main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Why does sidious call him Vader?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Starwarsisover, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Starwarsisover

Starwarsisover Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 18, 2017
    Is it because he’s an invader like he’s insidious?

Any ideas always wondered this but presumed it was because he was invading the temple for the sith.

2. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    In-universe answer: Anybody's guess how the Sith dole out their names. It represents a losing/killing of your former self and succumbing to a new identity.

Out-of-Universe answer: It sounds evil and that's pretty much how bad guys are named in SW.

CampOfSorgan and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  3. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
  4. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    OOU-it was setting up the OT.

IU-Sith names, seem to come via communion with the dark side of the force. Vader happened to be the name Sidious gained from his meditations within the dark side of the force.

AusStig and cratylus like this.
  5. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    I think this is a good theory. Whatever their characteristics are, just remove the "in-" prefix to get their Sith name.

Future Star Wars movies to feature Darth Visible, Darth Sufferable and Darth Continent.

6. Starwarsisover

Starwarsisover Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 18, 2017
    Darth Continent is a great shout.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  7. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    At least they’re not incontinent.

Right, the myth of ‘Dark Father’ in Dutch being ‘Darth Vader’. Hmmm. Dark Water.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  8. Mark Pierre

Mark Pierre Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 8, 2016
    Because... THE FORCE DID IT!!!

Sorry, I'll let myself out.
    [face_batting]

CampOfSorgan likes this.
  9. Jedi_Prophet77

Jedi_Prophet77 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2017
    I like the simplicity of this idea, actually. 'Darth Vader' does have a better ring to it than the other possibility 'Darth Traitor'.[/QUOTE]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    CampOfSorgan likes this.
  10. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Makes you wonder if Sidious had the name up for sleeve for a while, or thought it up on the spot. I’ve always felt as if the Dark Side ‘told’ him the name in the moment.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  11. Jedi_Prophet77

Jedi_Prophet77 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2017
    That's interesting. I can see it both ways.

12. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I've always interpreted the scene of him naming Vader as reaching into the Force, or something, especially with the weirdass moaning noises he was making and the echo effect on his voice being some indication of that. And with the potential interpretation from TROS of how Rule of Two actually works being some kind of spirit transfer type thing, I can't help laughing at the idea of dozens of Sith inside Palpatine's mind debating over what to call the next Sith Lord

"Vader! Go with Vader!"
    "No, that's lame, he's more like a Darth Malevolus!"
    "**** off, call him Darth Icky"
    "Oh my Sith, just shut up, all of you, I'm going with that first one"
    (Collective disappointed sighs and one tiny "yay!")

AV-6R7, LedReader, BRE and 4 others like this.
  13. mysterycultist

mysterycultist Jedi Youngling

Jan 9, 2020
    He was driven to the dark side because he was becoming a father. In the ROTS moment that he vowed loyalty to Sidious, Anakin said he was doing it to save Padme, the mother of his children, from death in childbirth, and Sidious names him Darth Vader. His whole character arc in OT revolves around his children and his son redeeming him. I know there's deeper readings and other contributing factors behind the scenes to the name, but given the final results, I think that ultimately the father-origin rings truest. I guess we just have to cope with the fact that this implies an in-universe existence of proto-German and, by extension, like Latin.

14. Rey Palpatine

Rey Palpatine Jedi Youngling

Dec 30, 2019
    Yes! I agree that it was invader "Vader" and insidious "Sidious". Maybe it's not such a coincidence that you add "in" to both. In is the new meaning of sith. Ya, they're super popular now. Sith are in! *pun intended*

15. darthderrick77

darthderrick77 Jedi Youngling

Aug 10, 2020
    he calls him vader because they like to say that anakin skywalker is dead and no more, and vader is reborn a new person he is not anakin he is somebody else fueled with anger and hatred. in the comics it shows obi wan kenobi cutting down anakin into the lava, then vader walking out of the lava reborn.

Vinylshadow likes this.
  16. Kronin

Kronin Jedi Knight

Nov 3, 2016
    I can't find a source for my statement (maybe it was Lucas during the the official commentary of the scene?), but this should be close to the official answer. I remember something about Sidious questioning the Force and from it obtaining the inspiration for the new identity to assign to the disciple.

This is actually not so different from the Jedi listening to the will of the Force believing that they have to do something rather than another (think to Qui Gon, getting interest toward Anakin since before the blood exam).

One of the things that I love of ROTS is that in more situations depict the Sith and the Jedi pretty similar between them, just to faces of the same coin (in parallel with the doubts of Anakin/Vader about not being more able to clearly see the difference between the two orders at the end of the movie).

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  17. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Sure, it makes perfect sense that Sidious would give his new apprentice a new name. But the original question as I understand it is why "Vader". Well, why NOT Vader? For all we know the word may be an ancient Sith word with a special significance that only the Sith would understand. I'm sure he didn't just make the name up right after Windu was killed. He must have had the name in mind long before that. Again, the Sith are pretty much kept a mystery throughout the saga. So it's difficult to tell why they do certain things or choose certain names. I doubt we will ever get a definitive answer.
    By the way, did anyone know there is an actual town in WA state named Vader? I found that today on Google maps by accident. I wonder where that came from? Had Lucas maybe been there and liked the name? Interesting coincidence though. I wonder if they have an unusual high percentage of SW fans there, or maybe even a statue of SW Vader. According to Wiki it was named after a resident whose actual family name was "Vader".
    Then I found this picture:

[​IMG]

Supposedly it actually exists on the town's cathedral. I had never imagined a church would decorate their buildings with a fictional villain! Really strange....

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    lord_sidious_ and BRE like this.
  18. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i know about dark father, but i always relate to it as "invader' .
    and the scene of Anakin kneeling and getting a new name is kind a devil's version of biblical renamings.

19. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    In Universe:

Invader is Vader
    Insidious is Sidious
    tyrant is Tyranus
    plague is Plagueis

:p

The more meaningful answer is Vader comes from the German Vater which comes from the Larin Pater which is Father.

20. Lobey-One Kenobi

Lobey-One Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2009
    Good question, and I like the idea behind in-Vader and in-Sidious.

I interpret that scene in that way too. There’s a moment where he pauses after ‘you shall be known as...’ and looks away from Anakin for a moment as if he’s thinking or hearing something, then he delivers the line ‘Vader’ as if he’s thought ‘yes, of course that’s a great name for him’.

21. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    No, no, that’s actually the most likely answer. Consider that he was doing the weird moans and heavy breathing, then a pause just before he says the name.

That may have been him tapping into the Dark Side.

Kato Sai likes this.
  22. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    Well yeah, we seem to talk a lot about the Force, the "will" of the Force, the dark side or whatever. But does it actually have a consciousness that can put words into people's heads? I personally doubt it. Kenobi describes it as an "energy field". In none of the Lucas movies anyone says that the Force also has intelligence, will or consciousness. At least not that I know of.

23. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    It was actually an alternative name for ''dark father'' in the original trilogy. Since he was the dark father of Luke. And the saga is about the family.

Invader is not special as all the Sith lords are actually invading somewhere in a galaxy far far away.

24. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    The problem is that he was named Darth Vader even before ANH was made. At that point Lucas had no plan to make him Luke's father. That idea came later.

25. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    Sidious petitioned the dark forces for a name and Vader was the response.

CampOfSorgan and Iron_lord like this.