be done exclusively his way, which is almost always the complete opposite of the way I want to do things. I'm considering cutting my dad out of my life completely after I get settled in and am positive I didn't leave anything behind.

(Oh, and that "lie for the sake of politeness"? I don't even want the sweeper. I never asked for it. I've used those things in the past and hate them. I intend to get a small vacuum cleaner, and that is superior to a sweeper like this in all respects to me. So not only is it something I'm going to trip over for the next two weeks and something extra I have to carry on move-in day, but I'm also going to be tripping over it in the apartment until I find a quiet way to get rid of it without letting my dad know.)

7. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I'm sorry you've been dealing with that JC (and as a side note, those sweepers are kinda useless particularly if you are planning on getting a vacuum, and I completely agree with you on trying to move the least amount of stuff as possible). At least the end is nearly in sight. He sounds a lot like my former step-dad who LOVED to (try to) gaslight to manipulate people (he wasn't very good at it but calling him out just led to denial). Anyways, I was asked today if I had any contact with him and I haven't in over a year. Of course, being just my step-father, it was easy to just cut him out completely and I honestly don't regret it one bit. My mental health has improved SOOOOOO much.

On a much smaller scale, my mom's boyfriend was driving me crazy again today. A friend of mine who moved about the same time I did but who is back for the holidays was also being driven crazy by her in-laws, so I borrowed my mother's car and my friend and I just went to the mall foodcourt and sat and talked for a few hours.

I've also managed to get to the point where when my mom's boyfriend starts to talk about his nonsense (which is ALL THE DAMN TIME), my brain just goes off into la-la-land and I start thinking of the brainless mush I'm going to write when I get home.

All I want to do when I go home on the 30th is crawl into an introvert cave. Unfortunately I have plans for new years and late that weekend so hopefully I can recover quick.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
    Lady_Misty and jcgoble3 like this.
  8. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I’m sorry to hear about this kind of relationship. I’m not ace or aro. I’m demisexual and I can’t talk to my family about it. When I was in love with my ex, they believed I was faking it to hurt my family because I didn’t act like a “normal person in love.” They kept saying I was just addicted to the idea that someone loved me and was incapable of actually feeling love. These days, I’m the only one not married and announcing the next grandchild and I’m being asked on a regular basis WHY DIDN’T I STAY LONG ENOUGH TO HAVE KIDS? They think I’m single because all I wanted was to check being in love off of some to-do list and think that I should have just done another one of those tasks so I wouldn’t be lonely AND single.

I’ve got a crush on a guy named Paul. Tall, strong-jawed, soft spoken. But I’m attracted to him because he makes me laugh without meaning to and is kind to everyone and once came to check on me on the busiest weekend of the year because he knew that I wouldn’t have time to do self-care. Oh. And he’s a huge classical music fan and is in the choir I’m accompanist for.

That is my version of like as a demi—I have this massive interest in a guy and it has nothing to do with how cute he is (though he really is). But if I tell my parents that I’m demisexual, they’ll hear “Kathryn’s gay and refuses to get married and that explains why she wasn’t really in love with John and why she doesn’t have kids.” The real story behind what I went through is too private for them to know and in fact, I just told my sister after 15 years and have sworn her to secrecy. My roommate doesn’t know, though our mutual best friend does.

I grew up with a person who I finally understood once he was diagnosed with Narcissistic Personality Disorder. He has many of the hallmarks you describe, especially the phobias. I’m sorry.

On the other hand, I asked Paul to go with me on a double date with my friend and he said yes.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    That situation sounds ghastly. But I am glad there is an exit strategy. And you should transform the sweeper into DJ Roomba.

jcgoble3 and DarthIshtar like this.
  10. KenobisGirl

KenobisGirl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 10, 2001
    Hi friends, been about 15 years since I was last reading SW fanfic, but have found myself intensely addicted again. I love the new films and new characters, but I will always only be an Obi/Qui fanfic kinda girl. Anyone still reading/writing JA fanfic? I found some of my fics from 2001 and about died from embarrassment. Finding some of my old favorite authors and fics has made me immensely happy and nostalgic. Anyone playing Jedi Fallen Order at the moment? Wow, what a freaking game!! Anyway, not sure if anyone here will remember me but *waves* :D

Findswoman , DarthIshtar and jcgoble3 like this.
  11. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I know your name, @KenobisGirl. Welcome back. I’m trying to get more steady about writing fanfic, but got very distracted by writing original stuff. I know what you mean. I read a fanfic I wrote in 2003, which was later rewritten in 2005. 2003 version was laughable.

I also keep my 1996 Mary Sue series up on the internet because when I teach at schools or conferences, people don’t believe that I started out as someone who gave her character a new superpower and hidden lineage with every single chapter. So I show them how to find my crap as well as my really good stuff. Especially if they’re from the group that says “when did you stop writing fanfic and write your own stuff?” I tell them what fanfics I’m still writing and what I’m planning on doing next to illustrate that the two can peaceably coexist.

Gamiel likes this.
  12. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Why do I cry at different points every time I see Episode 9? It’s really confusing. Also, Kateydidnt was telling me all her responses to it and I just face palmed and yelled at her to write this one fanfic. I couldn’t help myself, really.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  13. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Happy New Year all!

JC- I'm glad you are getting out of that situation because it sounds terrible!

Welcome back @KenobisGirl! We're always happy to see oldbies come back!

Ish - I cried at different points as well. I think sometimes knowing something is about to happen makes you more apt to cry than when taken by surprise. For example , every time we see Les Miserables I start crying earlier. The last time we saw it, when the overture started, dp leaned over to me and asked if I was crying yet. I almost was. LOL.

14. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    When I saw Les mis in theaters, I cried at I Dreamed A Dream, which I absolutely did not expect. And cried at Empty Chairs at Empty Tables, which never happens. I always cry at the epilogue. That was awkward when I was concertmistress for a production and was sitting there and weeping at the “it is the music of the people who are climbing to the light” while trying to play for another several minutes of pretty epic music.

There’s a part of 9 that just sticks with me and I keep thinking about it and I think anticipating that kept me aware of foreshadowing that was really affecting.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  15. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    Oh yes, I do, to some extent. Which means that I've been writing some fics from that era, and reading...tons. I'm reading whatever I can find related to Obi-Wan that is written in a decent way and not too much AU inspired. I guess you will find @devilinthedetails in the same category. ;)

16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What's a JA fanfic?

17. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    JA = Jedi Apprentice, a series of 20 children's chapter books exploring a teenage Obi-Wan's apprenticeship to Qui-Gon written by (except for book 1) Jude Watson

Gamiel likes this.
  18. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Love many of the books and need to read the rest. I never really FanFiced in that universe.

19. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    So I just realized that I haven’t updated anyone about those injured in the gas explosion in my hometown: all the firefighters have recovered and back home, the maintenance man was improving and for awhile was in good condition but has been downgraded to poor. He is an older man and was originally in critical condition with severe burns over most of his body.

In other news had a great Christmas and now that I’m an adult I understand why Dumbledore said that he wanted woolen socks for Christmas instead of books because there is nothing like getting three pairs of thermal socks when the floors are cold.

We do not have a furnace or cold water upstairs yet but we have cleared out a majority of the garage to store our stuff for the work that needs to be done and if everything goes as planned we should have cold water upstairs next week and heat in most of the downstairs in about two weeks barring any delays.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Gamiel likes this.
  20. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    A friend of mine from the Belmont Ward back home had an accident last year. She was opening the door of a cabin they often went to out in Utah when she smelled something. She told her kids to get back in the car and was closing the door when the house had a massive gas explosion. She was trapped in the fire and her recovery and all the surgeries she’s been through have been amazing to follow. I hope things improve for those in that explosion you mentioned.

And my sister heard me quote dumbledore about socks and has given me socks for Christmas every year since.

Gamiel and Lady_Misty like this.
  21. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Happy New Year, all! 2020 is the year to cut the weight of toxicity.

edit: life is obscenely short and you don’t have the time to waste on people whose agenda is to drag you to the sludgy bottom of their toxic sea.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  22. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    So... I guess they never fixed the truncation issue from the move years ago. That is sad and upsetting. Was hoping to reread Dark Mirror again. :(

Lady_Misty likes this.
  23. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    So this isn't the place to discuss fanfic (and we don't talk about the truncation issue. ever.) but have you asked in the Looking for Fics thread? someone MIGHT have a saved copy or know of another website you might be able to find it on.

Happy New Year everyone! I've been a bit aloof. Right before I left my mother's we had a bit of family drama [my grandmother was "dying" (again) so a bunch of family rushed to town and I almost canceled my flight... but she was fine]. and yeah, there was just a lot of personalities I had to put up with. But I made it out and made it home and it's kinda been a weird week.

But today I got to try sit-skiing! It was a ton of fun! I basically had 6 volunteer firefighters help me ski. 4 basically made sure no one got in my way and the other two taught me how to ski.

Gamiel, jcgoble3 and DarthIshtar like this.
  24. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    It’s frustrating, I know. Though the archive.org system can often help.

So, two days ago, I only had a double date to look forward to for this next week. Then yesterday, I got invited to the Bernadette Peters concert on Saturday. Then today, a friend texted to see if I would like to come see Itzhak Perlman play the Beethoven violin concerto on Thursday. Both of these are concerts that I had unsuccessfully tried to get tickets for. And then, the CEO called for a board meeting on Friday night. But that’s less exciting.

25. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    And I am not discussing fanfics, simply stating an observation nor am I looking for the story. I am well aware that it is lost due to the truncation issue and no one but the author has a copy, and said author hasn't been heard from for nearly 15+ years. But if I am not allowed to make an observation after being gone for nearly a decade then... well... There is always Ao3 and FF.N to share my stuff with if this is the attitude here now.

I looked for it a few years ago when I tried to come back to the JCF. It has about a 1/3rd of the story archived. The beginning and the end. The middle is missing.