main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Simpsons

Discussion in 'Community' started by Baron-Noir, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Forget about it, now that Disney owns it, they will milk it through the end of time.......

2. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    They'll definitely keep milking 'The Simpsons' but I don't know in what form the milking will be. They have thirty years of content, does it really make sense to produce full seasons anymore? I think eventually Disney will realize it will be more effective to coast on nostalgia and we'll see shorter seasons or movie length specials

3. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Perhaps Disney kind of lets The Simpsons go away for a while, say a decade, then brings them back, but when they do it’s with Bart and Lisa as teenagers or adults.

4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Eh, I could see them letting it coast. It’s a well-oiled machine at this point, Fox reduced the budget to the corporate equivalent of a half a potato, and it gets relatively consistent ratings (to say nothing of merchandise). Why throw away money?

Now, alternatively, given that it’s Disney, I could also see them trying to rejuvenate the franchise by throwing more money into it, being disappointed when a 30 year old show can’t magically become a cultural phenomenon yet again, and then unceremoniously cancelling it after two years.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    CT-867-5309 likes this.
  5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Groundskeeper: A Simpsons Story

jp-30, CT-867-5309 and Ramza like this.
  6. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    They call him Willie because he’s all alone.

7. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    They'll definitely keep milking 'The Simpsons' but I don't know in what form the milking will be.

Does Matt Groening have a say in all of this?

8. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    No. At the absolute most he could remove his name from the credits and give up design approval authority (assuming he even does the latter any more). That would causes the show to continue running but without paying him, so... uh, yeah, that isn’t going to happen.

9. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Tbh I haven't watched new episodes of the Simpsons in many years; probably going back to at least a decade. I think sort of like Saturday Night Live, it seemed all the new episodes involved were the retelling of stories with the same jokes and sometimes stale new ones. At least Disney plans on updating their problem with the syndicated episodes on the Subscription App; every one of the old episodes will be available in their original 4:3 format in early 2020.

https://www.gamesradar.com/disney-plus-the-simpsons-aspect-ratio-fix-4-3-16-9/

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  10. RokurGepta

RokurGepta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2010
    Anybody know the status of the Disney+ Simpsons presentation vis-á-vis the aspect ratio? Has it been fixed is what I mean. Can’t afford to miss any o’ them Jokes(TM) in the periphery

11. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    It's still forthcoming, because apparently it's very difficult to implement something they already have I guess.

RokurGepta likes this.
  12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  13. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Since this thread got bumped (great read BTW), I have to recommend Mike Reiss' book Springfield Confidential. He gives a lot of insight into the process during his early and late tenures on the show and The Critic in a way that's more reliable than a lot of the earliest behind the scenes material ever was.

Now if someone could just get Al Jean to do a tell-all...

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
  14. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    16 episodes.

[​IMG]

15. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    So For the last 3 months I have watched 26 and a half seasons of the Simpsons and I gotta say this show is something. I have laughed hundreds of times watching this show. Cried a couple of times. I was trying to watch all of the show but I think this quote from the episode Flanders Ladder sums it up “now I realize this was a waste of time”

If I had to say which was my favorite episode I would say Barthood. If you couldn’t tell I also watched a few post season 26 episodes. And it was one of the last I watched but it was my favorite.

darkspine10 and The2ndQuest like this.
  16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Need to catch up on the last few episodes. My Tivo had up to the Treehouse of Horror but that got delayed because of football. Then my tivo's drive died. Gonna see if I can catch up on Hulu or if I have to wait for D+ to get the latest season.

17. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Wondered if a thread for this existed.

I'm curious.

When did you all give up on the Simpsons?

Are there still true believers, watching every Sunday night?

The show has been on so long now, there are more episodes since I quit watching then what I watched.

And whenever I try to give it another chance, something makes me cringe within minutes, and I am done.

Perhaps it was always thus, and only I am the one who changed...

Bah!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2022
  18. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    What would you rather do - watch three new Simpson episodes or read the three most recent Garfield Books?

19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm about a season or two behind- mostly because my Tivo died two Novembers ago and by time I was able to replace it, storm damage forced me to move, which apparently redamaged the Tivo and forced my cable bill to jump up higher than I could justify. So now I just haven't settled back into a new habit of watching the Animation Domination trio in their separate streaming environments yet. Plan to catch up still.

Only time I really stepped away from the show was in the 5-6 year stretch before the movie came out and gave the series a creative shot in the arm. And even that was mostly because that was before I had gotten a Tivo and had conflicting viewing schedules on Sundays (though it was the weaker stretch of the series too, which didn't help).

Last edited: Mar 24, 2022
  20. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I gave up after about season 13

It just stopped being great and refused to evolve unlike other sit-coms
    Now it lives off the legacy of seasons 1-10 which are still awesome, I'm just surprised Disney puts so much effort into marketing the show now because I don't know a single person who watches it anymore and I doubt kids do unless their parents show them the early stuff

21. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    I don't honestly know. I assume by the choice offered, there is some critical dislike for recent Garfield?

22. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    The descent in quality of The Simpsons was very gradual (Seasons 3-5 constitutes the greatest television comedy in history, 6-10 a mashup of the excellent/good/mediocre), but Season 11 marked the definitive end. Among other faults, the tone became absurdist, Homer devolved into an insufferable ---, guest-star appearances were unimaginative, and mean-spirited conceits jumped to the fore (e.g., the death of Maude Flanders). It was simply a different show: I left and never looked back.

There's nothing to be bitter about, though. 150+ superlative episodes is more than one could ask for. The healthiest attitude is to cherish the gems as one does the Chuck Jones-era Looney Tunes shorts. Long since past...never coming back...but immortal.

TCF-1138 and Jedimarine like this.
  23. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    So is it because you enjoy it, 2nd? Or is it more a completion-ist impulse to stay the course?

I know for me, I will tune in now and then to see how it's going, just because I feel like I should. I loved this show so much, it seems like I should be able to capture some part of that again.

But it never works.

24. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    When I got into Futurama, because it was the better show.
    Yet, even with roughly 10 seasons worth, I seem to have an infinite amount of pop culture Simpsons references.

Jedimarine likes this.
  25. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    No my opinion - but general critical con Cecilia is similar to late simpsons.