main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Woah. Chill. I didn't even use my mod-voice. I've been dealing with people upset about the truncation issue for a long time now. I just gave you my standard reply whenever someone brings up the issue. We do prefer to keep specific mentions of fics out of the social thread. More often it's because we want to avoid self-promotion, but sometimes I just use the same line regardless just out of habit.

Yes, the truncation sucked, and it still sucks. And it sucks that in the early years even mods were led to believe it would one day be fixed. But it also sucks to be a mod and to be yelled at for something that you had nothing to do with - and users have gotten mean with me when it has come to the truncation issue. People were warned to save their stories - obviously not everyone got the message and not everyone thought to save stories they wanted to read later. This a forum website so it isn't exactly as safe as a hard drive or the cloud. Websites go down all the time.

Sorry for the mini rant but users here have largely moved past the truncation issue and I'm thankful for it.

DarthIshtar and Gamiel like this.
  2. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Darn. I have a similar problem with one fic I wanted to recover. I have most of the early chapters, but then wrote really long posts towards the end, so while I have reviews and know exactly what was going on, I don't have those parts of the fic itself.

3. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    So I'm trying to finish packing everything up because tomorrow is moving day, and scrambling around trying to get everything in order both for the move and for the spring semester that starts this Monday, and in the middle of all of that, my dad and I get the call that my grandmother has died.

I mean, it's not at all unexpected; she was 92 years old and had stopped treatment on her breast cancer several months ago, and she's been in home hospice care since shortly after Christmas as her health rapidly declined. But for me, the timing couldn't be worse. I don't even know if I'm going to be able to attend the funeral, because I really can't miss class, especially the first few days, or I'll be hopelessly lost for the rest of the semester.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  4. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I’m so sorry to hear that. At any age, it’s difficult to lose someone so close. I hope your move goes well and I would honestly talk to the teacher. They may be able to help. I know it’s not ideal and it’s definitely your understanding of you, but I’m on your side for mourning in the way you need to, whatever outcome that is.

Lady_Misty and jcgoble3 like this.
  5. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I'm sorry to hear this. And the timing just adds to the toughness. If you would like to go to the funeral, email your professors. This is one thing they do have to be understanding of, plus being the beginning of a semester, they will likely be more willing to be accommodating. This happened to a friend of mine during a 6-week condensed summer class and all she had to do was bring in the "in memoriam" card and her absences were accommodated.

6. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Sorry to hear that @jcgoble3 ! @};- This is a very tough situation.....I had a similar incident years ago when I had to attend a funeral across a completely different country and basically called my professors at the last minute (yes, literally at the last minute and just out of nowhere and the next day, poof, I was gone just like that) but they were very understanding and will be willing to accommodate you.

7. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I know the professors will accommodate. The issue is that I would still be permanently missing critical lectures. This isn't like a job where you can take a few days off and the work will wait for you. College classes move on without you, and I can never, ever get those lectures back.

Being the very first week of the semester next week, I don't have any contacts in the classes that I could get notes from, but even if I did, I can't learn from notes. I have to physically see and hear the lecture in real time in order to retain the information. So missing a lecture is effectively an automatic grade reduction on the exam because of information I failed to retain, and I can't risk that.

DarthIshtar likes this.
  8. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I definitely understand that anxiety and its very real cause. You’re in my thoughts tonight.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  9. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Of course it's your final call to make, and you and I are/were in very different programs, but I always felt it was better to miss early lectures than later ones. And I'm not sure if you would have to travel and miss multiple days? That always is a big factor.

And you also to decide if going to the funeral is something you feel like you need to do, and maybe it's not. Funerals are for the living. Just last week before New Years, when it was looking unfortunate for my grandmother, as bad as this may sound, I was REALLY hoping that she would live until at least after I flew out so I wouldn't feel guilted into changing my flight and staying another week for the funeral. At this point, if something happens to her in the next few weeks, I'm not sure if I would fly back unless my mom wanted me to.

I guess, and this is just my thought, if you will only be missing a few hours and 1-2 lectures, then go to the funeral if you feel like you need to. If there's travel and multiple days involved, perhaps think about saying goodbye on your own terms - go for a long walk when it works for your schedule, lay some flowers down on a meaningful site for you and her, or visit her grave at a later date, etc. And just be kind to yourself.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    DarthIshtar and jcgoble3 like this.
  10. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Thanks for the thoughts everyone. Bri, I completely get what you mean when you say funerals are for the living. I'm personally not a fan of them at all. As it worked out, Grandma's kids had to schedule the visitation and funeral around multiple schedules, including other family members and the funeral home and cemetery themselves. Both visitation and service are going to be Monday, which is the first day of the semester and in direct conflict with my second of two classes that day. So I won't be going. Depending on how I feel that day, I may drive out to the cemetery for the burial.

In other news, I have moved into my apartment! Take a look:

[​IMG]

Yep, I have a ton of unpacking to do. The picture only shows half of the stuff I need to unpack; the rest was out of frame at my feet. But at least I have a bed to sleep in tonight. Tomorrow I have a ton of shopping to do.

Lady_Misty, DarthIshtar and Gamiel like this.
  11. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Congrats on the new apartment @jcgoble3 ! It looks nice.

Jedi Knight Fett and jcgoble3 like this.
  12. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I'm so happy you are in the new apartment @jcgoble3!
    I'm sorry about you grandmother. You should definitely do what you need to do and feel is right for you, there's nothing wrong with that! My grandfather died my first week in a new job in a new city and my mom told me not to come as my grandfather wouldn't want me to risk my job. I didn't need to go to the funeral to think of him or honor him, I do that every time I use my Kitchenaid mixer he gave me which reminds me of the times we cooked together. You'll remember your grandmother in your own way.

I need to get a new primary care physician... I hate looking for doctors. My migraines had changed over time, there for awhile they'd gotten more frequent, but shorter and less intense. Now they've gone back to very intense and longer than ever and they aren't responding to OTC meds. I just had one for 3 days and it finally broke this evening. But now I have a migraine hangover and feel kinda drunk even though I haven't had anything to drink other than water and tea. So yeah, I guess I should find a doctor and talk about it with them. *Sigh...*

jcgoble3 likes this.
  13. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    What she said. Nice digs.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  14. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Ack! Mav. Yeah, definitely go see a doctor about that. That's horrible! (though I also should start looking for a doctor... I put in a new patient request with my sister's doctor and they said they'd get back to me by December but nope).

Winter has finally arrived here - its been not too bad with temperatures around 0 to -5C and just a bit of snow. However, it pretty much dumped all day Monday, then we got even more yesterday. I'm kinda avoiding going out this weekend since the roads are bad. Plus tomorrow, it's supposed to go from -3C down to -18C (26F to 0F) and stay around -20 (-4F) all week.

However. I'm not complaining - where I'm from is currently -25C, they are under an extreme snowfall warning and will be getting extreme cold warnings because it's supposed to get down to -40. And when it gets so cold that Celsius and Fahrenheit meet, you know its cold.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  15. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Note to self: quit complaining about the weather. Yesterday and today all day, while we were carrying things out of my dad's house, carrying things into the apartment, running errands, carrying $340 of household and kitchen stuff into the apartment today, it has been raining nonstop the whole time plus high winds today. But on the bright side, yesterday's high was 57°F, and today it reached 66°F. On the other hand, we're supposed to get some very cold temperatures later this month, by which I mean around 20°F or so.

And yes, I spent $342.36 at Meijer today on various household and kitchen stuff. And I still need groceries. But I've lived off virtually nothing but restaurant food for a few years now, so I can live off it for a little while longer.

mavjade likes this.
  16. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I think part of me would rather move in the snow, rather than the rain. At least in the snow, you can brush it off stuff before it melts. Rain just makes everything soggy instantly. Though it would depend on how much snow and how cold.

Ah yes, the first shopping trip(s) after moving into your first place! I still have the dish set I bought on clearance for $20, but it was kinda alarming how quickly things added up.

So I was planning on going for a walk today to get some fresh air before things get "nope, too cold". And then I pulled up my blinds to a blizzard. I still might try to do a lap around the parking garage (perks of living in a condo/apartment, you can generally still 'get out' without actually having to go outside). Then I'm thinking much of this week will be spent having movie marathons while I work on my laptop.

Now, the question is, should I start with a Harry Potter marathon or Star Wars?

17. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I think a Star Wars marathon should wait until Rise of Skywalker is out on home video to do it properly. So I vote Harry Potter.

DarthIshtar and Briannakin like this.
  18. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Good call. I thought about just a PT marathon (ending with RO) since its been forever since I've seen any of them. But given the current state of the weather (it is snowing SO MUCH right now), I figured I can probably get through all 8 Harry Potter movies over the next few days, so I'm going to try.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  19. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Yeah, stuff for a new place adds up pretty quickly. But most of it will last you for while, so it's worth the investment. Check out thrift shops for some stuff too, you can find good stuff for decent prices. It might not match what you have, but that's okay!

It's been really warm here the past few days which on the one had was nice, but also it makes it feel so much colder when it ultimately will drop again. At least if it stays cold it doesn't feel as cold, if that makes any sense? And also I like winter and we've not really had one yet. :(

20. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Thrift shops can definitely help! Also, really think about what you need. I ended up going years without a toaster because (at the time) I didn't eat much toast and I just made it in the oven when I did want some. Also, Dollar Stores (at least here) have a ton of decent quality kitchen and other household items. Particularly if you only need one or two of something instead of a full set (like dishes or cutlery). I think after I moved I ended up spending over $100 at a really big dollar store here.

That makes total sense. Your body gets used to a certain temperature. I think the biggest reason why I don't plan to do much these next few days is because I know how much my body will struggle with the cold because the temperature dropped so fast. Back where I'm from, -20C is no big deal because it usually drops slowly, then it stays there for weeks. I can do much colder and it doesn't feel as cold if my body is given time to slowly get used to it.

And everything after about -25C just feels the same.

And I get liking winter and am so glad I'm getting a half-decent one even though I moved. Watching movies cuddled up in blankets is great way to spend a week (I also have to work, but I'm just typing up my notes I took last week for a report, which the museum is letting me do from home).

I made it all the way through Goblet of Fire! I think I might be done for the night, but I'll be finishing this marathon tomorrow!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    Gamiel likes this.
  21. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
  22. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I'm really pleasantly surprised by some of the Oscar noms. It seems like they aren't only nominating Oscar bait (I watched a great youtube video on the topic a few years ago). There's been years were I've never heard of any of the movies nominated but this year I've actually heard of most of them and have seen quite a few (and even more have been on my "to watch" list).

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    jcgoble3 likes this.
  23. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    *De-lurks* Howdy y'all. *goes back to lurking*

mavjade and jcgoble3 like this.
  24. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Howdy, @Cowgirl Jedi 1701.
    @jcgoble3, if you send me an amazon wishlist link, it sends the stuff to you without divulging your address. I’d be happy to warm your house. I moved last year in the snow, @Briannakin, and it was fine except for the part where I dropped a box of dishes due to the black ice and also was in fits of terror watching the movers haul my 113-year-old Steinway piano up the stairs.

I’m finally over the three weeks of coughing, but am currently sympathizing with @mavjade. My worst migraine ever wasn’t the one that made me vomit when I moved my head three inches. It was the one that went on for 17 days and literally ended an hour before a major audition. Even medical intervention at 11 days didn’t help and I didn’t get into that ensemble because I was so exhausted by the migraine.

I’m looking at a very long year because I only have time for two trips. I’m fulfilling my long-standing plan to be in Dublin for my 40th birthday and I promised my sister that I’d come visit for Memorial Day. But I’ve spent multiple years taking a few short trips before my major trip. Last year, I went to Idaho to review Wicked, Disneyland with friends as their extra set of hands for their kids, Boston to surprise my best friend’s son for his birthday, and of course, four countries in Europe in 17 days. The year before that, I went to California for a few days several times and Seattle once as well as New York City.

I know it’s a very first-world problem, but I really dislike my job and need breaks so I don’t lose heart. I may just give myself a writing retreat in a hotel somewhere and let it correspond to a show. My non-profit board member position means I get to go to a LOT of incredible stuff for free and I could just tell my boss I’ll review something, get a room at the Peery for the weekend, and bring my laptop.

25. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    After 20 years of standstill I've taken up again knitting so progress in fanfic is a bit slow. But....6 pairs of slippers were knitted as Christmas present. One sweater for myself was finished yesterday and I've already started a new one.

I wonder if I can make Obi-Wan knit in his solitude on Tatooine? :D

Or maybe not. I would probably being banned for a period of time by doing that to poor Obi.[face_laugh]