main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Do you think Jar Jar Binks is as annoying as fans actually make him out to be?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by DarthVist, Dec 24, 2019.

Tags:
?

Do you think Jar Jar Binks is as annoying as fans actually make him out to be?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    19.5%
  2. No

66 vote(s)
    80.5%
  1. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Are you sure? I thought I remembered someone addressing him that way in TPM, but can't be 100% sure since I haven't seen the movie in ages. If it's not there, my mistake, must have mistaken it for another character. In that case I take it back.

2. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I'm pretty sure he's always addressed as either "Jar Jar" or "another pathetic life form". ;)

3. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    Nobody ever addressed him as "Mr. Binks". "Representative Binks", yes, but never "Mr."

4. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    OK, my mistake, sorry

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
  5. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    He gets a lot more hate than he deserves.
    Nobody has to like him, but I think he is a great character that contributes to the trilogy overall at least.
    There's nothing wrong with being a little clumsy, and he has shown to be rather clever at some points.
    I feel like that even though he receives a diminished role in the later films, he does develop as a character somewhat.
    His appearances in AOTC at least show he is trying to be more mature, and take his role as Naboo's representative seriously.
    I like his arc, from hated exile, to war hero, to representative of his people to the Republic. It just works for me I guess.

6. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    No. I don’t really care for his character but I never disliked him either

7. Bee Bee

Bee Bee Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2015
    I both kinda like him and totally hate him at the same time. He started out feeling so close to being the kind of character I longed for in the prequels: a fairly normal everyday citizen who isn't a politician or jedi. In TPM, aside from Anakin, he felt (ironically) the most human and relatable of the main cast. Even his design is great and the cgi effects are still impressive 20 years later.
    However... his brand of humor is too in your face throughout the movie and he seriously derails scenes that could have been great. The worst offence being the battle of Naboo which he turns into a silly slapstick routine. Some restraint could have made Jar Jar a decent character.

8. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Some restraint would have made him a less fun character for the kids. Why would you want to take away some fun from the kids?

9. Bee Bee

Dec 23, 2015
    I don't believe kids need screaming / poop / fart jokes to be entertained.

Force Smuggler and eko32eko7 like this.
  10. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    The first film in the original trilogy also aimed at kids didn’t need a Jar Jar character to inject forced humour into the film.

11. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Jar Jar Binks isn't the only reason that I haven't watched The Phantom Menace since about 2001, but he is probably the main one.

12. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Never annoyed me to begin with. For me Jar Jar was always in the same ballpark as a box of tools falling on Han’s head or the burp stuff from Jedi.

13. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Because the technology wasn't there for a character like him that didn't look like an actor in a suit? There was plenty of slapstick humor with R2 and 3PO. A lot of people also thought they were "forced humor" then.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  14. General Coldsnap

General Coldsnap Jedi Youngling

Jan 1, 2020
    I dunno, I genuinely have liked him, straight from the beginning, and I don't get why he receives this much hate... It's adorable, how he tries to be heroic, and messes up, a lot. It's quite hilarious, as well...

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    Deliveranze and Iron_lord like this.
  15. Bee Bee

Dec 23, 2015
    I figured the C-3PO comparison would show up. Honestly the level of in-your-face cheap humor isn't comparable. Remember the scene in Empire when C-3PO took down an AT-AT by accident? Or how about when a tauntaun farted in his face? Or when he stepped on a turd? I don't. A perfect example is when Obi-Wan is giving Luke his lightsaber in ANH C-3PO just quietly sits in the background, if that scene were shot TPM style, C-3PO would be bumbling around in the background and Luke would have to pull him out of a hole or something for no reason halfway through Obi-Wan's story. It's not that funny characters are bad, but their humor shouldn't come at the expense of the drama or storytelling.

Force Smuggler, DrDre and AndyLGR like this.
  16. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Sorry but we must be watching different films if you think TPM and the original are comparable in their humour, it doesn’t come anywhere nowhere near the level of Jar Jar and his antics in TPM with unfunny sight gags, pratfalls and basically undermining every scene he’s in. It just so left field and out of place that I don’t know why they thought it would be a good idea and for me added nothing to the film. The 3PO / R2 verbal banter works without even trying too hard, it had to establish the character of 3PO.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    Force Smuggler likes this.
  17. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    They're very much comparable indeed. It's possible TPM tried to broaden the range of the target audience somewhat, but at their heart they're both trying to be corny, old-fashioned entertainment with kids in mind, primarily.

Mark Pierre and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  18. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I think that’s supposed to be engine grease he’s stepping in, not poop.

19. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    I like how Jar Jar made a bit of a comeback in TCW. They took a risk with him and the fans liked it.

Iron_lord likes this.
  20. JeanNo

JeanNo Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 21, 2015
    Definitely YES in my opinion.

21. Eike Starseeker

Eike Starseeker Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 1, 2019
    I think its overreacting, but its obvious Jar Jar was created for the little ones.
    But hey without Jar Jar, we wouldnt have Darth Jar Jar theorys and memes.

22. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Have you ever met a kid?

What's the actual, articulable difference in humor value between, say, C-3PO hitting his head on a door and Jar Jar stepping in poop?

Like I don't know about you, but if my friend was standing next to a camel's behind and it just suddenly blasted him right in the face, I'd probably laugh. That would be funny.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    Ruffmeian and eko32eko7 like this.
  23. Bee Bee

Dec 23, 2015
    Not sure what scene you're referring to for the head hitting but the major difference is that C-3PO's comedy relief wasn't entirely built around simple humor like that. C-3PO's humor was generally more clever and based around the conflict between his programming/personality and the adventure he found himself in thanks to his accomplice R2. Jar Jar humor is cheap and lazy.

Fart scenes can be funny (not often) but for me personally humor is heavily dependent on the setup. What is the setup for Jar Jar getting farted on? None, the joke is lol that's gross eww lol. It's brain dead baby humor. What's the point in lowering a movie's standards to appeal to preschoolers anyways? They'll like the movie regardless because they have low undeveloped standards, but you end up ruining the movie for older fans in the process.

24. eko32eko7

eko32eko7 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 10, 2018
    Jar Jar was/is a bit too toontown, in the context of Star Wars, for my taste. A bit. Nevertheless, he is a well rounded character with a specific arc and purpose. While I don't believe he needed to be quite so goofy, I also think the reaction to him has been severely exaggerated.

I certainly doesn't hurt, LOL.

The C-3PO/Jar Jar "Bombad Jedi" episode was genius.

StampidHD280pro likes this.
  25. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    I for one had no idea that C-3PO's humor was so sophisticated. From where I'm sitting, the joke with C-3PO is mostly that he's prissy and complains a lot.

What's wrong with having two instances of scatological humor in one Star Wars movie that's aimed a little bit more at kids? Is it any worse than having the characters fall in a pile of garbage and complaining about the smell? Or Han complaining about how stinky the tauntaun is? What about when the sarlacc burps in Return of the Jedi? Was that humor "lower" than when R2-D2 shoots mud out of his head on Dagobah? If so, why? Because it has to do with a bodily function? What about when the brachiosaurus sneezes and shoots snot all over Lex in Jurassic Park? Was that "cheap and lazy" too? Or was it funny (I think it was funny)?

If it was non-stop the entire movie, I would agree with you. But it's just two brief gags. Kids laugh at it. What's the harm?

Mark Pierre likes this.