main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The Last Jedi by Jason Fry

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Jul 21, 2017.

1. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Maybe. In the case of the Comicsgaters, they seem to be pretty focused on their single target (Marvel) in regards to being anti-diversity. One member who I infrequently follow the work of (trying to understand the mindset and all that) was doing his thing years before Comicsgate "officially" started. However, I have seen some overlap -- the guy I mentioned has been attacking Star Wars and certain creators since Last Jedi and has made statements that lead me to believe that he's very pro Gamergate. So, he does seem to be a equal opportunist in terms of finding targets to harass because of the SJW conspiracy theory (the thing that really gets me is that most the "SJW" stuff -- which, incidentally, is an extremely meaningless statement -- are mostly elements that have been in the franchise long before Disney took it over, if not the very beginning.

Conversely, I did once hear a podcast interview where some pro comic writers wondered if Comicsgate was specifically targeting Marvel because it had weaker sales and therefore could make their claims that progressiveness was destroying the industry seem more plausible. I don't know if that's true or not, but I do have to concede that it seems like a very strange happenstance that so man fan hate groups with similar worldviews and agendas are popping up at the same time.

2. KSennia

KSennia Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    I haven't been able to get into the novelization. I've tried a couple of times and I'm just not feeling it. Hopefully, one day, I'll be in the right mood and I'll pick it up and love it. Part of it might be that I've got the ebook version, and all of the star wars books I've loved have all been read in paper.
    I did like the extra Leia scenes at the beginning though.
    I really didn't like the TFA novelization, either. Also read as an ebook. Hmm

3. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

This guy did a interesting breakdown of The Last Jedi Novelization which I found interesting to say the least

4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Hey @DarthInternous are there plans for a paperback for this? There's nothing listed on the RH website as far as I can see, and we're right around the point where it'd be coming out.

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Amazon UK has it listed - their date is Nov 29 2018.

6. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Do Arrow releases coincide with Del Rey US releases? I guess they're both owned by Penguin/Random House, but I think we know by now that US and UK distribution often don't match up.

It's curious because the paperback for Last Shot is listed on the RH site, but that came out after TLJ.

7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Normally the adult novels are pretty close. DI should be able to tell you better if he knows the date. The Solo HC UK release was fairly close to the US one.

8. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    Paperback is scheduled for Nov 27th of this year. Yes, the UK release should be right around then (might differ slightly since books release on different days of the week in the US/UK).

Link1130 and Todd the Jedi like this.
  9. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I've been re-reading the novelization lately. It is such quality writing. I can't understate how much the novelization and comic adaptation make me love the film so much more. The added scenes, context, explanations, etc all make the film so much richer.

Also- I love that it was Ackbar who pushed Leia to do the funeral for Han. Any time we see Ackbar's care for Leia is a good time in my book. :)

--Adm. Nick

jasonfry, Serfer and DarthJaceus like this.
  10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, different days for the UK/US markets. Some UK sellers will flog the US edition but the only practical difference will be the company name on the side.

11. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    So I heard that Luke hears a voice, "Let go" before he disappears into the Force in TLJ novel, but the voice isn't identified. Who do we think said it and do you think we'll see that person/Force Ghost in Ep IX?

12. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    It's very likely to be Obi-Wan:

And he heard a familiar voice. Maybe it was real, or perhaps it was just in his memory.
    Let go, Luke.

Jason has stated he had absolutely no inkling of what Episode IX might do with the story while he was writing, so nothing in the book is set up for any plot points. He even had to remain vague about where Luke's green lightsaber might be, only referring obliquely to a "weapon" kept on Ahch-To, because he had no idea if JJ might reveal anything later on.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  13. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Thanks @Coherent Axe ! I heard a rumor about the green lightsaber that I posted in the Episode IX spoiler thread as I don't want to discuss them here as it's not the place. But that totally makes sense that Lucasfilm would tell Jason Fry what was and wasn't on the table to have in the novel as to not contradict whatever JJ might do.

14. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002

@Coherent Axe beat me, so I'll just said "What he said"

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    TiniTinyTony likes this.
  15. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    The mention of Luke's weapon was Fry's invention. As he tells it, Lucasfilm didn't tell him anything one way or the other. If there was anything in his manuscript that might contradict material in the works, the Story Group editors would just remove or change it before sending it back to Jason. They wouldn't have to sit him down and go through all future plot points.

16. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Well I guess if they decide to show Luke's green lightsaber elsewhere in Episode IX then one would have to assume that Luke had some other weapon hidden on Ahch-To. [face_dunno]Not a big deal I guess.

17. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Yup, that's why Fry kept it vague enough to allow for any possibility.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  18. Xammer

Xammer Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2009
    Wookieepedia says this in the TROS article:
    However, I cannot find anything of the sort in the TLJ novelization. Is it bogus?

19. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Yes, it's bogus.

Xammer and Sinrebirth like this.
  20. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    100% bogus.

Xammer likes this.
  21. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    In any case, novelizations aren't canon if they contradict films.

For example, TFA novelization shows Rey and Poe meeting, but they don't actually meet until the end of TLJ.

WebLurker and Sinrebirth like this.
  22. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Though I assume Rey left almost immediately after they met in the TFA novel scene so their re-meeting in TLJ was almost tongue-in-cheek.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    PCCViking likes this.
  23. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Well, that exchange isn't canon as it contradicts the film; the rest of the novelization remains canon. It's just treated like any inconsistency in any other book.

WebLurker and PCCViking like this.
  24. Xammer

Xammer Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2009
    Thanks. I see that someone (maybe one of you) has already removed the offending paragraph from La Wook. Anyway, I re-read the Snoke passages from the TLJ novel and they are suprisingly compatible with TROS, leaving a lot for what may yet be without feeling vague.

Vialco and Sinrebirth like this.
  25. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    They are so compatible with
    Snoke-Palpatine having to take over the First Order from Sloane and so forth.