main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Who was more powerful yoda or darth sidious????

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by deadly jp, Jul 28, 2014.

?

who was the true winner of the duek yoda or darth sidious?

1. Yoda

37.4%
  2. Darth Sidious

67.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ruffmeian

Ruffmeian Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2015
    I give the edge to Sidious. Like Yoda says in the novelization, the Jedi failed to change. The Sith not only changed, but evolved warfare completely by studying the force and the Jedi. What used to defeat them just doesn’t work any more.

I think if you were to categorize individual strengths, you’d find Yoda would win in terms of dueling and control. But overall, Sidious takes it. I mean, he took the whole cake already.

2. Ruffmeian

Ruffmeian Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2015
    I always stand by that Obi-Wan is the most consistent.

Princess_Tina likes this.
  3. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Right?!? :D

4. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    I don't think it mattered. Palpatine could have won that duel. Yoda could have won another. I think it's a toss up.

Obi-Wan lost to Dooku twice. And he was very lucky that Anakin's emotions were out of control during their first duel. To me, he is no more the "real deal" than the others. Why is a Force user's strength is determined by how many lightsaber duels one wins?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  5. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Dooku didn't defeat Obi-Wan, strictly speaking. He pinned him down or knocked him out. He never delivered a killing blow or took out one of his arms or anything.

6. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Obi Wan lost to Vader the second time.

He beat Maul-a glorified attack dog.

And he got beat by Dooku twice. And had to be saved by Yoda on the first occasion(not including TCW) for the moment.

Yoda fought Sidious to a draw. And forced Dooku to retreat.

Your not taking the respective power levels as portrayed into account.

7. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    o_O

8. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Sidious is stated and shown as the greatest Sith Lord who ever lived.

He defeated Yoda, the Jedi Grand Master who had about 880 years of experience and training on Obi Wan.

Sidious is A, Yoda is B, Obi Wan is C.

A>B>C.

Taking into account Sidious defeating three masters(or four but who won between Sidious and Mace is another debate, and I don't wish to bring up Vaapad here), B+C in this case, does not equal nor is greater than A.

9. SrWilson

SrWilson Jedi Master star 1

Feb 2, 2005
    Listen to the AOTC dvd when Anakin has his outburst to Padme about the tusken Raider slaughter and brings his mums corpse home its in one of those segments Lucas flat out says the dark side is outright the stronger side if you want ultimate power you have to go dark however it will be your undoing eventually. I think its where he is kneeling infront of his mums headstone actually.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    themoth likes this.
  10. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Indeed, and that makes the most sense. With awesome power comes a trade off.

11. lord_sidious_

lord_sidious_ Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 19, 2019
    I actually thought he was the most inconsistent. On one hand we have him defeating Maul, Grievous, and Vader. On the other hand, we have him defeated by Dooku twice and being saved by Anakin 9 or 10 times over the clone wars (we don't see it onscreen but it was mentioned in ROTS after the opening battle).

Yoda's claim that the dark side is quicker but not stronger never made sense to me. If it's quicker, how can it not be stronger? Consider Person A and Person B, with the same Force potential, begin training at the same time, and train equally hard. Person A gets trained in the dark side and Person B in the light side. If the dark side is quicker, than at any time point, Person A would have made more progress than Person B. How is Person A not stronger than Person B?

12. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    He only managed to do it because he had the element of surprise. They'd no idea he even had a lightsaber. Obi-Wan and Yoda were fully aware how dangerous he was by the time he declared himself Emperor.

13. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    What?

He drew his lightsaber from his sleeve and they had at least five seconds to react. They didn’t(unless we are supposed to see the scene as quicker than that-given palpatine’s jump and force enhanced scream).

And knowledge wouldn’t help them. Not where Sidious is concerned in a lightsaber duel.

Obi Wan and Yoda marching together into Palpatine’s office-the duels starts with Obi Wan dead within no less than ten seconds.

14. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Not a chance! [face_rofl]

15. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    I'll give it a minute before Obi-Wan is dead.

16. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
  17. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Honestly if anything Obi Wan fighting alongside Yoda would be a hindrance more than any assistance.

It’s like having a high school basketball player on the all star team-they may be good for their level but they aren’t at the same tier. So their team mates at best have to cover for their deficiencies.

Obi Wan is not that powerful, and we aren’t even talking about EU Sidious, where this wouldn’t even be a contest.

Obi Wan barely beat Anakin after all.

18. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    You're not convincing me. But it sure sounds like you've convinced yourself! :p

19. SrWilson

Feb 2, 2005
    The choreography didn't really do the 3 masters getting slain justice really in the book it is much more believable and threatening. If they cut the part in the movie where he stops and points his saber before stabbing it would probably look better. The point lucas was trying to state though is Sidious was more powerful than jedi masters. Again in a featurette think its the "Becoming Sidious" webisode Ric Mcallum says "Ian is a classic shakespearian actor the last thing he can do or wants to do is be a jedi master and he's not a jedi master he has got to be even more powerful than the jedi" So the intent was to show he is way beyond jedi masters in terms of raw power.

20. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    But if it were that easy for him he wouldn't have gone through that charade for 10 years pretending to be just a plain old politician. He'd just have started taking out the Jedi left and right from the moment he first became Chancellor, and nobody could have stopped him.

21. Sidious69

Sidious69 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2004
    Element of surprise????? Are you watching that scene on fast forward or something???

All 4 Jedi Masters had their lightsaber drawn ready for anything.

You make it seem like they had their backs turn and Palpatine backstabbed them. Hahahaha

Palpatine faced all 4 Jedi Masters HEAD ON. No element of surprise here. If they can't see Palpatine wield his lightsaber then they don't deserve to be a Jedi let alone Jedi Masters on the Council.

They are powerful Jedi Masters and they did see him pull his lightsaber......Palpatine is just TOO POWERFUL ....that is what that scene was meant to portray.

Yoda said its not more powerful but he also never said that the light side was more powerful either.

I think he just meant that no side is more powerful than the other. They are a balance of power.

If someone gets more powerful on the Dark Side there's always someone on the Light to meet it. And vice verse.

22. Sidious69

Sidious69 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2004

While multiple Jedi Masters is no match for him.....he can't take on all thousands of Jedi Masters along with Yoda and The Chosen One Anakin the same time.

Hence why he needed an Army and turned his only threat aka Skywalker to his side.

23. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    No, I'm not watching the scene on fast forward or anything. I've seen the movie hundreds of times, all of them without fast forward. He still had the element of surprise going for him because they couldn't have expected him to draw and attack in a split second, like he did. None of the other Sith lords we've ever seen in the films ever attacked like that. Not Maul, not Dooku. So if I'd been one of the four masters, yes, doggone it, it would have been a bit of a surprise.

Oh. I'm glad you're here to tell us these things.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  24. SrWilson

Feb 2, 2005
    Sidious is a smart tactician I doubt he would risk the Number odds he can get fatigued you know if there's too many it would literally be him vs 100s of Jedi.

Unrelated Tina but gorgeous Puddy cat :D My late Figaro was Ginger and white looks bit like her.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  25. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Alright, then. We've established even HE is not all-powerful. [face_tee_hee]