main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Should Episode Numbering Continue For This New Saga?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Darth Chiznuk , Apr 15, 2019.

?

Should the new Saga have Episode numbers?

1. Yes, of course

29.2%
  2. No, you idiot

70.8%
  1. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    As a few others said, I would replace Star Wars in the title, e.g. Knights of the Old Republic, then have a subtitle, and Star Wars can still be used in the marketing/promotion.

Beyond that, I guess I would hope there's still a lot of stylistic blending; there are times watching the films when I think, "What other franchise has this?" The crawl, for instance, is a big part of the old-school vibe, but I also really like the openings for Rogue One and Solo. And there's such a variety of elements in the GFFA that there might as well be a range of styles, too. I think keeping the music Williams-esque would be good connective tissue, though that may be limiting in a way. I don't know; I just want these films to continue to stand out.

ladygrey45 likes this.
  2. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    It’s hard to say. I think keeping it simple is better, so maybe lose the crawl and episode numbers. Maybe call each film Star Wars: (title of film). Have each film start out like Rogue One with the “a long time ago....”

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  3. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    The opening crawl is a sign of a main saga film. I think I would still want it on the new main film series.

ladygrey45 likes this.
  4. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    Yeah keep the crawl like it would Star Wars whatever series it is episode 1 to give it that star wars feel you know.

5. jaimestarr

jaimestarr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2004
    Yes! In fact, I think it's silly/confusing that the anthology films didn't not have a crawl. Solo especially. They just didn't use a crawl, but they did use captions to introduce the plot. Why? As someone said, this is like a Bond movie not having the gun barrel.

The movies should be- Star Wars: Rogue One and Star Wars: Solo. That way they sit nicely on the shelf. Ultimately, I think calling films "A Star Wars Story" has hurt them. It signals that these films are "less than" and oddly shies away from the most popular name brand in cinema.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    ImpKnight and Revan's Revenge like this.
  6. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    No. It’s time to let the number system die

7. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Seems like it'll be a firm no, but this High Republic series might fall under the same title umbrella. Could be tricky to manage, of course, but establishing another numerical system would be potentially confusing and ultimately exhausting.

8. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    I'm working on an opening crawl video idea and I'll post it when it's done (probably some time tomorrow). It's essentially one for a KOTOR series that keeps the episodic numbering and subtitles but replaces the Star Wars logo with the KOTOR one so hopefully that will give people an idea of how a new saga might look. I am using the Star Wars Main Title theme rather than the KOTOR theme for this particular video though there's certainly an argument to be made that a new saga should have a new main theme.

I do think one-offs shouldn't have a crawl but if you're making a series of films, a saga, then it should follow the same general pattern for the opening.

9. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Not only should they retire the numbering they should also retire the John Williams main score and the Star Wars logo and opening crawl. It's starting to feel like a civil war reenactment.

10. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    If any future SW movies include numbering of any kind, I will throw my popcorn at the screen. And probably my drink too.

"A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away" should remain, though.

11. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    This. I do think that the opening crawls are very at odds with the style of the ST films. You have this super-old school relic of a beginning, and then the film immediately jumps into this madly modern fast-paced insanity, and it just doesn't work. It really does feel like fans re-enacting Star Wars, for that reason. For titles, music, etc, just use what fits the type and style of story you're telling. Stop hanging new stuff on old racks. Either make it old school, or don't. This in-between thing is why the ST reminds me of the suburb I grew up in. A limbo place with a confused identity that sort of becomes a non-identity. A "geography of nowhere" to get pretentiously academic about it. Like @EHT, the only thing I think should remain constant is "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away."

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    EHT and The Regular Mustache like this.
  12. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    I think that's all they need.

EHT and Bor Mullet like this.
  13. yodasoda2187

yodasoda2187 Jedi Grand Master star 1

Sep 2, 2002
    Probably no numbers, but definitely "a long time ago..." and probably the crawl. When "Rogue One" appears in the ugliest font imaginable with music half-reminiscent of John Williams but decidedly not, it is the most awkward thing. Even after repeated viewings it still bothers me.

14. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Hardly "the most awkward thing." It was just a no-nonsense, practical font, which fit the grungy style of the film pretty well. I never understood the vitriol hurled at it.

EHT likes this.
  15. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I'm fine with Episode numbers and opening crawls in front of the ST films... they're part of the Skywalker Saga, so they should be there. Outside of that, though, and moving forward, I don't think they should be there anymore.

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  16. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    As promised, here's an opening crawl video I put together for the first film of a KOTOR saga. I used the Star Wars Main Title theme for the crawl though a brand new theme for a new saga might be fitting. I may try doing one in the future with the KOTOR theme from the games and see how that works.

As I've said previously, I think the format should absolutely be maintained for multi-film epic sagas like the Skywalker Saga with one off films like Rogue One only keeping "A long time ago..." which should start every Star Wars film.

For those who are wondering, the content off the crawl I wrote isn't meant to be an adaptation of the game. I'm using the KOTOR title and a few elements much in the same way I think Disney will if and when they get around to doing a version of KOTOR. I think they'll use the name and I actually think they'll make Darth Revan the first Sith Lord.

TK-2814 likes this.
  17. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Agreed.

EHT likes this.
  18. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I get that. But despite being part of the saga, the crawls just don’t fit the style of the ST films, in my view. They feel tacked on.

19. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Star Wars must have logarithmic episode numbers. I have spoken. This is the way.

New Prequel Trilogy - Base 10

Episode 0
    Episode 0.301030
    Episode 0.477121

New Classic Trilogy - Base 2

Episode 2
    Episode 2.321928
    Episode 2.584963

New Sequel Trilogy - Base e

Episode 1.945910
    Episode 2.079442
    Episode 2.197225

Which is great as one can decide on which order to watch. Do you watch basd on release sequence, or numeric sequence? A debate for the ages.

DarthRosie and Bor Mullet like this.
  20. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    Technically speaking, episode X could be the start of a new saga, because XI, XII, XIII as followups work just like episodes I, II, III, except now they have an X in front of them

Then we reach Episode XXX and people get really confused/concerned because they're not sure if they've bought the right movie... or if it's someone's How To Make Moonshine video

...where did you think I was going with that? For shame.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  21. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    No numbers.

Also make a new crawl system, similar to what they did with SOLO.

The numbers and original crawl should be exclusive to the Skywalker saga.

22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It should be random digits of pi instead

23. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Just do high republic episode 1.

DarthRosie likes this.
  24. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    Random digits of pi are just random digits.

25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    YOU'RE A RANDOM DIGIT :_|