main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Future Of The Force/Force Users Post TROS

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Ghost, Mar 25, 2018.

?

They should, whether still called "Jedi" or not... (see post for more detailed descriptions)

1. 1A- allow marriage/offspring/family

56.8%
  2. 1B- NOT allow marriage/offspring/family

9.6%
  3. 1C- multiple temples, some like 1A, some like 1B

24.0%
  4. 2A- be centralized, all accepting assignments obediently from a single council/leader

10.4%
  5. 2B- NOT be centralized, wandering do-gooders following the Force

31.2%
  6. 2C- multiple temples, some like 2A, some like 2B

36.8%
  7. 3A- affiliated with the (Newer?) Republic

14.4%
  8. 3B- NOT affiliated with any government

46.4%
  9. 3C- mutiple temples, some like 3A, some like 3B (and some even possibly serving other governments)

21.6%
  10. 4- Should be of all careers/cultures, not strictly "Jedi"... & even non-sensitives

21.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    True but it doesn't look like she is going to follow Luke's EU story? It looks like she is following George's original ending for Luke in ROTJ? Basically Luke becomes a wandering Jedi.

2. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    Hard to say because she found her family with the resistance despite what reylos think with poe and Finn so I’m sure she’ll return to them, it would be cool to see her help force sensitives then slowly build her thing.

3. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    I think Rey's yellow lightsaber signifies that she is going to follow the Jedi path of old rather than the disillusioned path of the prequel Jedi.

The yellow sabers were made by ancient Jedi and passed on to the Jedi Temple guards over the generations. When making TCW Filoni wanted Ahsoka's 2nd saber to be yellow but George rejected it because the Jedi at the time couldn't make yellow sabers.

A yellow saber represents....
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    rocknroll41 likes this.
  4. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I honestly don't think we're getting any New Jedi Order stuff for a while. LFL had a huge opportunity called the sequel trilogy to tell that tale and they clearly did not want to do that. I don't think they have the desire or ambition to start rebuilding the Jedi Order. It would take multiple books, comics, potential movies, multiple writers, producers, etc, to all get on the same page, all on the same plan, and tell it.

I don't think they're ready for that. And that's without even bringing up how they probably do not want to box themselves in creatively right now.

That said, my idea would be that it starts off really small. Maybe for a couple hundred years, it's so small and decentralized that the Jedi almost never actually run into one another. In the new era, there are no masters. For all Jedi are but students in the Force. All listen to the will of the Force for guidance. The training has been kept alive and passed down, one to another, "teacher" to student. And for centuries the galaxy is so big that most Jedi monks never actually see one another. Maybe they've only really known their own teacher and that's it. Maybe they know of one another, and they communicate through the force. And maybe on the very rare occasion two meet up or cross paths "randomly".

Slowly stories are eventually passed around the galaxy telling their heroics. Some believe it's just one Jedi. Some believe its actually Luke Skywalker himself. While others believe a new Order is rising up and pray to the Force for help.

And then something happens. A new darkness emerges from the shadows and the Jedi realize they need to team up to tackle it. Maybe by then the New Republic realizes it needs an actual Order of Jedi once again.

5. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    I like that idea except again I don't want the Jedi to return to the status quo of the prequels. Where would dark side force users fit in?

DarkGingerJedi likes this.
  6. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Nor would I. In my own head-cannon I would have the new Jedi be strictly apolitical. Or least, not aligning or working for the office of the chancellor or NR. And their Order would be more mystical. There would be no grandmaster Yoda type. No council. And it would be small, for centuries at the very least.

Dark siders? Hmmm. Perhaps you could have dark side users who are Jedi. Like ... they use the dark side, but for the good. They see their role in part of the Force's plan. They're not selfish like the Sith were. They're not murders of the innocent or seeking to rule the galaxy. Something like that. But yeah, you would need some real villains again. But not Sith, that's for sure.

7. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Too bad there was absolutely nothing in the film that indicated that.

8. LukeSkywalker7

LukeSkywalker7 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 14, 2012
    If Jedi can now heal people and bring them back to life they should be space jesuses. It’s silly but that’s what we have now. If you are near Rey you pretty much can’t ever be killed and if they don’t chop your dome off you can be brought back from the dead. If they continue Rey’s story she’ll probably write a new Jedi book about putting people’s heads back on or just grow the person a new one.

9. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Not really. The last thing I want is a movie telling me that the Jedi heroes that I've loved up til this point weren't "true Jedi", because of the color of their lightsaber.

Mostly Handless and AhsokaSolo like this.
  10. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    What? Jedi could always heal people. It’s been a thing since at least TCW something George oversaw.

Also to bring someone back to life you need to sacrifice your own life. so not like Jesus at all actually.

Mostly Handless and El_Machete12 like this.
  11. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    I thought yellow meant fear. Wasn't that what the PT sorta implied? Yellow kept showing up in the PT (the car Anakin steals, Sith Eyes, etc)

Coulda sworn that was something Lucas was going after. lol

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Lightsaber colors outside of Red and White have no meaning in canon

CernStormrunner likes this.
  13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I wasn't stating a preference for it, actually. Personally, I don't like it either. I was just noting that the interpretation of that poster is simply not in the film.

AhsokaSolo and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  14. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I figured that was what you meant. I was just responding so that I could scoff at the idea. Grumpy Mods are grumpy.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  15. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    [​IMG]

The answer is yes. I'm bringing grumpy cat back into the conversation.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  16. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Indeed. Return of the Jedi set the stage for the next film to introduce us to a new Jedi Order and for reasons that I don't understand they did not do that and it doesn't feel like they will any time soon.

I've said this before but if the Jedi do come back post-TROS I think it might be best to show that their numbers are fairly small and that they're spread out over the galaxy and preoccupied with the challenges they face in their corner of the galaxy. This way there's a good reason to explain why 50 plus Jedi aren't all showing up to defeat the latest wannabe Empire. It would also give us a great way for the movies to focus on a couple of new Jedi characters before possibly bringing more Jedi together in a Avengers style team up.

I'm very unhappy with how the ST turned out so maybe setting a post-TROS movie far in the future would be the best thing. The Skywalkers and the ST are ancient history as is their baggage. The Jedi that people in the galaxy are familiar with in the Post-TROS films will be our new heroes. The new heroes are their only personal reference/connection to the Jedi that the people in the galaxy have. For young people these new heroes are what Luke was to us OT fans.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  17. TK-2814

TK-2814 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 20, 2019
    @DarkGingerJedi, @The Regular Mustache
    I understand the concern of Disney/LFL being reluctant on having more than 2 Jedi onscreen but if they make films where despite being centuries post IX the Jedi are still in miniscule numbers to where they’re in the mindset of “I’m the only Jedi alive” how would it any different from stuff that takes place between III-IV where the Jedi character the audience is following has the belief that they’re only one that survived Order 66?

I would be ok with the small amount (minimum of 40) as a starting point if they skip over Rey rebuilding the Jedi Order (so about 60-70 years after IX) provided people are aware that Jedi exist; not brush them off as myths, and the group consists of at least 5 Jedi. Because the lone Jedi narrative got boring for me after TFA.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  18. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    I am still in favor of "no marriage"/"no earthly desires" type of thing. We've seen what kind of ****storm happens when Force-brood start getting cranked out. It is too easy a weakness for an enemy to exploit. Turn someone against their siblings; turn someone against their parents; selectively breeding only the strongest Force-users...

Keep it monk-like, with varying temples allowing varying teachings/paths. But, have a single regulatory council to make sure they don't get corrupted again.

I just would like to see any "changes" to future Jedi teachings to somehow reflect/call back to the Saga and all the misfires that started this whole mess. Just a character saying, "We cannot swear allegiance to any governmental body. That didn't work out so well in the past," is perfect.

Mostly Handless and Bor Mullet like this.
  19. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Agreed. I think the "no attachments" rule is the wisest rule the Jedi had. It's the violation of that rule which brought them (and most of the galaxy) down.

Intellectual empathy and compassion = good for Jedi.

Emotional attachment = bad for Jedi.

Jedi who didn't listen to that destroyed everything.

It's quite Buddhist.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  20. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Really? One of my favorite parts of Star Wars is the attachments Luke made to his family and friends. Same goes for Cal in Jedi Fallen Order.

21. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I don’t see those as attachments. Those are friendships born of compassion. Attachment has a possessive quality to it, and I don’t think Luke was possessive. He seemed drawn to being alone, too.

That said, I do think Jedi need to be super careful about their relationships in order to avoid unhealthy attachments (and favoritism towards close people, over their duty to the public).

Mostly Handless and El_Machete12 like this.
  22. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    I want lots of different sects of Jedi, and maybe they won’t all even call themselves Jedi. I’m in the middle of the Darth Bane trilogy right now, which I love, but it gets a little simplified with every light sider a Jedi and every dark sider a sith. Human nature is so much more complex than that, and I’d love to start to see that depicted in the post-Saga gffa film universe (because I know the cartoons have touched on it). With the death of the Sith and the Jedi starting over, there’s a real opportunity to switch things up moving forward.

I also, like @DarkGingerJedi, doubt that LF wants to rebuild the Jedi and create a new universe moving forward, just based on how creatively dead the ST is in that regard. It probably won’t happen. But I’d like them to jump forward a few generations and show not a monolith of force users with one philosophy, but a universe modeled after the very early Christians, with multiple sects of force users with contradictory and competing philosophies.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  23. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    This. I’ve longed for different force-worshiping sects. Just the glimpse of it we got with the Guardians of the Whills in Rogue One was thrilling. More of that.

As long as these sects are not all crazily overpowered. Keep it grounded, and make conflicts feel like real conflicts rather than video game fights.

24. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    I like the idea of the new Jedi forming multiple sects with different philosophies and interpretations of what it means to be a "true Jedi". The problem with having a unified Jedi Order righting the wrongs of the old Order is that those wrongs were never clearly defined. For example, it is never made clear if the Jedi rule for no attachment and no marriage is a good thing or a bad thing. I think you can make a solid argument that Anakin's fall wouldn't have happened if he had stuck to the Code. But at the same time, you could argue that it was the prohibition that caused the problem. It's the same with the notion of the Chosen One, bringing balance to the Force, the nature of the dark side etc.

I have come to see this ambiguity as a strength because it leaves things open to interpretation. It makes it feel more real - like a real religion. If they were to set some of the ambiguities in stone, I'm sure it would conflict with a lot of people's interpretation of Star Wars.

It would be cool if some sects allowed marriage, while others didn't. Some thought that Anakin had brought balance to the Force, others think Rey did, while others think the Chosen One is still to come. Some eschew the dark side, while others try to keep the dark and the light in the balance. I think it could a really cool status quo. It would mean lore and being "talky" though. I'm not sure if Disney is ready for that yet.

EDIT: @AhsokaSolo Exactly.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  25. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    I expect the Saga to return by 2030 or 2035. Hopefully we the answer.