main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

RJ Trilogy The Rian Johnson Trilogy

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Darth Chiznuk , Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    Yeah. 400 years prior to TPM and "origins of the Jedi/Sith" are pretty different things. They probably just heard "set in the past" and latched onto some KOTOR type of thing on instinct.

Mostly Handless and rocknroll41 like this.
  2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It'll be set during the Big Bang

Bor Mullet and rocknroll41 like this.
  3. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    I read something interesting last night. Was over on the reddit thread and someone posted a link in the thread to, I believe wookiepedia or something similar. It was a page that gave an entry on Republic and Sith history per the new canon and even had full references to confirm it was legit.

I did not know any of this as I don't read any of the novels or ansulary material. Supposedly in the new canon there was a period known as the Old Republic era. In this era the jedi were more warrior-like, militaristic, and soldiers. This was also the era with the full scale jedi vs sith wars and when Bane created the rule of two.

At some point in this era the sith ruled the galaxy. Once the wars were over, the Sith developed the rule of two and went into hiding.

This signaled the end of the old Republic era and the beginning of the Galactic Republic era as it has been officially referred to so far. Supposedly this is what Jason is referring to in his new report when he calls it the High Republic era. It is after the sith are thought to be defeated and dead and the Republic flourishes again for 1,000 years before they re-emerge in Phantom Menace. In this new Republic era that lasts approximately 1,000 years leading up to TPM, the jedi have become more peacekeepers and conflict settlers and more monk-like, etc as we know them from the existing movies.

When the Hollywood Reporter story a few months back claimed that the Benioff and Weiss movies were going to focus on the origins of the jedi, it could mean 1 of 3 things:

1. Hollywood Reporter was correct at face value and the reality is their movies had nothing to do with this newly reported concept, as the B&W movies would have taken place thousands of years earlier.

2. Who ever wrote the HR story heard Republic era/took place centuries before the Skywalker saga and assumed it would be about the early jedi and just misspoke in the article.

3. Perhaps an origin story of sorts regarding the jedi IS going to be told but it will be about the jedi order being reborn in a sense by going from a militaristic group to the peacekeeping monks they later became. This type of story would in theory fit into the newly reported time period.

EDIT: To add to this, I think it is possible Rian Johnson's new films could be set in this era. That idea lines up with a number of things. I recall a report that claimed a while back that Rian was working WITH Benioff and Weiss to make sure both of their stories meshed and didn't contradict each other. Also, the new report indicates that this isn't going to be just a trilogy or even a 6 or 9 film linear narrative. This sounds like it is going to be an Avengers style era of movies that ultimately converge and connect. However it clearly sounds like LFL and Disney want to put all of their focus on this era for a while as they build it up and make it rich with epic storytelling. Therefore it would make sense that Rian Johnson is going to have a trilogy set in this larger series/narrative. Kevin Fiege is also said to have a stand alone movie. Maybe his will be part of this as well. In the MCU sense, as an analogy, perhaps Rian is going to get something equivalent to the Captain America trilogy (The First Avenger, Winter Soldier, Civil War). Fiege gets his own character movie within this era etc, before it all comes together...This would all make sense rather than Rian doing something completely unrelated to this era and same with Fiege.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    Mostly Handless and Demon4x4 like this.
  4. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Rian Johnson’s next film will be Knives Out 2 according to the Hollywood Reporter.

All_Powerful_Jedi and ladygrey45 like this.
  5. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    This makes it more likely that someone else will be in charge of this trilogy which is great news!

6. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Guess he’s second cab off the rank then. Can’t wait for this January announcement to see who they’ve got lined up. Don’t it will be Feige so I’m guessing someone new. Famuyiwa?

7. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    I mean it’s possible this report is a little off and it’s still the Jedi origin story, was it ever officially reported what there story was like by legit sources.

8. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Just wanted to add the source to this. It does in fact specify that Johnson wants to do the Knives Out sequel within the next year, which doesn’t technically preclude him from doing the 2022 film, but would make it unlikely since the time crunch from one film to the next would be way too tight.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...red-daniel-craigs-detective-character-1266533

Bor Mullet likes this.
  9. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    This confirms my current feelings about Rian. He must be careful to not become an one-trick pony.

He is quickly becoming the "plot twist" director. Knives Out fits him as the whole movie is just a huge plot twist.

Star Wars cannot be twisted so much. Killing Snoke, throwing the saber, not training Rey, etc, etc, etc, was a lot of twists for a single movie. Maybe too much.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  10. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015
    WAY TOO much again a cohesive story is more rewarding than shock factor knives out was brilliant, Star Wars nope

11. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    None of those things are plot twists.

12. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    They are subverting the viewer expectations. In a sense, a twist of the plot to challenge the viewer.

He really loves plot twists and reversals.

13. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    The interesting thing is that the plot twists are not at all what make Knives Out great. That movie’s great because it’s absolutely hilarious and a fantastic social satire. Would be fun to see that kind of thing in the GFFA too. But I’m not interested in a traditional story from RJ. That’s not his strength, and it’s not where his interests lie.

14. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    The interesting thing about the movie is
    It gets the twist out of the way early. There's still a whodunnit reveal at the end, but the "twist" is done and dusted with the full introduction of Marta's character.
    This is because Johnson is more interested in character and theme than that actual twist or subversion; those are things that services the characters and themes, not the other way around.

15. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    The subversion of expectations seems to be the sticking point for many when it comes to loving or hating Johnson. Those reversals are only merited when they inform and enrich character, not merely twist the story in a different direction for the sake of being clever. To me, it's much more the former than the latter when it comes to Johnson.

16. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Lets face it RJ isn't going to get another Star Wars movie - Disney will now not go there after TLJ backlash the risk of a box office flop is just to high.....

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  17. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Maybe but seeing as how they haven’t announced that yet. I think it proves the opposite true.

18. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Precisely.

19. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015
    Imo I think it’s HUGE risk for them if they gave him this new trilogy I really don’t see them doing that. Even if KK wants it for example Bob iger might not. I don’t think his plot twists elevated the story or serviced the characters imo. (Talking Star Wars )

20. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Who’s to say Bob cares? Disney is very hands off with their properties

21. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015
    He should care. Like I said I personally don’t think he’ll get this new trilogy

22. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    This isn’t a trilogy though they have said they are done confining stories to trilogies. So he might get 1 film he might get 4 who knows. But seeing as how they haven’t said anything and Johnson hasn’t hinted at anything I think he is at least getting one more movie.

23. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015
    Do you want him too? I personally don’t. not if it’s going to be war is bad vibe ugh.

24. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    It wasn’t saying war is bad it was saying war just makes the rich richer. As companies profit off of both sides.

and yes I do want him to TLJ is my favorite Star Wars movie.

Demon4x4, AndrewPascoe and zackm like this.
  25. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015
    Yeah that’s a horrible take and doesn’t belong in Star Wars but yeah we agree to disagree I don’t want him in Star Wars.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.