main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "Forget all you know, or think you know." - The Willow Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ahsoka's Tano, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    VadersLaMent likes this.
  2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  3. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
  4. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
  5. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I actually shared the trailer on the other Willow thread in the Lucasfilms forum; but at least this one can get more traffic.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  6. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Looks good. Getting some Dark Crystal vibes from that.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  7. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I know VK won't be in it, but it looks like the actress who played Sorsha and the little person who played the Nelwyn Vohnkar would be reprising their roles along with Warwick. I'm wondering if the baby who played Elora could possibly be reprising her role as an adult now. That would be cool.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  8. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    During Celebration they spoke to certain members of the cast

At 25:25, Warwick Davis (Willow), Joanne Whalley (Sorsha), Jon Kasdan (executive producer/writer)

At 40:20, Ruby Cruz (Kit), Ellie Bamber (Dove), Erin Kellyman (Jade) -- Erin was also in Solo (Enfys Nest) and Falcon/Winter Soldier series on D+

9. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Well needless to say I'm extremely excited that Whalley said "yes" to reprising her role. I can't imagine she'd ever think that she would be performing as Sorsha some three decades later.

It should be interesting how they explain the absence of Kilmer/Madmartigan. Hopefully it's not some lame cover like he died from some obscure illness or an off-screen battle that happened years before.

10. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is how you do a trailer right.

Borrowing a page from the original teaser trailer that ranks among my all time favorites.

Barriss_Coffee and FatBurt like this.
  11. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Looking forwards to this.

I believe a rewatch is in my imminent future

12. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Funny thing is that it wasn't that long ago - maybe about a year or so ago - when I bought the Blu Ray of the original movie. This was before I had subscribed to Disney Plus, of course.

13. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I did a rewatch of Willow the other day. Still holds up if you
    (a) ignore all the times they use a fake baby
    (b) ignore how bad it looks when the Brownies are inserted into a scene
    (c) ignore the typical George Lucas love story where two characters magically fall in love for no reason

Otherwise, it's great. Story is solid. Good comedic elements. Creepy elements are still creepy.
    I didn't realize how similar it was to The Lord of the Rings. Also, the music has hints of Star Wars where parts reminded me of the Main Theme and other parts remind me of the Ewok Village. I had to google to see that the composer wasn't John Williams, but actually James Horner (who sadly passed in 2015).

I'm looking forward to the premiere tomorrow. I like the music in the trailers, but the new cast isn't doing it for me yet so I hope to be pleasantly surprised to see them act.

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I mean, they got married -- it's not like it was no reason. :p

Sarge likes this.
  15. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I plan on doing a re-watch of the original movie before watching the first episode of the new series.

I have some time, since my Disney Plus/Hulu subscription just ended (I had a nice discount) and I'm debating about what to get now. I barely watch Hulu at all and ESPN+ hardly has anything I'm interested in (that I couldn't already watch on the Cable ESPN channels); so the Bundle trifecta is up on the air.

16. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Trying to keep expectations in check, at this point I just hope the production value looks and feels big.

Ahsoka's Tano and Sarge like this.
  17. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I'm not sure what to expect. The LOTR series had certainly raised the bar on epic fantasy series like this.

Sarge likes this.
  18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    This isn't epic fantasy. This fills the "fun high fantasy" niche, whereas LOTR fills the "serious high fantasy" (or "epic" if you want) niche. And HOT-D is the "grimdark, semi-realistic fantasy"... they're all really different.

19. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    That may be, but Willow was special to me in it's own way. Maybe it wasn't the high bar that Peter Jackson set with his movies, but it was still memorable. It really had a little bit of everything.

20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Oh, do not mistake me -- I ******* love Willow. But it's gonna be a little weird and funny and power of friendship (and hopefully not as bad/weird as the Clairemont novel sequels)...

21. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Only to a fantasy connoisseur.... :p

22. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    So why when Willow zaps the troll it becomes a two headed Dragon after falling into the water is it like one of those sponges that enlarge in water or something? Anyway yah rewatched Willow on the weekend, it reminds me a bit of Temple of Doom where the dark parts and really incongruously dark with the lighter tone that's most of the movie. Anyway in the years since Warwick Davis has shown he can be a really good comedic actor (he has some funny stuff in Willow too. "They'll be a flood or a draught!") so hopefully he gets in some here

23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    ... because he used a wand that to that point the only thing he was doing with it was transforming things and not controlling it? :p

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Oh that tracks. When the thing becomes the two headed ball of flesh that's totally looks like something from Evil Dead. Guess we'll find out in an hour or so if that happens again!

25. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Aw man, this show is off to a rough start. Rewatched the movie last night, and it's so much fun. Just a great adventure movie.
    These first two episodes though... annoying hipster kids, a Willow that doesn't feel like Willow, annoying hipster kids, cliche YA romance stuff, annoying hipster kids... did I mention annoying hipster kids?

All in all, I wouldn't say that the show is terrible so far or anything, just not good. Some fun ideas, and certainly some mysteries that have potential (especially one, see spoiler tag below), but it's missing the -- well -- magic of the movie. It seems like they didn't even try to replicate the feel of the film.
    It is interesting how they seem to be making the disappearance of Madmartigan one of the central mysteries of the show. I honestly thought they'd just kill him off screen.

Also, those ****ing songs at the end of the episodes. Ugh!