main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Star Wars (2020 Post-TESB Series)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ancient Whills, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Me thinks someone should do a Star Wars marathon of all the films (which is what I'm doing at the moment :))

Maythe14thBeWithYou likes this.
  2. Doompup

Doompup Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 22, 2017
    Although I suspect you are correct about this crystal, my hope is that Luke’s new crystal will be from Qui-Gon’s saber that Obi-wan might have kept. I think it would be a beautiful way of bringing things full circle.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    Ulicus , BigAl6ft6 and PimpBacca like this.
  3. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Issue #4 solicit.
    [​IMG]
    STAR WARS #4
    CHARLES SOULE (W) • JESUS SAIZ (A) • Cover by R.B. SILVA
    EMPIRE STRIKES BACK VARIANT COVER BY CHRIS SPROUSE
    VARIANT COVER BY DANIEL ACUñA
    CATASTROPHE IN THE CLOUDS!
    • LUKE SKYWALKER, LANDO CALRISSIAN and LEIA ORGANA have returned to CLOUD CITY! They each left things on BESPIN they desperately need - a weapon, a friend, and crucial information.
    • But the city is swarming with IMPERIALS, under occupation by an EMPIRE desperate to steal its resources.
    • Things did not go well for the trio the last time they visited this place. This time... might be even worse.
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99
    Star Wars © Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM. All rights reserved. Used under authorization. Text and illustrations for Star Wars are © 2019 Lucasfilm Ltd.

4. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Leia: We're going back to Bespin. Nobody get frozen in carbonite this time, OK?
    Literally everyone else: DAMMIT LEIA

alternatively, :

Vader: I sense something. Something familiar to myself in the force. What could it possibly be? Princess Leia? No, no, that can't be it. Maybe Luke is nearby. Yes, that must be it. Not that other thing. What was it I was thinking again? Never mind.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    BigAl6ft6 and PimpBacca like this.
  5. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    This is gonna be how Leia acquired her knowledge of hibernation sickness, innit?

BigAl6ft6 and revan772 like this.
  6. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Luke lost his lightsaber. (Will he get it back? It would be weird in light of his new green blade in ROTJ, but could be explained as him coming into his own, relying less on his fathers legacy, and being a right of passage. It would also add a bit to its journey between ESB and TFA).

Lando left Lobot behind.

And Leia lost, what exactly? We don't really see her bring anything with her in the films, and she was surely searched when she was captured by the Empire. I suppose she may have hid some information before the trap was sprung, but I am curious exactly what it is she is returning for.

7. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
  8. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    #1 is finally out. looks like we're in for a treat.

Maythe14thBeWithYou likes this.
  9. Lukers

Lukers Jedi Master star 1

Jun 16, 2016
    This was really good.

Luke fans are gonna love this if the rest of the series follows suit.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    You're a wizard, Luke

BigAl6ft6 and TiniTinyTony like this.
  11. Darth_SHOT

Darth_SHOT Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 11, 2004
    What a great first issue! Soule hits another out of the park.

12. Wrinty

Wrinty Jedi Master star 3

Apr 8, 2007
    Very good first issue, all the character voices are on point.

Daneira and chrcharcor2 like this.
  13. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Lando explaining why he betrayed them to Vader was reminiscent of how Billy Dee talks about it in interviews.

Wrinty likes this.
  14. JediFett10

JediFett10 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 8, 2008
    Which was?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Just playing Devil's Advocate for a minute here....I was kind of disappointed in Lando in the new series...
    Here he is getting a ration of crap about selling them out to Vader...but what about the danger Leia, et al...put Lando and his people in. If Lando was not the leader of Cloud City he would have tried his luck and defied Vader. But he was their leader and Vader held them over Lando's head to force him to comply. Leia put all those people in danger for her cause. How many would she have been willing to see unwillingly die for her cause? I would have loved to see Lando drop that on her when she was getting all snotty with him.

16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    this was some solid comic book-ing that apparently takes place entirely in between the Falcon jumping to hyperspace at the end of ESB and Luke getting his new hand final scene. Which was cool cuz it showed one-handed Luke who has just immediately learned that Darth Vader is his father and going through some stuff (him not being able to control the Falcon guns despite thinking he could was heartwrenching). And his moment in the battle was so great, it seemed definitely like Luke didn't quite know what he was doing but him taking control of multiple TIES for a moment is a big jaw dropper that a Skywalker could pull off, but I get the feeling it was a bit dark side-y for him.

Anyway, Luke is quite broken down here and Lando is the new addition that nobody trusts which makes for a cool dynamic. Oh and Luke cracking the window at the end is a direct callback (I feel) to Vader cracking the window at the end of Vol 2 and Vader Vol 1's first arcs, which worked fantastic.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  17. Xammer

Xammer Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2009
    But the Falcon jumps into hyperspace right after Luke gets his hand. (I just rewatched the scene.)

18. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    After escaping from Bespin, the poster meant.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I would be totally okay if this entire arc took place between Bespin escape and final ESB scene, kind of like how Vader Vol 2 first arc took place in between scenes. It would be kind of badass to have a Luke one hand action adventure tale while he's still beat up from Vader.

It'll be interesting that the line from Lando in ESB is "when we find Jabba the hutt and that bounty hunter, we'll contact you." when in the issue it seems they explicitly know that Boba is taking Han to Jabba now. Although that's always been kind of a weird thing of the time passing between ESB and ROTJ when you watch the movies it feel pretty ontop of each other (like maybe a week) but the actual timeline is like a year or something. But they also did a good job here with Leia explaining that possibly the entire Alliance was wiped out and that put the Han rescue mission on the backburner. (However, as shown in the movie, Chewie and Lando leave ASAP)

Luke doing more Jedi Business in this Vol is expected, he kind of plataeu'd in the ANH to ESB period which Vol 1 of the comic sort of struggled with but Luke gets a pretty big power upgrade from ESB to ROTJ. His actions here seemed more unconscious reflex than anything though.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  20. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    The first issue for this story line was pretty entertaining. I enjoyed seeing Luke's emotional reaction and also enjoyed a use of GL's "rhyming", this time by referencing the first Darth Vader comic series when Darth Vader found out Luke was his son, This time, Luke is cracking the window. It was a nice touch.

Also, good to see a depiction of Imperial technology actually being deadly, Enjoyed the turbolaser screen.

I enjoyed the first few story arcs of the original 2015 Star Wars run. Then it progressively got worse in quality and I dropped it or the most part.

Hoping that doesn't happen here.

Also hoping we get references to the failed Mid Rim campaign with Hoth being the culmination as the Battlefront novel stated.

No point in a shared universe if you don't reference things created in other media. They go into the world building of the universe and help make up its logic.

Lukers, Xammer, Jedi Ben and 2 others like this.
  21. Wrinty

Wrinty Jedi Master star 3

Apr 8, 2007
    I mean, at this point, he can use the Force consciously when he wants to. It's just that some of the larger displays of power will be unconscious, I think. Stuff like force push, pull, acrobatics I expect to see Luke do regularly in this run.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    So you mean you want Luke to spend the entire arc without his robot hand? That would be interesting, actually.

As for the Vader comic, I'm still pissed they didn't include the actual last Vader scene from the movie, where they're standing on the Venator with Tarkin. I would've loved to see that scene with dialogue.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I watched TESB last night and just finished the 1st issue, I liked it. The art is great and Soule's writing is awesome. I'm interested in where it goes because I've always been interested in his transformation between movies. I like where it's going & including the Damerons is a cool touch as well. I do wonder one thing...after this volume (and that goes for Vader too) then what? There were only 3 movies and volume was between ANH and TESB. this volume between TESB and ROTJ what'd be next? It's not going to stop me from enjoying this volume but wondered since SW is the flagship title of the line of SW stuff and Vader is too interesting to not do anything with.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I don't know if this volume will go as long as the last one (if only because there's less time in universe between the movies) but I would hope that whatever volume comes after this (years and years later) could basically be a chunk of the Endor to Jakku period. Hopefully in like 4 years or so they'll have a bit more of the post ROTJ to pre Mandalorian world fleshed out.

But that's hella long off, I'm mostly interested in how Luke is going to get to his ROTJ power-levels/green lightsaber/believing his father is good. And lots of Lando, dangit!

son_of_skywalker03 likes this.
  25. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    Definitely! Since Luke appeared in Jabba's palace I've wondered what happened in that time period, how he got so good and had the change in confidence. This volume's gonna be epic.