main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series The Music of Obi-Wan Kenobi Series

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darth Nave, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    Which composer do you think would be the best choice to score the upcoming Obi-Wan Kenobi series on Disney+?

My ideal pick would be Hildur Guðnadóttir, the composer of Chernobyl and Joker:

Since The Madolorian experimented with music that was more unconventional by franchise standards, I’d like to see the other TV shows continue that trend. I also think that she could easily capture the loneliness and isolation that Obi-Wan would be feeling in exile on Tatooine and create something haunting and contemplative.

2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    We'll get there eventually so might as well retool this thread for more general music discussion as well.

3. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I wouldn't mind Giacchino returning for TV to do this limited series. This series should definitely have music that is more in line with the Williams stuff of the Saga films. I would also toss Ramin Djawadi in there, his orchestral stuff for Game of Thrones and Westworld is both excellent and shows great range to adapt stylistically. I also think John Powell would be great.

One negative comment, definitely no Göransson. Overall, I think his Mandalorian music sucks.

Side Note: Isn't the series already titled "Kenobi"?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    whostheBossk and Darkslayer like this.
  4. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Göransson has unequivocally created the best and most interesting music in Star Wars since the Disney purchase. Would be great to have him score the Obi-wan show too, but I suspect that a composer who best fits the style and tone of this series will be chosen. That’s as it should be. And since I have no idea what the style and tone of this show will be, I don’t know who’s the right composer for it.

But to say Göransson’s score “sucks” borders on trolling. No problem if it’s not your thing, but you must be aware of how universally praised it is here, and that you’re vigorously stirring the pot with that comment. ;)

Gräfin Zeppelin likes this.
  5. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Uncut Gems guy

6. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    I would think maybe Alexandre Desplat would be a good fit but not sure he'd do Disney + style TV show. Same with Giacchino, but I guess its possible. Maybe someone like Kevin Kiner or John Powell or even Göransson could work. Would be interesting if John Williams does it but probably not,lol.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  7. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    Throw Powell something else.

Or get Ottman for something.

Short of Silvestri & Horner, they're basically the true inheritors of that Williams sound. And Silvestri hasn't been on his A-game in years (hey, middling Silvestri's still better than most stuff out there now anyway), and Horner's... :_|

8. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    The TV shows will be doing their own thing, musically. No need for the “Williams sound.” The Mando has finally broken the mold. And I’m glad. I was getting tired of imitation Williams. Even from Williams himself. Felt like diminishing returns. Göransson’s work is much more preferable to more derivative orchestral stuff. Just set these shows to music that works best for the story you’re telling. If it’s not an operatic story, don’t use operatic music. Simple.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  9. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    [​IMG]

Nah. Mando's western vibes suit it to a tee, but that's one little corner of Star Wars.

We're bound to get more classic SW stuff in something suited to it. Tatooine-Obi's probably fitting for some western elements too, but I'd temper it quite a lot from what we get in mando. Probably should have as much of an eastern/samurai vibe to it as an old west sound, but also with the soaring heroic Johnny-boy vibes.

10. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    If it leans hard in the samurai direction, then so should the music. Same with it leaning hard in the western direction. And if it follows the operatic style of the OT? Then go Williamsy with it. The point is simply that they shouldn’t shove operatic music into a non-operatic story. That’s when the artifice shows. Just go with music that best suits (and elevates) the story.

I think people were dead wrong about the Mandalorian straying wildly from traditional Star Wars scoring. The music is one of the best elements of that show.

And I hope the creatives driving the Obi-wan show ignore the old farts arguing internally for preserving musical sacred cows. Leave the sacred cows behind. Kill them, if you have to. Then we’ll all have tasty hamburgers.

11. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Surely stating that Göransson has unequivocally created better and more interesting music than the Maestro John Williams is also stirring the pot on a Star Wars forum where his music is universally praised...

I do agree with the comments that the Kenobi music should underscore the story, which is what I always expect of a score. Whatever the music is, I definitely want it to be fitting, which the music for the Mandalorian is, but I also want the Kenobi score to be great, which the music for the Mandalorian is not.

12. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    How about a trio, consisting of Ryuichi Sakamoto on piano/synth, either Masayuki Koga or Kōhachirō Miyata on shakuhachi, and Hildur Guðnadóttir on cello?
    And there would need to be a track titled Happy Life Day, Mr. Binks.
    Not all three musicians would play together at the same time, though. Tracks would consist of solos and duets. Well, maybe the finale could feature all three together.

Darth Nave likes this.
  13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Maybe, but Görannson’s score for the Mando is also nearly universally praised on this forum. So that means we’re both stirring pots here. ;)

14. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    A Gerry Goldsmith original Planet Of The Apes style score. Lots of random plucked strings, percussion, grunts and howls... The tribal music of the Sand People.

Strilo likes this.
  15. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    Goldsmith, there's a freakin' composer.

Wish Poledouris was still around, too, Young Ludwiggy seems to have taken plenty out of the Poledouris book for Mando. Some of the stuff's straight-up Conan.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  16. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    As long as it has the Williams themes, I don't mind who does it. I'm going to be irritated though if they pull a Mandalorian and go the route of the MCU scores and have zero connective tissue.

17. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I hope they go the route of the Mandalorian score, and use music that’s best suited to the style of the show rather than jamming Williams-esque music in just because...Star Wars.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  18. Aximili86

Nov 28, 2018
    Bor really, really doesn't like Williams.

*Throws a pie in his face, runs away giggling maniacally*

Bor Mullet likes this.
  19. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    It’s true that I don’t much like Williams-lite. A lot of it is like mall music, though Giacchino did a really good job with it in Rogue One (though that fit, as it was a big, epic story). I also find his ST scores to be lacking, apart from the Kylo Ren and some of the Rey themes. What Göransson has done is just so much better and liberating for the franchise, that going back to the Williams formula would feel like a major regression to me.

20. DLCV

DLCV Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 14, 2020
  21. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I really like this theme by Williams. It might not be as instantly iconic as much of his other work, but there's a nobility to it that I'm really drawn to. I'm not much of a music person, but the little ascending stretch from 1:44 - 1:57 really reminds me of "The Spark" from TLJ as Luke walks out to face the First Order.

For those who are more musically inclined, David Collins has a fun little thread analyzing the theme:

Howard Hand and Count Yubnub like this.
  22. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    The theme and its adaptations by William Ross are really good.

GunganSlayer likes this.
  23. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I like how Vader's music is an underdeveloped, grungy precursor to the Imperial motif in ANH.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2022
    Count Yubnub likes this.
  24. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    Finished episode 3. Apart from the uniquely orchestrated hanging cue from the first episode, the stuff from Holt's camp has been pretty universally bad (IMO).

No idea why the filmmakers/composers decided to go such modern, Hans Zimmer-like route for a story that's so thoroughly connected to the other movies (the "trying something different" argument doesn't work here as this exact sound has already been done twice in a row (to better effect) in The Mandolarian and Boba Fett, in addition to... pretty much every other movie/tv show coming out now).

The duel music wasn't nearly as bad as some fans made it out to be though. It didn't distract from the scene like a lot of the other music

Last edited: Jun 1, 2022
    GunganSlayer likes this.
  25. Intergalactic Lawman

Intergalactic Lawman Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 26, 2020
    If there has been music...I've barely noticed.

Howard Hand likes this.