main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RJ Trilogy The Rian Johnson Trilogy

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Darth Chiznuk , Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    No, nothing official regarding RJ (or not yet, anyway). There was just the official confirmation that B&W (GOT) were moving on and not doing their SW movies.

2. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    There was also that planning summit that those guys, RJ and KK apparently had after celebration to map out what’s next.

3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Right, that was when they (B&W) were officially still on board.

4. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    I saw Knives Out over Christmas week and enjoyed it. In fact, the other two people I saw it with enjoyed it as well. Rian did a good job in the mystery genre. This film upheld that he is a good independent director.

However, my criticism is that Rian's characters were slanted too much in one direction rather than portraying broader character dimensions. Rian tries too hard to give the characters a certain type of personality. We are left with a quick-and dirty perception of the character rather than an authentic feeling that the actor has truly rounded out the character. Rian tries too hard to present a dysfunctional group of individuals and then chokes off character development. There was also a believability problem in the way the story progressed. My criticisms of The Last Jedi unfortunately carried over to Knives Out.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
  5. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I haven’t seen the movie yet, so it’s possible I may end up agreeing with you in this case, but generally speaking I don’t like it when too much time is spent on getting to know who a character is (they aren’t real people, so even the phrasing is problematic) and not enough time is spent moving the story forward.

6. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    Yeah I saw knives out I was shocked at how much I liked this movie because that’s how bad TLJ was in my eyes, now I think knives out shows me why he shouldn’t do another Star Wars movie, this movie was very modern and fit our current time period, Star Wars should feel timeless and have a certain tone, I don’t think the character arcs made sense in the last Jedi and the film was to ambiguous in some points I think he should stick to original works and leave Star Wars who can feel the world and feeling of Star Wars better imo.

2Cleva likes this.
  7. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    This should be a no brainer decision. Rian is the only person so far in the Disney era that was able to to finish a film with no drama about reshoots, or not seeing eye to eye with Lucasfilm. Whether you like or dislike TLJ, it is undeniable that it is at least a coherent film, which can't be said about the others except maybe TFA. He is an absolute top talent on the market right now, and Disney would be foolish not to let him explore his own time period with his own characters.

8. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    [​IMG]

9. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Yet, you are using a GIF from a Rian Johnson film! His power!

10. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    it has its uses now lol. It is a horrible line for Luke in a Star Wars film though.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    ladygrey45 and 2Cleva like this.
  11. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    Why is it a bad line?

Mostly Handless and El_Machete12 like this.
  12. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I like that line from Luke, not to make this about TLJ

13. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I'm giving you all a New Year's resolution: you're going to stop regurgitating the same tired arguments about TLJ in non-relevant threads. You're welcome.

14. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015
    Anyways Disney should get someone else besides Rian

15. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Whatever it is I just want confirmation of something the fact that they haven’t said openly he has left shows that likely whatever is happening he is still involved.

16. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015
    I think we’re getting info on the next film the 2022 one this month if it is rian I don’t want him to fail I obvi want it to be good but it makes me nervous it’s really hard to say I think he’s good with original stories like his own. But I still say like he doesn’t have the right feel for Star Wars. I hope they give us a lil tiny tiny nugget of what it’s about.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  17. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    As do I and for your sake I hope you like whatever he makes

18. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015
    If he’s still making it that is, I don’t know it’s hard to say where they will go.

19. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Please LFL, give us some news this month !

20. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    So hypothetically Johnson is sort of in the best position planning wise to do SW22 right?

If he has spent parts of the two year gap to map out a story or treatment or what have you then he should be your front runner. He obviously spent a lot of time focused on Knives Out but he had those meetings with KK, he said he was working on a script etc.

I’m really hopeful we get an announcement this month on who will be up next. I’ve got my fingers crossed for Johnson but if not keen to see who gets a crack.

El_Machete12 and Demon4x4 like this.
  21. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I agree with everything you said except for the other nonTFA Star Wars films being incoherent

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  22. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018

Kinda tending to think it might even be the one-off Feige thing coming next, if I'd have to guess. Sounds like Rian's thing's going to be an ongoing thing, trilogy or otherwise, they might want to separate the "narrative" movies a bit with more of a one-and-done in between.

Still, it'd be cool to get this nailed down sometime soon with some official, irrefutable news of "Rian's movie, this specific _____ date, this DP and these producers, starts shooting ______ ." It still wouldn't settle it for the people not wanting to hear it, but at least it'd be more concrete for everyone else.

23. Marathonjedi77

Marathonjedi77 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 2, 2012
    If Lucasfilm wants to continue the trend downwards proceed with Rian.

Jedi Daniel, 2Cleva and DarthFixxxer like this.
  24. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    91% RT % 85% Metacritic isn't "down" from the OT, certainly not the PT.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  25. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I recently saw Knives Out and loved it. I'm also a big fan of Brick and Looper and yet I don't like TLJ. Considering I like most of RJ's work I guess in theory I should think that there's a chance that his new trilogy could be good but I have such a problem with TLJ that it's hard to imagine that RJ can make a Star Wars movie that I would like.

ladygrey45 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.