main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode IX Box Office Discussion

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Marathonjedi77, Dec 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    There is no chance whatsoever for TROS to do better than TLJ, it's just not going to happen. And you seeing a movie more often than another one is nothing but anecdotal evidence that doesn't matter at all. Heck, at this point TROS is unlikely to beat out Rogue One domestically, and won't exactly blow past it worldwide either.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  2. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    I’ve read many diff things that people are seeing it again and again not just me. So I think it will have longer legs than the TLJ

3. Alliyah Skywalker

Alliyah Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2017
    Better legs at this point will still don't give it a better final gross than TLJ, that ship has sailed.

4. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    This is an underrated post. The fact is that none of the previous trilogies had random “anthology” films getting audiences out to the box office in between like Rogue One and Solo did. These releases make it harder to make this an apples to apples comparison any more for that reason. Yes, there’s a difference between a saga film and a Star Wars film to us but is there to “Carol in accounting” (the average general audience goer who would consider themselves less than a casual fan) who doesn’t follow this stuff as much and was part of that initial wave of curiosity seekers that pushed TFA over the top?

5. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    All indicators are pointing to it not doing better than TLJ. But perhaps if we all wish hard enough, the Mouse will be rewarded with even more millions...

6. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    Wow, not too dissimilar to the ST!

7. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Put on the same scale (OTOH, don't have the exact numbers in my head and obvs we don't have the final ones for Ep IX):

TFA: 503
    TLJ : ~343
    TRoS: ~285

Quite dissimilar.

8. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Not a fair comparison because TFA was outside all charts.It still is the #1 DOM movie of all times, so anything compared to it would be dissimilar.

9. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    ANH was outside all charts.

Oryx-I and Darth Nobunaga like this.
  10. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    How is not fair? What does "outside all charts" even mean? It's not like some random natural event took place. Like a hurricane. A lot of people went to TFA. Less went to see TLJ. And even fewer saw TROS. (so far). It's not like the audience who went to see TFA suddenly all died. They're still out there.

11. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    TFA was not a movie, it was an event. Many people who were not interested in Star Wars went to see it, and they did not return for the next movies.

If everybody who watched TFA left the theater in complete love of the universe, Rogue One would have made 2B USD as well.

12. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    It’s always good to stick ones fingers in the ears and sing ‘la, la, la’... ;)

13. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    It's still fair. It's a movie. And it was an event. And the other movies were events too, just lesser so.

14. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Just going to point out ANH was a far more significant event than TFA. There wasn't a Star Wars before then. There was a global phenomenon after.

15. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    I’d hope and think that should be obvious to anyone here.

16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    TPM was pretty huge too. Probably a bigger phenomenon than TFA

Miles Lodson and Darth PJ like this.
  17. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    NVM

18. lawton

lawton Jedi Master star 4

May 12, 2015
    I thought the original run of Ep 6 made more than Ep 5.

Oryx-I likes this.
  19. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    That works both ways no? You are of course welcome to your opinions on the relative success of TROS, but I think the data is suggesting otherwise. Besides, why should TROS not doing as well as TLJ undermine your view of it? You can enjoy it regardless of its box office being the lowest of the sequels.

20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It's made more than Solo!

21. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    According to the-numbers.com, TROS's weekend is $33.7 million.

Virtually impossible for it to catch ROTS's adjusted or Rogue One.

Most likely it will make it past $500 million domestic, but it'll take a long time.

Edit: I'm still not sure it'll make it past $500 million if it keeps falling like this. Disney may have to push it over the finish line.

Miles Lodson, 2Cleva and ami-padme like this.
  22. Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo Jedi Youngling

Dec 19, 2019
    Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker passed the $900M global mark this weekend.

The film grossed an estimated $50.5M internationally this weekend. International total stands at $468.0M, global total stands at $918.8M.

#StarWarsTheRiseOfSkywalker #BoxOffice @DisneyStudios https://t.co/m5z5934Aqs

ladygrey45 likes this.
  23. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    You made a demeaning comment about my opinion. I do not accept that.

24. Tyrian

Tyrian Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 5, 2000
    Any TROS Box Office discussion at this point is just a subset of the real discussion: General audience apathy towards Star Wars.

Every number and trend coming in further reinforces the fact that general audiences..... just dont care about Star Wars, to the levels anyone was expecting or hoping for, anyway. "See how the Saga ends" - apparently audiences dont particular care how it ended. Its not even that audiences are in 'no rush' to find out by waiting a few days/week to see it, they flat out just dont care and have skipped TROS entirely.

That sort of disinterest is the real discussion to be had.

Spoiler: The Box office number/trends for tomorrow and weekend coming will further reinforce this.

25. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I’m sorry you think that... but that was not the intention. It’s true to say that some are wilfully ignoring the data.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.