main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph James Cameron's Avatar (The Way of Water + sequels)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Clonuscant, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I'm not overlooking it, I merely think it goes without saying.
    I mean, sure, Disney will continue to profit from its theatrical releases once they make their way to Disney+ (as will all other studios). But I assumed everyone already knows this, so no reason to point it out. [face_dunno]

Obviously the big question will remain what goes straight to streaming and what merits a theatrical debut. Even Amazon is fidgeting with their long-standing strategy, as was shown with The Report and The Aeronauts.

Everyone is trying to see what works best. It's going to be a while before things settle down.

I enjoyed Hugo and the Jurassic Park and TPM conversions. Other than that there hasn't been much.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    TiniTinyTony likes this.
  2. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
    True. But a lot of that is going to ride on the ability of studios to accurately measure the value individual titles bring to their services. I mentioned in the TROS box office thread that Netflix has an algorithm that does that but it took them years of data mining to build and who knows how accurate it is. It doesn't help that they're so secretive with their viewership numbers. But it's why so many of their series get canceled after 3 seasons; the algorithm has determined that most shows start to decrease in value after their third season.

Yeah I'd say Avatar utilized it the best of any movie I've seen in 3D (which isn't a lot. I'm just not a fan of the format.). I enjoyed it enough at the time, for a relative novelty. Doctor Strange is probably a close second. That movie had some great sequences for it though.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  3. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    dp

4. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Even Avatar didn't look half as impressive as some classic 1950s movies that were filmed in early 3D, if you watch them in a revival theatre.

5. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    Well my first 3D movie experience was Jaws 3D. Avatar beat the pants off that one.

6. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    No reason to expect otherwise, the 3D being used in the 80s was mostly crap. But try to watch a 50s 3D movie, being shown with dual projectors, and it will probably be the most amazing 3D experience of your life.

7. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    My first in theater 3D experience was also Jaws. It confused me when the glasses were gray. Previously I had only seen The Creature from the Black Lagoon at home in 3D with the red and blue glasses.

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It all depends on the tech, presentation and how the film was shot. Something shot in natural 3D will look better than something converted (especially anything done in the first few years after or before Avatar), even though you can get some great 3D conversions now. But screen it on a non-IMAX screen or something not projected properly bright enough and it'll all look bad.

TPM wasn't shot with much depth of field so its 3D version wasn't that good beyond the all-CG podrace sequence and some of the wider space shots. But ROTS wasn't shot like that and, on top of that, they intentionally worked to use the 3D effect as a tool to direct audience focus through things like the Battle of Coruscant. As a result, it was a much more impressive 3D experience.

Jurassic Park was also shot with a crap ton of depth of field with a lot of foreground and background staging. So when the 3D version came out a few years ago it was mindblowingly stunning in 3D- if you didn't know better you would have sworn the film was shot in 3D to begin with.

IMAX tends to be much more effective, though- sometimes too effective. Even though they didn't screen the movie itself in 3D at the full size IMAX in Lincoln Square, they did screen the trailer for it there in 3D and I think I almost went crosseyed at how extreme the effect was (but I may have been sitting too close).

9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I really liked the original Avatar 3D. Most of the 3D after I liked as well. I saw Rise of Skywalker in 3D but nothing jumped out at me as visually amazing in that regard.

10. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    sounds like quite a letdown.

11. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017

Oh and on the subject of calculating the value of streamed content:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    AI choosing what films to greenlight? The Terminator franchise has hope after all!

BigAl6ft6 and Bilbo Fett like this.
  13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    "Bob, this AI keeps punching out 'Terminator 7' over and over and over."
    "Hit it with a wrench!"

14. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    [Heavy Austrian accent] Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!! [/Heavy Austrian accent]

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The Sequels Have a Combined Budget of Over $1 Billion.

So, each basically averages out to be over $250m. For comparison, the first film's budget was $237m. Factoring in, also, is that that is with the cost savings of filming multiple films at once plus the New Zealand filming incentives.

Which means that, even with inflation, they're pumping a lot into these films- likely much more than what went into the first film. One imagines that the scale will be massive.

I mean, I guess it's no surprise- Cameron's films have often broken various budget records over the past few decades.

Last edited: May 9, 2020
    VadersLaMent likes this.
  16. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    If people haven't come back to cinemas in sufficient numbers by the time these movies open, it might be impossible for them to make their money back.
    These films really depend on huge ticket sales in cinemas.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    They won't be 2009 levels of attendance but, by xmas 2021, the likely availability of a a vaccine will certainly ease a significant amount of unease and restrictions over public gatherings. Even at reduced attendance levels, in a worst case scenario, they'll probably make the budget back for all four films with only two films (likely one film).

Not to mention, ultimately, it's more important to Disney for the content to help support the Pandora theme park area, as that'll influence 10-20 years of theme park attendance revenue.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  18. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    But that's just the thing, we don't know for a fact that there will be a vaccine. It might happen by then, or it might not, there's absolutely no way to predict it.
    They still don't have a vaccine for AIDS, so there's definitely no reason to believe scientists can come up with a vaccine for every virus.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, like I said, "likely". Most reports have estimated 12-18 months is the development time for one normally and there seem to be inroads of progress towards the goal already. Obviously, I'm no expert, so I can't say with certainty- but this seems to be a more traditional virus compared to something like AIDS (ie: something that can be fought with an immune system vs something that diminishes the immune system), so I wouldn't consider that a baseline comparison for expectations.

Even with that aside, anything scheduled for xmas 2021 is in a far better off position in terms of likely public access and attitudes. And, even then, if attendance remains low due to paranoia or lack of a vaccine, my original point still stands that the Avatar films will be in a much better off place given their costs can be spread across not only the gross of 4 different films but half a decade.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  20. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Whether he deserves it or not, I think Cameron will get praised for resurrecting worldwide cinema after the pandemic.

Luke02 likes this.
  21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Cameron, Landau and foreign crew have arrived in New Zealand to begin their mandated isolation period, in advance of resuming production on the sequels. They were apparently able to circumvent the closed borders through an economic clause.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    BigAl6ft6 and Luke02 like this.
  22. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  23. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    New Zealand, Antarctica and space. The three places we know of that does not active cases of COVID-19.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    My apartment too! They could've filmed here :(

Luke02 likes this.
  25. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    James Cameron and these Avatar sequels are like how Lucas was in the late-70s planning out SW films.

Luke02 likes this.