main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Does Ben Solo Deserve his own movie?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by PrincessKenobi , Jan 7, 2020.

?

Should there be a Ben Solo Movie?

1. Yes

54 vote(s)
    36.0%
  2. No

96 vote(s)
    64.0%
  1. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I suppose it would be more or less a remake of ROTS with Luke and Ben replacing Obi-Wan and Anakin, there is very little room to branch out now the comics are book ending the key moments of Ben's fall.

2. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    No.
    First, it would be the most expensive plothole fix pulled ever.
    Second, its too late.
    Third, Adam will never return untill he for some reason will have no future projects and have problems with money. Which probably will never happen.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  3. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    We need a film of Rey going to get him in the WBW. I don’t need a prequel Ben Solo film. We have comics for that.

or their Dyad somehow brings him back. There was something in the VD about their dyad transfixing space and TIME.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  4. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    I certainly don't.

5. K-2SOS

K-2SOS Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 12, 2016
    Yeah!
    You are so completely right!

No more movies about women abusers!
    And no more movies about mass murderers!
    Heck, no more movies about any murderer!
    Even better: No more movies about villains in general!!!

All movies with bad guys & villains should be scorched from this earth & erased from our memories!

From now on, movies, or even better ALL stories, as it should apply to books and all other formats of storytelling all the same, should have no more bad guys in them.

Forget the antagonist! Kill him if you have to!!!
    That’s the new thing! And best for us all as a human mankind!
    We all want only the “happily ever after” part of storytelling!

Yippee!!! We all love each other madly!
    I’m endlessly excited for all these new ways of storytelling, I can not wait!!!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    Sarge likes this.
  6. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Young Ben Solo would be a great story for Disney+ I think, but the problem is how do you tell it (other than animation)? You have to cast a new Ben obviously, but you're not getting Mark or Harrison for anything new, so how do you tell Ben's story while only alluding to his parents and his uncle/teacher?

I say that, but actually if the story was cool with a good script, I could see Mark doing a voice cameo, a few lines that Kylo hears in his head when he's off doing something, IDK.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  7. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    As an actor, he is really talented. As far as spending an entire movie on Ben, with SW movies coming out less frequently? No, do not want. There are better stories to tell. I wouldn't mind him appearing in something else, but don't want a whole movie to be about him.

Bor Mullet and Valheru_84 like this.
  8. Valheru_84

Valheru_84 Jedi Padawan

Jan 24, 2018
    No.

Adam Driver does a great job but the character of Kylo Ren / Ben Solo himself starts out very interesting but ultimately by TLJ and TROS (from what I've read and heard about his character in this movie anyway as I haven't seen TROS) he becomes more or less a joke as far as a villain goes, his character arc really doesn't amount to much and I'm simply not interested in the slightest of seeing any more on DT Kylo Ren or pre-TFA Ben Solo since I already know how his story turns out anyway.

Def Trooper likes this.
  9. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Kylo Ren in TLJ and TROS is far from a joke. He is one of the best and most interesting characters in the Star Wars saga.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    NileQT87, lovethedarkside and Sarge like this.
  10. Valheru_84

Valheru_84 Jedi Padawan

Jan 24, 2018
    He was one of the most interesting characters in the DT initially but I feel it didn't amount to much in the end, much like Finn - a defecting stormtrooper which doesn't get explored much past him having convenient detailed knowledge at times about the enemy despite being the lowly "janitor" and who goes on to whoop in joy whenever seeing his fellow brainwashed stolen generation ex-colleagues getting killed?

Even so, I don't mean Kylo as a character is a joke per se but as a villain. They literally resurrected Palpatine to insert a new credible big bad after Rian killed off Snoke because Adam's character simply didn't hold the same weight or threat to carry a whole movie, they'd shown him too many times as constantly conflicted and incompetent (including the FO), comically so (in a bad way) at times.

I felt like there was a lot of potential for him in TFA but it was squandered during the director tug of war over the following two sequels.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    Def Trooper likes this.
  11. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I’m “Bored of the Ren.”

wobbits and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  12. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Its fine. it wouldn't be about Ren.

13. Rogue Knight

Rogue Knight Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 4, 2020
    I would love a Ben Solo/ Luke Skywalker TV show that explores Luke training a younger Ben as a Jedi well before he destroys the temple and becomes Kylo Ren. I'd assume Mark Hamill would be up for it and could be de-aged (it worked well for TLJ scenes). If Adam Driver isn't interested I'm sure they could just as easily recast him since he would be younger anyway.

14. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    More Ben Solo would be great since he's the only Skywalker offspring we have from the originals. I'd love to see a prequel to the ST that establishes his motivation for falling to the darkside. Voices in the head is boring and too easy.

15. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I would care so little about such a project that I might not even realize I didn’t care.

InterestingLurker likes this.
  16. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    No.

The so called "ST" deserves to be forgotten.

17. The Chalk Jedi

Nov 8, 2019
    Fair enough, but character motivations are where most of the story's depth and interest are found. For me, seeing Ben actually have an interesting reason for falling to the darkside is one of the biggest gaps of the ST.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  18. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Thing is, I just don't find him a likable character. I would honestly prefer more Anakin and EVEN THEN that's only because of his subsequent appearnces in TCW. Otherwise? What could you do with Ben Solo? Have him kill some Jedi stragglers after the massacre (that he apparently didn't commit)? It would be weird if the movie went into how Ben Solo TOTALLY DID NOT MASSACRE those Jedi students (even when the movie trilogy basically gives that impression).

19. lovethedarkside

lovethedarkside Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 10, 2017
    If they decide to bring back Ben Solo, this is how I'd like to see them do it. As much as I enjoyed Kylo/Ben, I felt his ending was a little flat and seemed like it was abruptly dropped. I still can't wrap my head around the lack of force ghost and lack of dialog. I'd be thrilled for either animation, TV, or film to pick up his storyline and finish it properly. (For the record, I'm OK with his redemption so I'm not complaining about his arc. I just felt something was missing. I'm still- after 12 viewings - not sure why that is!)

Darth Buzz likes this.
  20. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    [​IMG]

I'd rather end any sympathy for Ben that he might have because I don't want anyone entertaining the idea that he's a good character or that his romance with Rey is in anyway good. I don't mean to sound dramatic, but I find him to be a poorly thought-out character without any redeeming qualities in a character sense. I find him boring and yet more abusive than Anakin except that his fans seem to think that's okay. I'm sorry, but I've come to realize recently that there is nothing good about this character... at all.

Take my opinion for what you will, but I felt I had to get that out there.

21. The Chalk Jedi

Nov 8, 2019
    One reason he's not likable is because we never spent any time with him. We only see Ben Solo at the very end of the trilogy, and only for a moment or two. When we finally saw Jedi Ben, he seemed cool.

So a series that lets us get to know Ben could make him likable, and also explain why the hell he was attracted to the power of the darkside. This stuff about voices in his head is boring and basically steals an honest character motivation from him.

Primary characters deserve motivations for their actions. It's sad the way they've handled these characters so far.

22. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    I'm just not interested in Ben Solo. Hell, I would rather see a movie about the life of Sheev Palpatine. And that's because I find him more interesting.

23. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    Ben Solo surviving could have been interesting, living the rest of his days in self-exile, or trying to revive Rey, or something. And then in the next trilogy way down the line, the heroes would turn to him for help, should he ever be able to forgive himself.

Unfortunately nothing interesting became of Ben. Of course I'm interested in more of his backstory, the specific reasons why he broke bad, perhaps in a post ROTJ TV series with middle-aged Luke, Leia, Han, and Lando (Sebastian Stan, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Brad Pitt, and Chiwetel Ejiofor please), but knowing that his journey doesn't amount to a great ending sort of makes me a bit indifferent, in comparison to say...Anakin's backstory.

Or a TV series.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  24. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    I think we really need this movie. It could solve a lot of the criticisms of the ST. We get Luke’s academy and Luke in his prime kicking ass. They can also put in elements of the New Republic, Snoke’s backstory and some foreshadowing of the Emperor’s return. Count me in.

Demon4x4 likes this.
  25. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I voted Yes, cos....what the hell?

He's pretty much the only character in the ST (other than Leia) that I'd have wanted to see more of, so...

The only thing is, it would be tough to do like a prequel now, considering the crucial characters that wouldn't be able to be in it, due to age and whatnot.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020