main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST POLL: Rate/Rank/Compare The ST Films

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Glitterstimm, Dec 24, 2019.

?

What's Your Favorite ST Film? - Poll

1. The Rise of Skywalker

109 vote(s)
    29.7%
  2. The Last Jedi

115 vote(s)
    31.3%
  3. The Force Awakens

127 vote(s)
    34.6%
  4. I like them all equally!

16 vote(s)
    4.4%
  1. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    Updated ranking for me (decided I like TFA just a tad better than TRoS now):

GREAT
    1.SW77 (10/10)
    2.TESB (10/10)

GOOD
    3.RotJ (9/10)
    4.Solo (9/10)

FINE
    5.TFA (8/10)
    6.TRoS (8/10)
    7.RotS (7/10)
    8.TPM (6/10)
    9.R1 (6/10)
    10.TLJ (6/10)

BAD
    11.AotC (5/10)

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  2. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    1. TROS
    2. TFA
    3. TLJ

Maybe an obvious choice from me.
    I'm boring.

3. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    1. The Force Awakens | 3/10
    2. The Last Jedi | 3/10
    3. The Rise of Skywalker | 2/10

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
  5. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    TFA gave us BB-8.
    TLJ gave us porgs.
    TROS gave us Babu Frik.

I see this trilogy as nothing less than an unequivocal win.

6. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    TFA is the best ST film by a mile to me. Nothing in the ST comes close to being as engaging or character-driven as Act I of TFA.

TLJ is a miserable, boring movie imo, and RoS is Transformers in the gffa.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
  7. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    TFA - 7/10
    A fine fun well made movie but there's really nothing original in it and the decision to make it a reboot New Hope copy was really dumb and put this trilogy in a bad spot from the get go.

TLJ - 2/10
    They threw out everything from TFA and didn't leave anything for TROS. The whole movie just feels like one step forward, 10 steps back. Luke's story is too depressing. I I think him going to murder Ben in his sleep was too far and Luke should've stayed in the fight and continued to fight but instead he just dies because he's tired :(. Finn's and Poe's plots are downright horrible and ultimately pointless. All the original characters in this movie Rose, Holdo and DJ compete with Jar Jar for the worst character in Star Wars.

TROS - 4/10
    I guess it's kind of fun to watch if you turn your brain off and the Sith lore is kind of cool but the plot of this movie is just super dumb. There are many convinces and the maguffin has like 10 layers. TROS is 2 movies condensed into 2 hours, it goes so fast that you don't have time to take things in such as Rey's parentage. The movie feels like J.J is desperately trying to fix Star Wars after the damage TLJ did but ultimately it fails. It fails to connect the saga, there are some really obvious places some prequel stuff could be and J.J fails to deliver. It fails to stick the landing of the saga with an anticlimactic lightsaber, space and Palpatine battle and an ending which is worse than the previous trilogy's one.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    Mange likes this.
  8. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Sooner or later I should start including the Mandalorian in my rankings.
    Anyway, I will go with

TFA
    TLJ
    TROS

9. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    I think I’m starting to like TRoS better than TFA again... TFA is better-made, but TRoS has more moments that I like. It’s hard to rank them! Guess I need to see TRoS a few more times to really be sure.

10. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    TFA
    TROS

TLJ

rocknroll41 likes this.
  11. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    The Last Jedi

The only sequel film to capture the star wars mythology. The bandwagon hate and the term "subversion" dont make any sense to me. Lukes portrayal is very fitting for the character, unless you want more fan fiction type stuff.

The Force Awakens

Harrison Ford puts in a good performance. The film could have benefitted from better direction.

The Rise of Skywalker

It has a lot of that "im going to speak so fast, never shut up, finish your sentence as we are all one character, because i have to run and take a crap" JJ Abrams style of dualogue.

Anthony Daniels gives a good effort.

I dont recall a musical score in this one

Oh, and Ray is all of the jedi.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  12. n8storm

n8storm Jedi Master star 1

May 24, 2005
    Right now, I'd put ROTS slightly ahead of The Force Awakens. That could change at some point. TLJ is my least favorite SW movie. Besides AOTC, I'd rate all OT and PT movies ahead of the ST movies, though.

13. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    The sequels are a misfire. Slapdash, haphazard, schizophrenic. No overarching vision whatsoever and no compelling premise.
    TROS is the clear winner despite its many, many faults due to the fact that it was by far the least boring and most fun as a popcorn flick.
    TLJ is a distant second because 50% of the movie is ponderous, boring, and unnecessary. But Rian also gave us an interesting arc for Luke, a more intriguing Rey and Kylo than what we'd seen in TFA, killed off Snoke who's a bargain bin Palpatine. He took a crappy premise and tried to do something interesting with it. Kudos to him.

TFA is easily the worst of the three. It was a commercially savvy, creatively bankrupt rehash of the more iconic ANH. It completely devalued the events of the OT by regurgitating the same conflict, merely changing certain names and titles. It set up the worst plot points of the trilogy: Luke a reclusive failure, the new Jedi order wiped out off screen, Han Solo being back where he was in ANH, the New Republic punted off-screen, etc.

PendragonM likes this.
  14. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    TLJ 9.8/10
    TFA 7.7/10
    TROS 6.7/10

15. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    I'm going for a third viewing Saturday...
    I think I will still like it most of the ST after.

Agreed TFA is better made... but I love TROS.
    There are too many moments I like in it to list.

It's pretty erratic and uneven, but it is exciting to watch and has a lot of little nods to the GFFA lore.

I wish they included Anakin more, but Imo there is some deeper relevance in ROS regarding the rest if the series. Just have to look for it.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  16. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    1 - The Last Jedi - The main trio is split, which is good, after seeing them hug way, way too much in TROS. Luke joins the Force, Snoke dies, but there are children Force-users who can become new Jedi.

2 - The Rise of Skywalker - finally some lore, but much too late in the trilogy. Way too much fan service, contrivances and unnecessary detours. Too much retconing and revisiting of some old places.

3 - The Force Awakens - by far the worst movie in the saga. There are some scenes that are actually fun, but the characters are two-dimensional, the writing is contrived, some OT references are unbelievable and it lacks soul, residual desire to see what comes next. It's so self-referential in the attempt to be a SW that it fails to capture the creator's essence.

17. jediela83

jediela83 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 24, 2015
    TFA 6
    TROS 5
    TLJ 4
    As you can tell I don't like the ST much. It was very difficult to choose whether I disliked TROS or TLJ the most.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

18. moonjump05

moonjump05 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 14, 2013
    ST:

1. The Last Jedi. Easily the best of the sequel trilogy, it delves into the lore and mythology of the SW galaxy. The characters feel real and it has probably the best scene (Snokes throne room) of any of the movies. 10/10

2. The Force Awakens. An acceptable starting point if a bit derivative. 7/10

3. The Rise of Skywalker. Trash except for reylo. 3/10

My ranking overall: TLJ>RotS>ESB>AotC>>RotJ>ANH>TPM>TFA>>>TRoS

19. RDeckard

RDeckard Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    VIII
    VII
    IX

There's a lot of hate for 8, but when that movie is on, it's the only one of the three that really tries anything unique or dangerous. Plus, the democratization of the force is an amazing angle no other film has really touched. Part of what I disliked about IX is it basically set this aside.

The idea that Rey's parents were no one of consequence is far more compelling then her being a Palpatine.

The Raddinator likes this.
  20. Fin McCool

Fin McCool Jedi Master star 4

Apr 18, 2015
    IMHO, the first paragraph is 100% on the money. I’m more muted as to the rest.

21. Strategize

Strategize Jedi Master star 3

Dec 18, 2017
    TLJ
    TROS
    TFA

I don't think TLJ is perfect by any means. But artistically and depth wise I think it's leagues beyond the other two. I feel like Rian could potentially make a masterpiece SW movie, TLJ isn't it though. He needs to get away from the saga and the rebels vs empire stock plot to really challenge the mind.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    dogprivilege likes this.
  22. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    1. TLJ -10
    2. TROS - 9
    3. TFA - 8

I love the flow of the ST and the character arcs. I feel like each film fits together really well. The TFA sets things up. TLJ knocks things down. TROS wraps things up. A solid trilogy.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    whostheBossk and Ricardo Funes like this.
  23. Dr_Cthulhu

Dr_Cthulhu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2015
    The Rise of Skywalker
    The Force Awakens

The Last Jedi

(In future viewings of the Sequel Trilogy, I plan to skip The Last Jedi.)

Darth Smurf likes this.
  24. Jediking97

Jediking97 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 24, 2018
    Five Stars:
    The Phantom Menace
    Attack of the Clones
    Revenge of the Sith
    A New Hope
    The Empire Strikes Back
    Return of the Jedi
    The Force Awakens
    The Last Jedi
    The Rise of Skywalker (I haven't seen it yet but I'm sure I'll like it)

Four Stars:
    Clone Wars (2003-2005)
    Solo
    Rogue One
    The Mandalorian

Three Stars:
    The Clone Wars (2008-2020)
    Rebels

Two Stars:
    The Battle for Endor
    Caravan of Courage

One Star:
    The Clone Wars (2008 movie)
    The Holiday Special
    Resistance

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    Darth PJ, HevyDevy and Ricardo Funes like this.
  25. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    TLJ
    TFA
    RoS

I'm sure RoS is doing well via recency bias. Another poll in a year would see TLJ take its rightful place at the top.