main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Palpatine "Gran Palpa" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jan 3, 2020.

1. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    New Forum, new thread! This is the new catch-all thread for discussion of the character in the ST, and sometimes the actor who played him.

[​IMG]

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
  3. JarJar_IS_Tarkin

JarJar_IS_Tarkin Jedi Master star 1

Jan 7, 2003
    Hey guys!
    I've seen the movies and I think I figured out how Palpatine survive Return of the Jedi when Dart Vader throw him down the shaft he gained a lot speed falling down. He was also shooting lightning bolts from his hands to create over voltage. Combined with this he used Death Star prototype for the last time causing him going forward in time to future to carry on his schemes. Just like the Dart Maul before him. The circle is now complete. What do you guys think?

4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Remember everyone Sheev ****s

never forget that

5. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    The most powerful Sith, learned how to cheat death from his master to craft a plan, against the Jedi. Thank you Ian McDairmid, for almost four decades portraying Chancellor Palpatine/Emperor.

6. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

EXECUTE THE FINAL ORDER!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Even though I liked IX most of his lines just seemed to be reused from ROTS and ROTJ

DarthKreVass likes this.
  8. yodaman_reborn

yodaman_reborn Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2009
    I’m pretty sure his lightning didn’t reach the 1.21 gigawatts needed to make that time travel jump.

9. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    They should have just brought him back in Ep VII. What was gained from replacing Ian McDiarmid with a cgi cartoon Snoke? They obviously felt compelled to include an evil sorcerer character that looked, talked, and filled the exact same role as Palpatine, so why not just bring back the real Palpatine? Did they think it was going to be too reminiscent of the PT? So many bizarre, clueless decisions in this trilogy, but this has to be one of the big ones. What a wasted opportunity.

10. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Its funny because there was that rumour going around that Disney had to pay lucas everytime they used a concept or character he created. now people say was a BS rumour. but its funny how JJ attempted to create new characters or ideas that were just the same thing as previous characters or ideas.

For example why was that sith holocron looking thing called a wayfinder in TROS? it clearly looked like a holocron?

As you say. why was Snoke just another Palpatine? they even in episode 7 tried to say that Snoke wasn't sith but was something else... then they went back to the sith again for 9?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  11. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I hate Palpatine returning, but if your going to bring him back please....

1. Explain how he is alive. Quoting that PT line doesn’t count.
    2. Put foreshadowing of his return in TLJ and TFA.

12. JFettG

JFettG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    Completely agree.

Probably would've made sense to mention him in TFA as someone who had mentored Snoke or inspired Snoke. Or, if they had known he was coming back before TLJ finished filming (it sounds like they made the Palpatine decision after TLJ), have the resistance hear the radio transmission of Palpatine while they're on Crait. This gives you a huge reveal near the end of the film and can easily be transferred to the TROS story.

Nom von Anor, 77FN and Shadao like this.
  13. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    I just read a comment elsewhere that made me realize something.

Imagine yourself as someone who has never seen Star Wars before and you want to get into it. You can start with the either in release or chronological order, but the ST always has to come last. So, you stayed away from spoilers and the trailers of all the films and you finally come to the conclusion of the saga and...

The title crawl drops the fact that Palpatine is back.

How would you feel about that? I’d be beyond confused and immediately think I’m missing part of the story. Where did Palpatine’s return come from? It wasn’t set up in the last two films, that’s for sure. It’s a lot to process from just the title crawl. There is no lead into this finale.

14. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    That's because Sheev's return was never planned put. It was damage control once TLJ offend Snoke and made Kylo and Hux look so pathetic, you need at least on credible villain after that.

15. Tyrian

Tyrian Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 5, 2000
    In this recent interview.... Ian says 'about a year ago' he spoke to JJ who was 'thinking about bringing back the Emperor'.

IE: It was never planned from trilogy beginning. It was all a post-TLJ 'what the hell do we do now' mess, as we all suspected.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  16. Shadao

Shadao Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2017
    Personally, I'm wondering if Palpatine is really dead after TROS. If they can't explain how he came back the first time (or even explain how our heroes could defeat him permanently this time), what's stopping Palpatine from coming back again? Disney could easily make him into Freddy Krueger and just bring him back over and over again when other villains fail.

At least when Maul died the second time, we know that he has lost the will to live and Obi-Wan has the body in his hands to ensure there'll be no plausible survival.

lord_sidious_, Nom von Anor and Noen like this.
  17. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Poe literally says “he’s back somehow” great explanation JJ

18. SrWilson

SrWilson Jedi Master star 1

Feb 2, 2005
    Best thing in the ST besides Kylo Ren and BB8 :D

19. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    As a person interested in expertly crafted stories, I'm sympathetic to the notion that bringing back the Emperor after his defeat in VI was a mistake. Now that we have a complete understanding of the relationship between Vader and Palpatine, the breadth of Sidious's personal and political manipulations in the prequels, and the role he generally played in ruining the lives of pretty much everyone we've ever seen in a Star Wars movie, those final moments in VI are just exquisite. Bringing him back is not only unnecessary, it undermines the dramatic heft of the scene where Vader rejects the Emperor and drops him down a chute for the sake of his son.

Having openly conceded that, I'll also say that as far as I'm concerned, TFA completely devalued the OT anyway with its entire soft reboot premise. The dramatic heft is already lost when you find out, 30 years later, the galaxy is more or less fighting the same damn war. The only things that have changed are some of the names and titles, but functionally it's still "Rebels vs. Empire," "Jedi vs. Sith."

With that in mind, I'm fine with them bringing the Emperor back. It's all been cheapened anyway. So why not bring back the saga's best villain and its most consistently excellent actor, Ian McDiarmid?

As deeply flawed as TROS is, my joy at seeing 75-year-old Ian McDiarmid back on the big screen, cackling and zapping, can't be overstated.

20. Tyrian

Tyrian Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 5, 2000
    My favourite line in the film is spoken by Palpatine: "Let your death be the final word in the story of Rebellion".

All of his lines were cartoony, campy, over the top... and its lots of fun to hear good old Palps apparently having the time of his life cackling and gloating as he delivers them.

21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    He's not nearly as campy as he was in ROTS

22. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    Hard to pick a favorite for me. I loved the entire confrontation with Kylo in the film's prologue.

Yeah, and honestly, I was happy about that. As much as I love Ian, he played Sidious very goofy at times in ROTS. It's not his fault so much as George not directing very well, imo.

This Sheev felt more like the creepiest one of all: ROTJ.

TheCowboyBuilder likes this.
  23. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    This video deserves to be here, because thats the only Plapy i remembered:

Also i just realized Sheev Palpatine was supposed to be the clone of Shev Palpatine. Now i explained his survival in TROS. Lucas knew it all along.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  24. lawton

lawton Jedi Master star 4

May 12, 2015
    Yep strange but it does appear with the earlier concepts for TFA Snoke was always intended to be something living unnaturally.

I wonder what the story outline was before they decided to bring Palpatine back in the flesh? Was Palps spirit itself going to be involved as possessing Snoke etc?

25. 77FN

77FN Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 23, 2016
    Spot on!

ami-padme likes this.