main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey Skywalker/Daisy Ridley Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

1. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    New Forum, new thread! This is the new catch-all thread for discussion of the character, and sometimes the actor who played her.

[​IMG]

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. jimtalkbox

jimtalkbox Jedi Master star 1

Dec 22, 2015
    Rey in TFA = Quickly became a character I really liked and was intrigued by.

Rey in TLJ and ROS = Uuuuuhhhhhh, not so much.

3. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I’d still say the best actual characterization for her is in TFA, and that’s the story that best exploited Ridley’s skills as an actress, and their’s a simple but empathetic writing to the character that makes her far easier to connect with there than in the other two films.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    Sadie Erso, Shadao, ImpKnight and 5 others like this.
  4. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Rey was a blank canvas early on and that’s often Star Wars fans favorite time for new characters. In part because some can project their own backstories and futures onto them but, for me, as Rey’s dark side interest grew following her mind probe of Kylo Ren/Ben and she continued to let the dark side in more and more and learn the truth of her dark family history she took off as a character of true intrigue. I loved her conflict by the end as one part of her was only interested in Ben Solo and doing what she get was right for the Jedi and the Skywalkers and the other only interested in ending Kylo Ren, and later, her grandfather for ending her parents lives. With still a third part of her worried she might succumb to it all.

5. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

ForceGhostPrincessLeia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 22, 2018
    Rey started out as a role model, and ended up as a pro-abuse psa. It's such a shame, because DR is really talented.

Jango723, Shadao, ImpKnight and 10 others like this.
  6. Doom_Buggy

Doom_Buggy Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 2, 2016
    I think a lot of people saw Rey in TFA the way someone might look at a beautifully wrapped present under the Xmas tree. They could imagine whatever they wanted in there because they had no idea what it was. She was a big mystery & people just assigned whatever they wanted to her. Expectations and all.

7. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    A worthy foil for the best character in this trilogy.

RetropME and Cave of Erised like this.
  8. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Thy *did* get some actual substance in TFA.

She had a spine, was a rough and tumble survivor with a degree of altruism she knew wasn’t necessarily beneficial to her pragmatism, and had a more believable battle with her denial about being abandoned by her parents.

And she, y’know, reacted like a *gasp* human being when she found a friend that was willing to come back for her when she was convinced no one else would, and when she reacted with righteous anger towards Kylo for all the things he did to her.

Her losing her spine and being suddenly a prop for Kylo is all on TLJ and TROS, and since that required removing her previously established degree of passion and intelligence from TFA, it screwed her character up, and stuck Ridley trying to sell an inhuman caricature for two films in a row.

Jango723, leopardhk47, Shadao and 9 others like this.
  9. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    a character challenged by choices, who confronted her past. The last Jedi choose her friends and mentors as family and not her birthright.

Ender_and_Bean likes this.
  10. reyvision

reyvision Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2017
    I really liked Rey in TFA. TLJ Rey is... not a character I enjoy much, but to be fair: I don't like anyone in TLJ. I went back to enjoying Rey in TROS, even with things I had issues with, as it's easy for headcanon to fix issues I had. I've already read fic that explored issues I had and answered them well.

ImpKnight and LordDallos like this.
  11. King Scoop

King Scoop Jedi Knight

Jan 1, 2016
    I think it would have done the character some good if they'd allowed her to spend more time with Luke, and with her actual friends. That's when her character truly shined.

12. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Her acting was really good in TROS. TROS had me kind of relieved after her TLJ characterisation tbh.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  13. LordDallos

LordDallos Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2016

You’re pretty much where I was at. I was incredibly intrigued by her backstory and trajectory in TFA. I was astoundingly disappointed by the answers and arc (or lack thereof) in TLJ. And I was more than satisfied with her direction and conclusion in Episode 9.

Shadao and reyvision like this.
  14. Cave of Erised

Cave of Erised Jedi Knight star 2

May 3, 2018
    What’s nice about movies with sequels is being able to watch an actor like Daisy grow in their field (and with their character). Since I am ambivalent about her taking the Skywalker name, Daisy Ridley’s earnest helps sell it. That being said, I think she does her best work with Adam; they feed off each other and hopefully that is a skill she can extract and apply to other screen partners going forward.

15. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    In the jedi prince books, we have the grandson of Palpatine (Ken) and also Palpatine's son (Triclops). The thing is, Ken's mother was a 'jedi princess'.

That's FG Leia at the end of TROS. There's also JJ's comment about the house of Skywalker and the house of Palpatine.
    That's royal language. The Palpatine House was one of Naboo's royal houses...as were the Naberries. Anakin became a part of it, part of a House, when he married Padme.

Leia was a Naberrie (Naboo) and also an Organa (Alderaan). In TROS, Palpatine says after the duel 'the princess of Alderaan has disrupted my plans', and he's clearly talking about Leia...but Snoke was clearly talking about Luke in TLJ ('darkness rises and light to meet it...Skywalker, I assumed. Wrongly'), and yet he wasn't wrong. Not now.

Rey's possible royalty is never addressed, just her jedi path and her jedi path name, Skywalker. But Luke Skywalker, jedi master, had been royalty too.

There are several possibilities for Rey's mother -Leia herself, a Naberrie, some alderaanian princess. Originally,Leia knew who Rey was in TFA. (Rey's mother in TROS looks more like Beru or Breha or Sabé to me) But the question's there, I think, as was Luke&Leia's mother until it was answered in the prequels.

16. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

Apr 22, 2018
    Rey being a foil for Kylo is part of the problem. He should be a foil for HER, because she is allegedly the protagonist. Or was, I guess we can stop pretending the ST is about Rey.

17. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    I loved how she fought to suppress her dark side self and he fought to suppress his light side self and both knew that about the other from being inside the other’s minds and from when their bodies became one in the hut before Luke broke up some much needed force stress release.

Thankfully they got to experience that connection with both on the light side of the force once more before the end.
    [​IMG]

18. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    The sequel trilogy was about Rey, she was the one at the end to complete the heroes journey. Just because another characters arc ended in the same place doesn’t discount Rey’s journey from nobody to the last jedi. The protagonist had a heroes journey (Rey) and the anatagonist had a redemption arc. Two completely different arcs that will always be intertwined.

Shaak Ti likes this.
  19. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    Maybe it never was exclusively about Rey? Despite the generally held opinion that this trilogy had no plan or direction, I suspect that it was always planned as the two-hander we got.

Ruffmeian likes this.
  20. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

Apr 22, 2018
    I loved how Rey abandoned any pretense of self-respect and kissed her Nazi abuser.
    /S
    Rey was supposed to be a role model. Her arc is about fixing and kissing the evil fascist who tortured and violated her and yada yada yada.
    Not a very interesting arc if one thinks a woman's character development shouldn't revolve around her abuser. Rather, I find it repulsive and regressive.

21. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Kylo Ren died on the Death Star ruins. Han Solo’s son, Ben, who was a lot like his dad and who gave his life so that she may live is who she kissed.

22. reyvision

reyvision Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2017
    The trilogy was always about Rey as the main hero. She is the one who defeats the villain in the end and she's the only character where all three titles of the trilogy relate to her.

Other characters are important, but Rey is the Luke Skywalker of this trilogy. Now, how her character was handled or done is open to interpretation. Do people think it was done well? That's a discussion. But it was her story.

Shaak Ti and ImpKnight like this.
  23. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    ATTENTION ALL WHO POST HERE: WE ARE DONE WITH THIS "NAZI ABUSER" LABEL BEING TOSSED OUT AT EVERY AVAILABLE OPPORTUNITY TO BAIT USERS. FEEL FREE TO DISCUSS WHAT YOU LIKE OR DON'T LIKE ABOUT THE RELATIONSHIP BUT THESE TYPES OF INCENDIARY TERMS WILL EARN YOU A BAN. THIS IS NOT UP FOR DISCUSSION. LOVE, YOUR MOD TEAM.

24. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    I wanted Rey’s journey towards being a Jedi to be really arduous and punishing. Kind of like The Bride’s treatment at the hands of Pai Mei in Kill Bill Vol 2.

I was hoping that we would see her really down in the dirt with Luke barracking her relentlessly, and her questioning herself whether she could actually go on. I think that would have made for some great Star Wars.

The next best thing then was that she was put through the ringer by her adversary. In classic villain style he tried to manipulate her, fight her and break her will, but she overcame him. For me, she became a Jedi on DS2 when she didn’t leave him to die, she instead healed him. It was compassion that defeated cruelty, and thus ended Kylo Ren forever.

25. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    The Trilogy was suffering from a horribly skewed imbalance that dragged Rey down in spite of her intended role. Kylo/Ben, with almost no real development or substance beyond the bare minimum for a supporting character, and coasting almost exclusively off his lineage, got to parasitically suck initiative and dramatic priorities away from Rey... and other more developed and deserving characters.

Rey was denied more empathetic and believable characterization and plot opportunities where it would inconvenience “Ben Solo’s” prosaic and barely-there redemption arc, and she was twisted into a crude pretzel of a character to involve her in a romance with a non-entity:
    ...because Ben Solo is nothing more than a brief, monosyllabic bit of five minute improv from Adam Driver lacking any actual substance as a character because they wanted to push past Kylo Ren and the inherent consequences in acknowledging that character’s substance and wholly negative impact on Rey.

They distorted and weakened their main character for the sake of nothing more than short reboot of Adam Driver’s role. They sacrificed her story, Finn’s role as the male lead, and the “lives” of Han and Leia for the sake of nothing worthwhile.

Speaking of Finn...

...He and Rey had a far superior relationship in terms of character utility. It was a reciprocal chemistry and interplay of character arcs, where if there *was* an imbalance, it was infavor of Rey. They actually had complementary internal conflicts that built towards an actually cathartic and rewarding emotional climax between them, and actually helped each other as characters. Finn wasn’t a burden on Rey, and Rey wasn’t really a burden on Finn.

Also, incidentally... Rey works as an overall protagonist when sharing the stage with Finn instead of Kylo/Ben, being written in a way that actually would work for a role model - or a male lead character. A platonic relationship with Finn easily eclipses the dramatic value and pathetic quality of Rey and Kylo... and I think it obvious that an interracial relationship between them would have not just more value as a progressive storyline, but behind that, it would have actually been believable.