main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Where does Star Wars go as an IP from here?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by 2Cleva, Jan 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Justin Gensel

Justin Gensel Jedi Master star 2

Jun 11, 2018
    I would say that's it exactly. I think you need to have all of the elements, but which ones you allow to take center stage are what add the variety. Mandalorian being vastly different from Clone Wars in style tone and subject focus as an example, still retains all the key building blocks that make it feel like a piece of Star Wars mythology

Bor Mullet likes this.
  2. Justin Gensel

Justin Gensel Jedi Master star 2

Jun 11, 2018
    And I think their point is valid. As much as I LOVE Jedi and Force stories, that part of the mythos can feel overdone and it's also not everyone's favorite part of the material. I think that's why the story of 1313 keeps getting circulated as well as games like Republic Commando and X-Wing V TIE Fighter. These are parts of the universe that a lot of fans must feel are overlooked in favor of more lightsabers. There's no reason not to be able to tell those kinds of stories in games or shows. Prior to Rogue One's release, I was actually really interested in the idea of following the Galactic Civil War through the eyes of a band of rag tags with no special connection to the Force or the legacy of the Empire. What was the war like in the eyes of a common soldier or pilot? What were their struggles while our original heroes were fulfilling their own stories? I think you can and should be able to tell stories like that, in order to give the Force and Jedi time away so that we can become fond of and miss them again and get excited when they do appear, because we know it's something special that had a lot of thought put into its creation.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  3. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    It just becomes another generic space show. I prefer Jedi and sith lightsaber lore.

ami-padme and 2Cleva like this.
  4. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    It doesn’t “become” a generic space show unless someone makes it generic. Rogue One pulled it off, and it wasn’t generic at all. Same with the Mandalorian. And I’d argue Solo too. They did it with small touches of the force, but I don’t actually think that’s necessary for it to feel like Star Wars. The GFFA is a really unique world that’s a blend of Earth-like history and futurism. It’s not at all generic. So you can set all kinds of stories within it, and it’ll still be Star Wars.

5. Joey Arnold

Joey Arnold Jedi Knight

Mar 21, 2015
    Exactly.

cwustudent, dolphin and Bor Mullet like this.
  6. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    I think we need to wait until at least 2024 before we see any SW film. A Star Wars big screen feature should be a rarity. Fortunately, we've witnessed over the last 15 years that the small screen format can be a winning medium and can keep fans engaged. Please let the big screen format rest/recover/recuperate, Disney.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  7. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    They're extremely protective of the Jedi and yet they were a-okay with making Luke a failure for much of the ST who gave up on everything. I don't get it.

8. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Hmmm let me think on that...
    [​IMG]

9. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Good to know.

10. topgoalscorer_no11

topgoalscorer_no11 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    I see this thread's reached the passive-aggressive gif posting stage - luckily I'm here to get it back on track and spread the love.

This is where we are with Star Wars:
    • The creative voice behind the story has been pushed out.
    • The IP is owned by a soulless corporate behemoth whose only motivation is to generate cash.
    • It's now 40 years since the second and probably final genuine classic Star Wars film was released - this is a long time.
    I think the answer to the question posed by the OP is obvious: it's time for The Star Wars... to end.

vong333 and Tython Awakening like this.
  11. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Star Wars (what it was under GL) obviously ended. Star Wars (what it will be under Disney) has just begun.

The King is dead. Long live the King!

vong333 and Tython Awakening like this.
  12. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Well, it technically began under Disney five years ago, and has made them billions of dollars since then. :p

13. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Nah, that isn't where we are with Star Wars, it's merely what you think of it. Those two aren't even remotely the same thing.

The creative voice behind the whole story opted to sell his company so that others could tell stories in this universe. That was the entire point of selling it in the first place. He never planned to be more than an advisor that people could ask if they wanted to, and that probably was never meant to go beyond the sequel trilogy anyway.

Whether companies want to make money is irrelevant. These movies are made by people, and these people don't make them just so they can make some cash, they make them because they want to tell a story. The people in the industry today aren't much different than Lucas in that regard. You liking or not liking a story doesn't decide whether something is a passion-project or a cash-grab.

There has been plenty of great Star Wars content since the release of ESB. No one is forcing you to stick around if you don't like the stuff you get. But there are more than enough people who enjoy the content that has come out in the meantime.

It seems a bit odd how much value you put in George Lucas not being around anymore, yet you have no issue when it comes to ignoring his wish to see the franchise continue with other creative people telling stories. That seems a bit contradictory.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    Darth Nave likes this.
  14. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    I happened to note an interesting exchange a page or so back. All of these four quotes cite the very premise of the Star Wars saga, "A Long Time Ago, In A Galaxy Far, Far Away."

[​IMG]
    This very premise foreshadows future events in the Star Wars saga. Yet, will these future events happen? We don't know yet how far Disney is willing to take Star Wars.

I don't own Star Wars IP. I'm not concerned where the IP goes. But where does the SW saga take us as an audience? That is my concern. What sorts of plateaus and vistas of the imagination can SW open up?

I think the "Long Time Ago aspect needs to be opened up. Lucas committed himself to that very premise. However, once Lucas committed himself to that premise, Lucas backed off from unraveling its mystery. But perhaps part of Lucas's reasons for backing off from that premise were the number of other Sci-Fi franchises that emerged in the late-1970s which realized a saga connected to a post-apocalyptic humanity (Buck Rogers, Battlestar Galactica, and Star Trek). So Star Wars had to look different and feel different from these other franchises to avoid copycat storylines. The 20th Century Fox lawsuit against Universal comes to mind. https://lawstudentland.com/post/112082218294/star-wars-vs-battlestar-galactica-the-legal

What is in the Long Time Ago premise? Lucas has suggested the events in the SW saga took place a Long Time Ago in relationship to Earth history. Yet, why is everything in SW so high-tech? That seems to boggle the mind, doesn't it? Shouldn't technology get less sophisticated as we move backwards in time?

The Expanded Universe pointed out again and again that it is actually barriers of various sorts between sentient civilizations that create disparities in terms of technological advancement. Episode 9 delved into one barrier of gaining access to the Sith planet of Exegol. In watching Episode 9, we can see how the plot quickly became anchored around finding this hidden Sith planet of Exegol. https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Exegol

Thinkers of the 1970s were willing to extrapolate in arts and entertainment that other high-tech eras of history exist besides our own. A younger Lucas in the 70s appears to have been aware of these artists/writers. If we go backwards in time, we may be able to find a period of thousands of years (or millions of years) when sentient beings like ourselves were living with high-technology and even space travel. Our recent history suggests we have only lived with written language and civilization for the last 5,000 - 8,000 years. We are like infants and even babies in terms of our advancement.

Ultimately, given the cultural phenomenon that is Star Wars, the "Long Time Ago" premise will need to be finally delved into. George is retired now. Lucasfilm did however revisit this premise in the 1990s with the Abandoned Universe Alien Exodus series. https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Alien_Exodus that apparently became the Alien Chronicles https://lucasfilm.fandom.com/wiki/Alien_Chronicles

But Lucas didn't have anything to do with any of that.;) Of course not. Why would the creator of Star Wars concern himself with such nonsense? ;) Lucas owned and operated the company that carried his name, right?

You can pretend that what I'm writing is gibberish. That's fine with me. I have supported my statements.

People who connect the dots with history and space exploration are asking these sorts of questions. These types of questions are not going away. People just change the subject, insist they are an empiricist, or show discomfort towards non-speakers in order to change the subject. (oh, there's a phone call, time to switch my attention)

indydefense likes this.
  15. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    Why are the rest of the galaxies', and their planets', development measured by Earth's development?

What boggles the mind is that people don't understand the concept of a long-lost, long-forgotten society well advanced of our own. It's a sci-fi staple.

ami-padme likes this.
  16. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    Sure, of course. And we can look at Earth history and find civilizations discovering each other after centuries of separation.

We don't have any other frame of reference. We can't point to a lost civilization from Mars and recite their history. We only have our own history to use as a reference point. And the various civilizations that comprise Earth history do not agree with each other.

But in Star Wars, we only have the premise that the events in the saga took place "A Long Time Ago."

17. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Exactly. Technology doesn't always advance in a straight line either. There's no blueprint to say any species has to invent, explore, or master any technology before they can proceed to the next. Even in human standards it's not as exactly as linear some would like to blindly believe. The dark ages didn't have plumbing whereas the Roman period before it had, and then a few centuries later, it became a used and common 'technology' once again. Hell, we can't even build the Great Pyramid of Giza today, exactly as they are, using modern technology. And technology isn't always computers and electronics.

And yeah, a galaxy far, far away who advanced millions of years before our milky way did, could have had a slew of technological advances in their own right, or even skipped ones altogether that we developed. And humanity is not exactly the best example to go by in any respects; seeing as how one of the biggest technological advances in the 20th century - the internal combustion engine and its reliance on fossil fuels - has been outdated since just about the time it was invented, yet for rather stupid reasons we cling to it. Who's to say some other, better, more technological species just didn't bypass burning fossil fuels altogether and got to the 'next step' quicker.

The point is, is that there is not straight line. Sometimes it cycles, loops, forgets itself, or bypasses steps.

18. dolphin

Nov 5, 1999
    The possibilities are limitless. Thousands of alien races across thousands of planetary systems, each with their own culture and histories. No need for an Empire or Rebellion or the Force or Jedi or lightsabers.

A good story is a good story.

With that said, I don't want to see another theatrical release until 2030 at the earliest.
    Let's build up nostalgia and make a trip to the theater to see a Star Wars movie an exceptional and rare event. Of course that won't happen. Iger announced Star Wars was going on a hiatus yet the next one is slated for release Dec 2022. Less than 3 years away. Really, Iger....really?

Tython Awakening likes this.
  19. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Yeah, really. Some of us aren’t getting any younger. I don’t want to die before the next Star Wars film comes out.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  20. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Sorry dolphin, I agree with bor mullet. I don’t want to die before another Star war movie comes out.

21. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Firstly he was only 'pushed out' from the ST. He's still available to help. Not to mention that great stories can be created without him.

Secondly I'm not sure why the franchise needs to produce the equivalent of one of the greatest films in cinematic history to be viable?

I think the calls for the franchise to end are simply bombastic.

zackm likes this.
  22. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    The franchise should not end or just become Disney plus shows I think people who think that are lacking vision.

23. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    The sequel trilogy needs time to age so all the controversies can die down. The last two trilogies had similar reactions with all these controversies which people eventually came to accept. The controversies can only die down if they stop making new SW films. Then, and only then, do we start to appreciate what Lucasfilm has actually given us with Episodes 7, 8, and 9. I sure enjoyed seeing Jedi Rey take down Kylo Ren in certain scenes.

dolphin likes this.
  24. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Correlation doesn't equal causation of course.

25. dolphin

Nov 5, 1999
    @Bor Mullet @vong333 - you guys have been spoiled :) I remember there being 16 years before movies. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.