main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Luke Skywalker/Mark Hamill Discussion Thread [SEE WARNING ON PAGE 134]

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

1. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    lol

“YOU KILLED MY MISERY!!!”

2. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    You’re commenting on a board about Star Wars. You’re Annie too.

3. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Never let it be said that Star Wars fans can’t take a joke.

Iron_lord likes this.
  4. 77FN

77FN Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 23, 2016
    Superb post! One can’t undo this. It’s already set in film history. The only way to get around it as an individual is by simply rendering it as non-canon. Disney, JJ, KK, Rian... they’ve royally screwed up the legacy of the OT and soured the ending of Return of the Jedi, a beloved family film by millions for over three decades. That’s unforgivable.
    I predict as more and more watch the entire saga in order once the box set is out, even those that were initially impressed with the ST will start to notice how badly they’ve tarnished the entire “Skywalker” saga now...
    We’ll doubtless start to see some damage control from The Mouse this year, and other media to plug the story-telling gaps with attempts to ‘lift’ the ST.
    They had every opportunity, all the talent and money needed, the coup of getting back the original cast, a superb group of new actors, John Williams, and they dropped the ball on one of the most well-loved franchises and characters in movie history.

Chémus, ImpKnight, ami-padme and 9 others like this.
  5. MaverickJedi85

MaverickJedi85 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 16, 2019
    Easily the best post of this thread so far.

ami-padme likes this.
  6. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    [​IMG]

Luke is a more fascinating mythic character from the entirety of his Joseph Campbell-inspired life arc after the ST than he was prior. Some of the hardest battles are fought inside and that’s something many viewers can relate to. Seeing Luke overcome his inner demons and changing course resonates with many fans whose battles haven’t involved lightsabers. Luke wasn’t ruined. His function to overcome was simply utilized in a different way that others will connect to in ways that some of you will not.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  7. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Or alternatively people will continue to like what they like? While I don’t think TROS is a particularly amazing finale it will never change how much I love TFA or TLJ. People said for years that the prequels would eventually sour and to this day that has not occurred.

It’s totally fine for people to enjoy the ST. They aren’t blinded by “newness”. To be honest it’s a bit condescending to suggest that we just don’t “see it yet”. Let people like what they like.

indydefense likes this.
  8. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    I think its missed that Lukes instinctual reaction to the Dark Side rising in Kylo is to protect and defend other people that he loves. The film specifically states this. Hes put in a near impossible decision to make, yet fate would have it that this very thought would be the driving force for kylo to succumb to the dark side.

Qui Gon does say that the life of a jedi is a hard life. So people wanted Lukes journey to end when hes 30 years old? Always moving forward and transformative. Its a key theme to joseph campbells school of mythology.

Iron_lord likes this.
  9. Nate787

Nate787 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 29, 2016
    There's nothing more satisfying and heartwarming as a fan than to know our hero wishes he never would have left the farm.

PendragonM likes this.
  10. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    When are setbacks or dark periods ever meant to be felt as heart-warning? For kids who grew up seeing the heroics of Anakin Skywalker, his father, was his slide toward evil meant to be heart-warming? Setbacks are meant to disappoint and sadden but when we see people we care about overcome those setbacks eventually... that’s when we can find happiness and inspiration that it was never too late for them to change and get themselves out of those ruts and rediscover themselves. These are journeys of the soul. Their souls are on the line.

indydefense and Iron_lord like this.
  11. Alliyah Skywalker

Alliyah Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2017
    Therein lies the rub. If the story in question doesn`t manage to convince you that this has happened, you find zero happiness, inspiration, pay-off or catharsis. Because then you are just left with a broken, deconstructed thing and a story where it absolutely was too late to change things around.

Crait is obviously a very dividing factor and for everyone for whom it doesn`t work at all, your above story construct falls flat on its face.

RJ wrote a story that hinges on people agreeing with his philosophies and valuing what he does in a story. And it leaves everyone out in the cold who doesn`t. That is not true for every storyteller who manage to bring people into the story who might not (fully) agree with them. Your values happen to align with RJ`s but it is clear that not everyones do and they couldn`t care less for things in the story that seem important to you but would have cared for things not important to you.

So in the end "this is great because it lines up with my tastes" can never be a convincing storytelling argument.

Chémus, ImpKnight, Shadao and 6 others like this.
  12. Nate787

Jan 29, 2016
    I like the idea RJ laid out of his setbacks. But Luke was NEVER the type to take himself permanently out of the equation. That's where RJ messed up. And there is nothing in the OT to suggest otherwise. He sure all hell never aspired to be Uncle Owen and Rian Johnson would probably laugh to hear that someone took it that way. That is some serious BS you tried to pass off there.

13. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    I think it was very much the intent. This is his dark period but unlike his father he didn’t embrace the dark side and change. He disconnected from the force entirely and lived off the land and changed for a time. After a discussion with Rian Johnson, Fry, who wrote TLJ’s novelization wrote a chapter where Luke imagines what his life would have been like had he stayed to live with his uncle on the farm. That tells me I’m not far off and you can hear it in his voice and in his look and the way he lives off the land here.
    [​IMG]

It makes sense because he it was the force and his force journey that brought him closer to his father’s adventurous life and here he’s shut all of that off.

Him staying out of the fight is a years long exaggeration of the lengths he showed he was willing to go to not become like Darth Vader at the end when he first saw himself on the edge of that and threw his saber away. He is so angry at himself for not only letting the dark side in once more like he did prior but for helping to create the next Darth Vader (from his perspective). Rather than risk any more dark side possibilities he shuts off his connection to the force entirely and all of the force ghosts out from trying to talk him out of this choice.

Iron_lord likes this.
  14. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    of the hundred different paths Luke could go down him becoming Uncle Owen is by far the least interesting lol

ImpKnight, ami-padme, Shadao and 7 others like this.
  15. Nate787

Jan 29, 2016

And by far the least likely. No way was RJ trying to convey that message. I can't believe I'm even reading this. [face_laugh]

16. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Not as a setback focused on not becoming Darth Vader it isn’t. Makes perfect sense to me. Detractors of the Luke arc like to say “Not my Luke” or “Jake Skywalker” so on one hand they like to acknowledge the difference and criticize but less seem willing to give anywhere near as much thought as to why that could be that doesn’t involve them bashing Johnson in some way.

If you’re a fan of Luke Skywalker Jedi Master then him becoming closer to Uncle Owen for a phase is the second biggest worst case scenario for the character beyond him becoming Darth Vader. And since Luke’s entire MO is to not become Darth Vader it is a terrific disappointment to spring on fans as a setback.

He’s the man who raised him. In many ways he was his real dad and a lot of people become more like the people who raised them as they get older. Whether they’ve realized it’s happened or not. It fits in with Campbellian analysis on the aging process as well.

indydefense and christophero30 like this.
  17. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    fair enough. Coming soon to a multiplex near you. Rey as a middle aged cat lady shut in. :p

18. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Ironically. Luke should be more fond of his uncle since his uncle raised him. his uncle was the only father figure he knew of. but somehow they became just the uncle and aunt. they die and its moving on!

Nate787 and christophero30 like this.
  19. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    I was watching ROS yesterday (with 4 other people who really liked it) and was wondering what happened to the charred corpses at the end. :)

20. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Jawas. The little bastards will sell anything.

21. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    That’s why the old lady came back. She was hoping there might be more. “It’s been so long since I had any charred bones for my bone collection.”

22. Alliyah Skywalker

Alliyah Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2017
    Speak for yourself, that cowardly pathetic thing in TLJ was a way worse scenario for me than becoming Vader-like. I don`t care how Luke would view it but for me? Not even a competition.

Also, if you are a fan of Luke Skywalker, Jedi Master, you are out of luck in the ST because I never saw anyone who remotely deserved that title. Not on Ahch-To or on Crait.

23. Nate787

Jan 29, 2016
    This post deserves more recognition.

ami-padme and christophero30 like this.
  24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The charred corpses are the old lady. They merged into one and started regrowing muscle, nerves, and skin.

25. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Luke has now been degraded to the subject of motivational memes, made to prevent middle-aged men from having a midlife crisis.
    Should have stayed a farmboy instead of trying to save the galaxy, he has too much of his uncle in him.
    Worked all his life, so now he can retire and have a cold brewskie in front of his twin fireplace while doing work on his sky-pad.
    Can't afford to be idealistic anymore, should probably just stop trying and just go somewhere to die.
    Visualize of killing his intern in a fleeting moment of desperation cause the workplace is hell today.

The possibilities are endless, Luke can be a real hero of the jaded and disillusioned with life boomer at heart.
    We can all resonate with this character. We just have to think bigger. Like, Office Space or Falling Down big.

ImpKnight, ami-padme, Shadao and 6 others like this.